Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot - Car spacing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed since the .18 release that autopilot follows a lot further back even on the 1 setting which I pretty much always use. Much better before.

I also noticed this but did not notice it was after an update. Makes sense. I usually cruise at a setting of 2 which is enough for some reaction time but not enough for people to constantly cut in front of me. Not the case now. I think ill try out the 1 setting for a few days.

Auto pilot has worked well up until this morning. I put the blinker down to get into the fast lane. It made it about half way then darted back into the slow lane for no apparent reason, both lanes were clear. It really is true to stay focused and keep your hands on the wheel at all times.

TACC has also gone into hold for me when I manually creep forward closer to the car in front so the car behind can squeeze into a turn lane.

Tapping the accelerator re-engages it. After a while you learn the cadence of distance of the car in front vs. TACC moving again, and can quickly recognize when it is in hold.

Auto pilot has worked well up until this morning. I put the blinker down to get into the fast lane. It made it about half way then darted back into the slow lane for no apparent reason, both lanes were clear. It really is true to stay focused and keep your hands on the wheel at all times.
If you don’t fully engage the turn signal, and release it too soon, you will return to your original lane. Not sure where the point of no return is, but I think you can avoid this by fully engaging the turn signal.

If you don’t fully engage the turn signal, and release it too soon, you will return to your original lane. Not sure where the point of no return is, but I think you can avoid this by fully engaging the turn signal.

You do not have to fully engage, you can hold the turn signal lever in the lane change position, but you must hold it there until the wheels of the car cross the lane markers. If you let it go before that, the car will return to the original lane. Once the car crosses the lane markers, you can let it go, and the lane change signal will continue flashing until the car completes the lane change.

As an aside, the Prius the SC gave me, because they were out of Tesla loaners, has adaptive cruise control, and it seriously blows. Does this thing where, when it stops, in stop and go traffic, it requires you to use the cruise control lever or press the gas to get it going again. And then it seems to lurch forward and slam on the brakes. Awful.
I have a Toyota RAV4 with adaptive cruise control. At freeway speeds with straight roads it works really well. But I have noticed that when you set it to follow close and traffic gets slow, it does get kind of jerky on the brakes. Then it drops out altogether below 25mph. And hopefully you notice and don't crash since it stops applying the brakes even though it knows the traffic ahead just stopped.