Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot causes an accident. What now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was going through an intersection, autopilot was on, and the autopilot steered me into the center median and hit a traffic sign.

I do not have a full coverage/comprehensive insurance. Not interested in lessons right now. I have never been in an accident in all of my years of driving and that's why I don't have full coverage.

What happens now, will Tesla take any responsibility for this?

Please no "why didn't you have full coverage/comprehensive?" replies

I was going through an intersection, autopilot was on, and the autopilot steered me into the center median and hit a traffic sign.

I do not have a full coverage/comprehensive insurance. Not interested in lessons right now. I have never been in an accident in all of my years of driving and that's why I don't have full coverage.

Autopilot is considered driver assistance not fully autonomous, and it warns you frequently to have your hands on the wheel and ready to apply the brakes if necessary. Not trying to give you a lesson, but Autopilot is NOT 100% fool proof and there are many areas still that need to improved. It sucks your car is damaged, but Tesla isn't going to take responsibility.

You must be trolling. If not, you NEED to be interested in lessons because you are a danger on the road in that vehicle.

No sentient human would think autopilot is ever responsible for the vehicle’s behavior *and* also not have comprehensive insurance on a Tesla.

The outcome (crash) is your responsibility, not Tesla's. "Autopilot" is not autonomous driving. I've been a certified safety engineer for the past 30+ years, and a certified driver safety instructor. I consider myself an "above average" driver, but there's no way in hell I'd drive my MYP w/o full insurance coverage.

Autopilot is considered driver assistance not fully autonomous, and it warns you frequently to have your hands on the wheel and ready to apply the brakes if necessary. Not trying to give you a lesson, but Autopilot is NOT 100% fool proof and there are many areas still that need to improved. It sucks your car is damaged, but Tesla isn't going to take responsibility.
Not only that but OP used autopilot on city streets lol... talk about risky

There's a very simple fix here. Change the name. Stop calling it "Autopilot", and call it what it is. "Advanced Cruise Control". "NEATO cruise". "ELON cruise". "Enhanced Cruise" "Super Cruise"... oh yeah.. that's taken. But you get the idea. The system is not "auto" anything. It can't even match GM's Super Cruise. So stop calling it autopilot. That's half the issue right there. The name IMPLIES some sort of automated driving.

At the same time, man... driving without collision insurance in any new car is, just, well.... asking for it, I guess.

But what happens next, as an earlier poster put it, is your paying for the damage.

Oh, and to the troll posting about Mercedes accepting responsibility for its system in case of an accident...try reading the article before posting it. That's a level 3 system (like FSD is trying to be, but Autopilot is not), and is only approved on certain German highways, with no stoplights or other traffic signals, at speeds below 40MPH. Under those conditions, on highways tested repeatedly by them, and at under 40MPH, Mercedes will accept responsibility. Not really going out on a limb there, are they?

Last edited:
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I'm genuinely curious. How did this incident play out?

Were you relying on autopilot and simply not paying attention to the road? Did you see it coming but thought autopilot would steer you away in time?
Not only that but OP used autopilot on city streets lol... talk about risky
I use autopilot on city streets daily without issue. Is that uncommon?

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I'm genuinely curious. How did this incident play out?

Were you relying on autopilot and simply not paying attention to the road? Did you see it coming but thought autopilot would steer you away in time?

I use autopilot on city streets daily without issue. Is that uncommon?

Basic AutoPilot is (as noted above) better described as a fancy cruise control.

It does basically one thing - maintain you in your current "lane" at up to the posted speed as allowed by the car in front of you.

It will not obey signs or lights at intersections. It won't change lanes to avoid problems. And it's not great if the "lane" you are in is a complicated concept. It works great cruising along a 3 lane highway in well marked lane 2. On a city street with cross traffic, stop signs, street lights, roundabouts, etc? NOT a good match.

Full Self Driving - that's another matter, and it IS trying to solve for the most general case.

Two lessons here (one, for me, was the hard way):
1 - eyes on the road at all times, AP or FSD or whatever you wanna call it.
2 - all these years of saving money by paying for one-way insurance and not full coverage are now upside down. Compared to full insurance all these years, you are now big time in the red. It only needs to happen once. Think about it, what if you total the car? You are out a whole Tesla. One does a one-way insurance policy only on a vehicle that can be easily replaced, aka a clunker.

Autopilot only approved for Freeway use...FSD is different

do not even think about it, it is Tesla. get Mercedes instead when it is available

If you read it, the Mercedes AutoPilot legal coverage is only on the highway, under fairly narrow conditions.

It would not have covered the original poster on city streets.

That sucks. Hopefully you invested your insurance savings over the years as this won’t be cheap or quick to fix. If it takes 1 year to make a car due to back log, how quickly do you think they will get parts to fix it?

I had a friend whose front quarter panel and mirror were damaged. $16k. And still took 6 weeks to repair.