TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

autopilot camera housing (removal)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by bktiger86, Aug 1, 2020 at 6:57 PM.

1. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Hi everyone. Hope everyone is safe and healthy.

Got quick question...anybody have instructions or knows if its possible to remove that housing to get to the glass (AKA windshield) underneath?

I noticed mine is a little "foggy" underneath so I want to wipe it clean. Thanks! IMG_0114.jpg

2. zimeon

zimeon Member

Would be nice to know this, got a dead bug inside mine o_O

3. ShawnA

ShawnA Supporting Member

Hi bktiger86,

I was distressed to see much water on the glass
    in front of the cameras when I brought
    my car home after a windshield tinting...

I used some 8 1/2 x 11" sheets of computer paper.
    I held the paper on both ends and pulled it back and forth
    similar to a shoe shine...
    It took a few sheets of paper to get the water out of there.
    But it was fairly dry and clean when I finished.

A "thinner" microfiber cloth might work, similar to an eyeglass
    cleaning cloth...

Shawn

4. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

I found this video. They teach you on how to take apart the whole thing, but not to the point where it touches the glass yet.

Thanks for the suggestion. I might try with a microfiber to see if I can reach in there just in case I can't take it apart.

• Helpful x 2
  5. captjoemcd

captjoemcd Member

Just a word of caution- removing the front triple camera housing may require realignment by a Tesla SC, which is roughly an hour of labor and the hassle of an appointment.

6. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

So I went gun-ho and was like lets rip this thing apart. Was able to reach to the glass! It was a fairly simple. Couple screws inside and the whole panel came off. Be careful, the camera did come out of the sockets. I had to use tape to hold it up while I was cleaning the glass.

He is correct, I did hear about the realignment maybe required. Luckily I measured everything and made sure to put everything back exactly how it was. Please do this with caution.

After completion, I see the video quality is a lot better for dash cam + I think it is reading the lines better and detecting vehicles!

Attached Files:

• Like x 1