Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

autopilot can only be engaged at some moments and not others

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a "beef" with how the autopilot works:

how can autopilot work and drive my car down said road but if autopilot is not engaged and I drive down said road, it will intermittently allow me to engage autopilot (the grey steering wheel goes on and off, but is mostly off). This means that it is able to KEEP DRIVING through an area that it cannot START driving in. I don't get it.

thoughts? coments? criticism?

...it will intermittently allow me to engage autopilot (the grey steering wheel goes on and off, but is mostly off).,,

It's possible that you are driving in locations that are not supported by Autopilot.

Originally, Autopilot was only intended for limited access highways with a physically divided median barrier and only with merging entrances, exits without any intersections.

However, now Autopilot works in most locations but not all.

Reactions: Akikiki
I have a "beef" with how the autopilot works:

how can autopilot work and drive my car down said road but if autopilot is not engaged and I drive down said road, it will intermittently allow me to engage autopilot (the grey steering wheel goes on and off, but is mostly off). This means that it is able to KEEP DRIVING through an area that it cannot START driving in. I don't get it.

thoughts? coments? criticism?

It's more conservative in getting a lock than keeping a lock. And once it does get a lock it keeps the car where it wants which might not be exactly where you might have it to get a lock.

But I had the same thought cross my mind.

On those marginal roads I have seen it drop out. And it often doesn't do well on those marginal roads.

Reactions: Akikiki
Most often it happens when the lane lines disappear, like through an intersection.

Look at the grey steering wheel icon on the IC display. If you can see it, you can start Autosteer. If it disappears you can't start Autosteer.
Yes, that’s what I have I seen too. But if autopilot is engaged before missing lane lines, it does fine when driving through them.

Ideally autopilot should always be “armed”, or attempt to arm itself all the time, so when it is engaged, it will just take over. Possibly it should also just come on, on its own.

It has issues if at the time you engage the road ahead is not fully obstructed so it can see lane lines and other landmarks. But, if you were already engaged it knows this loss of landmarks is temporary and thus can continue for a few seconds until they appear again.

Think of it as if you were to open your eyes and see the road after having them closed for a couple of minutes versus seeing a momentary loss of the landmarks because of a dip.

PS. Can an admin move this thread? It is in the Battery & charging subsection