Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Camera Unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020 M3P UK 5,000 miles

I get the Autopilot Cameras Unavailable maybe once or twice a week, with features may be restored on your next drive info.

It appears to come in clusters which makes me think it could be environmental - temperatures, humidity or something, not always necessarily rain or water...

Is that frequency of occurance normal or does it need looking at? The odd thing is that today, despite the error message, autopilot worked normally all the road markings cones and traffic on all sides of the car displayed and the rear and fender cameras worked on the display.

I'm puzzled and irritated why this is happening on a new car...

Same problem exactly as you described. I just scheduled it since it seems to have been going on a week or so now. Also sometimes right side camera is missing on dashcam footage. If enough of us complain schedule SC appointments maybe they'll fix the quality issue.

Could it be B pillar camera condensation? Occurs rather randomly for me as well, sometimes well into a drive (when you hit the right environmental factors I suppose). Tesla considers this behavior normal since those cameras are not sealed and are somewhat exposed to the environment inside the car. The other time I’ve seen this happen on a much older software version is if you park where it’s pitch black - the first time you set off the car can think it has been blinded...

2020 M3P UK 5,000 miles

I get the Autopilot Cameras Unavailable maybe once or twice a week, with features may be restored on your next drive info.

It appears to come in clusters which makes me think it could be environmental - temperatures, humidity or something, not always necessarily rain or water...

Is that frequency of occurance normal or does it need looking at? The odd thing is that today, despite the error message, autopilot worked normally all the road markings cones and traffic on all sides of the car displayed and the rear and fender cameras worked on the display.

I just picked up my M3 a few weeks ago and I’m experiencing the same problem and my right camera isn’t working. We’re they able to fix this easily for you? I live 2 1/2 hours away from a service center and I’m hoping mobile service can handle it.

I have been getting intermittant loss of the left pillar camera since the car was new. Took a photo of some condensation in it. Service says this is normal and will clear. But yesterday (after update to 2020.32.3) I got left, the right then multiple cameras 'obscured or blinded' whilst driving at night. Odd that this morning there is another firmware update only 2 days after the last one.

For everyone,

From what I've gathered, this has a few pretty common causes
  • For the front or fender cams, a thin film or dirtiness on the lens. Even if your car is clean, stuff collects here on the fender cams in particular. A thin film of stuff might look clean enough but definitely impact visual quality (like dirty glasses).
  • For the pillar cams, condensation. For some people this self-corrects, for some it doesn't. Usually worse in cold and/or mornings.
  • In combination with dirt/films/etc., bright point light sources at night
  • In combination with dirt/films/etc., bright sunshine at a low angle (basically becomes the above case, evenings and mornings)
  • In rain, water can collect in front of the lens of the fender cameras
In winter particularly it's hard to keep the cameras happy at night. Between salty grimy films and other dirt constantly being on the car, it just can't see through in the dark.

I'd suggest carefully cleaning the lenses, but do make sure they're actually clean. Don't just spray a cleaner, use a soft cloth or something. Don't forget the camera cluster behind the top of your windshield (clean the windshield).

2020 M3P UK 5,000 miles

Just picked up our M3LR this week and it had this problem (w269 & w305 messages) when we picked it up. Noticed that the cars on the right side of the display would not show up until they were even with us on the way home. It hasn't cleared after a day and a reboot and power off/on. Checked the Dashcam and the right camera file had no data (Below). Set up service, earliest was 2 weeks out. I am surprised that this wasn't checked/corrected before delivery.

upload_2020-10-1_5-45-44.png

Just picked up our M3LR this week and it had this problem (w269 & w305 messages) when we picked it up. Noticed that the cars on the right side of the display would not show up until they were even with us on the way home. It hasn't cleared after a day and a reboot and power off/on. Checked the Dashcam and the right camera file had no data (Below). Set up service, earliest was 2 weeks out. I am surprised that this wasn't checked/corrected before delivery.

View attachment 594046

After a call to Tesla explaining my situation I got an appointment tomorrow for service.

I had to have my fender camera replaced as well. Lot of recent deliveries Q3 2020 have this issue. When the cameras video signal cable is connected it has to go on perfectly straight or the alignment tab on the camera can break. This causes a loose connection. Either a rushed or lack of trained person or improper calibrated machine has been breaking these on installation.

View attachment 594046

I took delivery yesterday and my right fender repeater is dead. Build date is 9/5/2020. Autopilot won't work because all cameras are not available. Geez...don't they run diagnostics before the car leaves the factory or is delivered to the customer? I have an appointment in two weeks to get the garage door opener activated. Maybe they can expedite since it's something delivery should have caught. Behind the glare in the lower right you can see the black rectangle with spinning icon looking for the dead camera. Sentry files also show no data...
RepeaterCam - 1.jpeg

Same for me. Picked up car in Edinburgh and got the autopilot not working message. Thought it would have been checked before delivery.

my question is: I’m booked to take it to service centre in Edinburgh later this week, it’s a long way from home and the service centre is in the middle of an industrial estate with nothing around it. Do I wait whilst it’s fixed? If so how long do we think it takes to replace side camera (not pillar) ?

If they have the unit in stock, it's a five minute replacement (assuming the side marker/camera is the problem). I found a few videos on You-Tube for how to remove the marker light. Very easy. I confirmed that both connectors were plugged in, but still no image. Hopefully it's just that marker/camera and not something further up the processing chain. I emailed my Delivery guy (it's Sunday) and he got back to me instantly and he said just bring the car in tomorrow - this should have been caught pre-delivery. We'll see.

2020 M3P UK 5,000 miles

I just picked up my car from the service center today and got the same message. This is the first time getting the message. I notified the rep at the tesla service center and he said he will check if there are any errors in their end. The car was pretty hot when I picked it up so not sure if that had anything to do with it. I’ll let you know what the service peeps say.

2020 M3P UK 5,000 miles

Hi all
I been seeing the same autopilot camera unavailable for the few days. That said i went into my service mode in my control panel. I click on CAMERA CALIBRATION which this recalibrate my camera and it seem to work. Just a thought

Reactions: gtgarner
Hi all
I been seeing the same autopilot camera unavailable for the few days. That said i went into my service mode in my control panel. I click on CAMERA CALIBRATION which this recalibrate my camera and it seem to work. Just a thought

I am fairly sure that the option to self re calibrate the camera did not exist in the car in July of 2020, when the person you are replying to made this post.

Autopilot camera unavailable notification came today for the first time in 4 years/60,000 miles, so the reasons given in this thread are probably not correct (i.e. condensation, etc.). I'm assuming that like most issues with Tesla it's a software/upgrade problem. But the autopilot seems to be doing okay keeping the car in the lane and not running into the vehicle in front of me, so apparently the cameras can see, but the image doesn't show up on the display.