Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Cameras unavailable - resolved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got and installed Tesla logo puddle on the driver and passenger doors. They look nice. Then I drove three hours to the airport running autopilot, mostly on NOA sweetly switching lanes by itself, nice graphics with blue lanes, minimal ping ponging with the 2019.40.50.1 firmware. Enjoying the drive. Then, after parking at airport for a few minutes, I got autopilot errors. Yellow warning that Autopilot cameras were not work and something in small print like “ maybe later”. I looked at the display, cars were imaged on the passenger side on the expressway, ultrasonic sensors on the passenger side worked, but the drivers side cameras were not showing cars approaching from behind or when driving side by side. When the cars got in front ( since I was driving slow) they showed upon the screen. The Autopilot wheel was displayed as I drove, and I could activate Autopilot ( dual blue lines). But NOA (single blue line) would not activate.

Returning home, the puddle lights were still working so no loose wires. In the morning I did a hard reset of the Tesla ( both buttons while holding the brake). I also pulled the Sentry USB drive. The USB drive (256 gb) was full! I deleted a bunch of the files and reinstalled it.

Now the driver sensors are all working. I can see cars approaching from behind and when they are side by side.

So maybe the hard reset fixed it, or maybe the USB drive was causing it. It was only on tge drivers side, so i lean towards tge hard reset reloading the camera driver software.

It more fun to drive tge Tesla when all the cameras work...it almost felt like an ICE on that drive...

i'm a bit lost one... some general maintenance took care of the problem? seems suspect.

Yes, general maintenances seems to have fixed it. But it may have been a deleting files from full USB or the hard Reset.

The timeline was, new puddle lights, next day 3 hours driving with NOA. Then parking for a few minutes, and autopilot cameras go “offline” , no NOA, with error msg implying they might fix themselves in awhile.

So I guess the takeaway is: if the autopilot camera goes offline, pull the sentry usb and do a hard reset.

it was unexpected. Changing puddle light may have caused this. An analogy, if you unplug a computer printer, you don’t expect the computer will lock up. IMO Tesla’s are new real-time tech and behave differently than other computer tech.

Yes, general maintenances seems to have fixed it. But it may have been a deleting files from full USB or the hard Reset.

The timeline was, new puddle lights, next day 3 hours driving with NOA. Then parking for a few minutes, and autopilot cameras go “offline” , no NOA, with error msg implying they might fix themselves in awhile.

So I guess the takeaway is: if the autopilot camera goes offline, pull the sentry usb and do a hard reset.

it was unexpected. Changing puddle light may have caused this. An analogy, if you unplug a computer printer, you don’t expect the computer will lock up. IMO Tesla’s are new real-time tech and behave differently than other computer tech.
I highly doubt that the USB interface has anything to do with the AP camera, but apparently strange connections are not impossible. Until this happens again, and pulling the USB drive fixes the problem (with no other debug attempts to muddy the situation), I would suggest the USB drive is a happenstance and not logically connected to your problem. But definitely not enough incidents to prove there is a connection.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Also keep in mind that the 40.1+ code enabled warning messages on the sensors saying they are blocked. This is something new and they typically clear themselves once the blocking issue is resolved (typically for me, it's when a truck is passing me on the right or left side).

Reactions: APotatoGod
I have the same error message, will try your suggested fix of pulling out USB and rebooting.

FWIW, I pulled checked the most recent videos. The left repeater videos are all "empty", ie, file size of just 600 bytes compared with approx 38MB for the right repeater. Will try again now without USB and then again after reboot (if needed) and report findings.