TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Autopilot Cant Turn?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by chris-johnson, Apr 28, 2017.

1. chris-johnson

chris-johnson Member

So Im watching the video on the Tesla website and it shows the car driving the whole way, and turning just based on the navigation. It also shows him getting out of the car and the car parking at the first parking space.

My 2016 Model S doesnt do this. It drives on Autopilot, but doesnt turn at intersections. If the Navigation comes to a turn, the Autopilot will just drive straight past the turn, it stays on the road headed straight.

Is this feature disabled? Im just curious

• Funny x 3
  2. Petra

Petra Member

That video is of future functionality that Tesla is planning on slowly rolling out via software updates in coming years for cars with Hardware 2 and the Full Self Driving package... pending regulatory approval, etc., etc.

3. chris-johnson

chris-johnson Member

Gotchya. I assumed

4. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Got beat to it, but that demo shows Full Self Driving, not Autopilot. I'm pretty sure whatever page you took that video from, it said that (I guess embedded the title is missing).

5. iqless

iqless Member

Don't take this the wrong way, you're definitely not the first person to ask something like this, but it's absolutely incredible to me that someone wouldn't do the simplest research on such an enormously important feature/thing before spending $100,000...

• Like x 2
  6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I would like to gently suggest that you thoroughly read the Autopilot section in your Tesla owner's manual so you understand what it can do before you use it. Anything specifically not stated as an Autopilot capability is something it cannot do.

7. csanders90D

csanders90D Supporting Member

Autopilot's current state can best be described as "follow the dotted line." It will follow the lines of the lane you are in. If there is a pothole in your lane, AP will hit it. If there's slow traffic in your lane, AP will follow the slow traffic. If the lane goes somewhere you don't want to go, AP will take you wherever the lane goes. The driver needs to handle any planning and intelligence above "stay in this lane."

• Like x 1
  8. Bladerskb

Bladerskb Like how many times do i have to be right?

there is no such thing.

9. chris-johnson

chris-johnson Member

I did some basic research, but when the videos on their site, and the videos I am watching on youtube make it look like the cars are more technically advanced, then that was the confusion. Additionally when the option checked is "Full Self Driving" when I buy the car - then its a bit confusing.

I like to drive, its not a deal breaker. I was just wondering if there was a switch I needed to change somewhere, or if its coming in a future software update. Since, Im not understanding how someone elses car im watching in a video has features that I dont have.

The video on the site doesnt say "Coming in 2018 (or a future software update)" Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 7.21.31 PM.png

Appreciate the help. Makes sense now!

10. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Interesting, recently I had an AP2 owner tell me at a Supercharger that their car can steer on highways, but does not yet have full self-driving like my AP1. When I explained that AP1 can do no more than their current AP2 they were very surprised. I wonder if the new crop of Tesla buyers are not as well versed about what their cars can do as the earlier buyers?

11. Petra

Petra Member

That's exactly what happens as the owner pool broadens.

• Like x 1