Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Cant Turn?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Im watching the
video on the Tesla website and it shows the car driving the whole way, and turning just based on the navigation. It also shows him getting out of the car and the car parking at the first parking space.

My 2016 Model S doesnt do this. It drives on Autopilot, but doesnt turn at intersections. If the Navigation comes to a turn, the Autopilot will just drive straight past the turn, it stays on the road headed straight.

Is this feature disabled? Im just curious

So Im watching the
video on the Tesla website and it shows the car driving the whole way, and turning just based on the navigation. It also shows him getting out of the car and the car parking at the first parking space.

My 2016 Model S doesnt do this. It drives on Autopilot, but doesnt turn at intersections. If the Navigation comes to a turn, the Autopilot will just drive straight past the turn, it stays on the road headed straight.

Is this feature disabled? Im just curious

Don't take this the wrong way, you're definitely not the first person to ask something like this, but it's absolutely incredible to me that someone wouldn't do the simplest research on such an enormously important feature/thing before spending $100,000...

Reactions: GHammer and kavyboy
Autopilot's current state can best be described as "follow the dotted line." It will follow the lines of the lane you are in. If there is a pothole in your lane, AP will hit it. If there's slow traffic in your lane, AP will follow the slow traffic. If the lane goes somewhere you don't want to go, AP will take you wherever the lane goes. The driver needs to handle any planning and intelligence above "stay in this lane."

Reactions: Tomnook
I did some basic research, but when the videos on their site, and the videos I am watching on youtube make it look like the cars are more technically advanced, then that was the confusion. Additionally when the option checked is "Full Self Driving" when I buy the car - then its a bit confusing.

I like to drive, its not a deal breaker. I was just wondering if there was a switch I needed to change somewhere, or if its coming in a future software update. Since, Im not understanding how someone elses car im watching in a video has features that I dont have.

The video on the site doesnt say "Coming in 2018 (or a future software update)" Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 7.21.31 PM.png

Appreciate the help. Makes sense now!

Interesting, recently I had an AP2 owner tell me at a Supercharger that their car can steer on highways, but does not yet have full self-driving like my AP1. When I explained that AP1 can do no more than their current AP2 they were very surprised. I wonder if the new crop of Tesla buyers are not as well versed about what their cars can do as the earlier buyers?