Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Cameras Unavailable - Features may be restored on next drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well just like they told me it magically came back on its own this morning and all is working as should.
Very odd on why would they simply not work after a reboot. The its em is there, connected and compatible.
Why does it take so long to recognize it?

Well just like they told me it magically came back on its own this morning and all is working as should.
Very odd on why would they simply not work after a reboot. The its em is there, connected and compatible.
Why does it take so long to recognize it?

There are plenty of things in the computer world which need to be "turned off, then turned on" instead of rebooted. The two scroll wheel reboot is a reboot, not "turn it off and on again". Select "power off" in the menu and let it sit there at least 5-7 minutes for the car to go fully asleep. That is "turn it off and on again".

Reactions: David Sowden
And don't have Bluetooth on your phone and get out of the car before turning it off so you don't wake it with the seat sensors. It's hard to power the car off, but if you just leave it overnight it will usually time out and turn off at some point and the next day everything in the car has been turned off and back on again.

Reactions: David Sowden
And don't have Bluetooth on your phone and get out of the car before turning it off so you don't wake it with the seat sensors. It's hard to power the car off, but if you just leave it overnight it will usually time out and turn off at some point and the next day everything in the car has been turned off and back on again.

I have posted this before, but you dont need to turn off bluetooth or anything to use the power off setting and get out of the car. All you have to do is:

1. while inside car, open drivers door (but dont get out)
2. Select POWER OFF in the menus on the screen
3. once screen goes off, get out of the already opened drivers door, then close door. Car stays powered off.
4. Wait at least 7 minutes for car to fully go to sleep. better to do this at home and just leave the car and go back inside and do other stuff for a good hour or more ("watched pot" and all that).

This thread is a year old but this just happened to me. First trip after receiving V11 (probably coincidence since you folks were having this a year ago). Went where I was going, and then on the way back got the message "Autopilot cameras unavailable." Backing into my garage at home the backup camera worked fine.

I decided to clean the cameras just in case. I think there are supposed to be 8 cameras but I could only find six: One in the windshield, top center; one backward-looking on each side above and just behind the front wheels; one on each side forward-looking on what I think are called the B pillars; and the backup camera above the license plate.

Where are the other two?

I'll post status next time I drive. Probably in a couple of days.

3 in the windshield

i was on a Xmas trip in all this California rain and after a message about the fender cams being blinded I saw some crazy video on screen:

In this video the right camera is flickering, but the error returned and the left flickered, many times on the trip, but not since the rain stopped. No idea what to check.

Attachments

• 93EA9E7D-CD34-48AA-8ECB-E897F16A5A9B.jpeg
    93EA9E7D-CD34-48AA-8ECB-E897F16A5A9B.jpeg
    472.3 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
This thread is a year old but this just happened to me. First trip after receiving V11 (probably coincidence since you folks were having this a year ago). Went where I was going, and then on the way back got the message "Autopilot cameras unavailable." Backing into my garage at home the backup camera worked fine.

Follow-up. Drove the car today. (I don't drive every day.) Autopilot worked fine. Either it was just a temporary glitch, or maybe glare from the sun. It was just past sunrise when the message came up and I was driving right into the sun. So all is well.

Again today I got the message that the autopilot cameras were not available. And when I signaled to turn, the screen showing my blind spot was flat black. Then a couple of minutes later, it was all back to normal, and the way-too-tiny autopilot icon was back. I did nothing between losing availability and its return, as I was driving the car at the time.

Same problem with my M3LR 2021. Randomly lateral cameras going black, more often the right hand side but lately both of them. After the car sleeps in the warm garage they come back to life but as soon as I go out in rain or cold plus rain (winter is winter) the repeaters go black. I reported this to Tesla and they will send a mobile service unit in about 10days. Let's see what's happening. My bet is on camera replacements.

Lately I've been getting a lot of obstructed camera and Autopilot camera unavailable notifications. Yet when I view the camera's that are fine and the Autopilot is working okay too. This happens on just about every drive at night. How are is vision only supposed to work if this keeps happening?! Seems like Elon is wrong and we need other sensors too.

Lately I've been getting a lot of obstructed camera and Autopilot camera unavailable notifications.
Side pillar cameras?

My Model 3 gets side pillar blocked alerts on cold days. Some research shows that as the car warms up the side pillar cameras develop a bit of condensation and this triggers the alert. I found threads here with pictures of the condensation and then noticed the same thing on my car.

There's a hole in the side camera mounting...some say to remove the "tape" there...others say to leave it. I've decided to just ignore the alerts since, as you mention, the car continues to function normally.

My car continues to do this. I will get an alert that lane keeping is unavailable or that autopilot is unavailable, and when that happens if I signal a turn I get a black window where the blind-spot views would be. Everything goes back to normal within a minute or three. It can happen soon after I pull out of my garage, and it can happen at random times while I'm driving. (No cold weather here. And it doesn't seem related to rain.) I can remember only one time when the back-up camera failed when I put it in reverse to back into my garage and I had to do it without the camera. But I get the blind-spot views (or blank) much more often than the back-up camera because I turn far more often than I back up. However, I think that the back-up camera does not fail at the same times as the blind-spot cameras.

Side pillar cameras?

My Model 3 gets side pillar blocked alerts on cold days. Some research shows that as the car warms up the side pillar cameras develop a bit of condensation and this triggers the alert. I found threads here with pictures of the condensation and then noticed the same thing on my car.

There's a hole in the side camera mounting...some say to remove the "tape" there...others say to leave it. I've decided to just ignore the alerts since, as you mention, the car continues to function normally.
If this is the case then FSD will never work right. I know the windshield camera area has heating elements to prevent condensation and I thought so did the side pillar cameras. Considering it's such a big air pocket in that camera area Tesla had to know condensation would form there. But I've also got notifications that the front fender cameras were obstructed or blinded. These cars need other sensors beside a vision based system, cameras and software will never be enough for all conditions. You'd want sensors that see better than human eyes do.

If this is the case then FSD will never work right. I know the windshield camera area has heating elements to prevent condensation and I thought so did the side pillar cameras. Considering it's such a big air pocket in that camera area Tesla had to know condensation would form there. But I've also got notifications that the front fender cameras were obstructed or blinded. These cars need other sensors beside a vision based system, cameras and software will never be enough for all conditions. You'd want sensors that see better than human eyes do.

I agree but I still think Tesla is going to go all camera. I’m not happy about it.