Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot challenge - Supercharger to Supercharger (200+ miles) hands off.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on a video released a few hours ago by Marc_G, when Autopilot is engaged it appears to require that every 2 minutes or so the driver must put their hands on the wheel. It is unclear to me if the wheel can sense hand contact or if the driver needs to make a very slight wheel movement to tell the Autopilot they are paying attention to the road.
--UPDATE--
My error, just read some other posts stating that they drove for many minutes (e.g. half an hour) with Autopilot engaged and got only a couple of nags. That may be because Autopilot was momentarily unable to track poor or missing lane markings.
So now I'm thinking there is no "timed" nag feature.

Last edited:
Based on a video released a few hours ago by Marc_G, when Autopilot is engaged it appears to require that every 2 minutes or so the driver must put their hands on the wheel. It is unclear to me if the wheel can sense hand contact or if the driver needs to make a very slight wheel movement to tell the Autopilot they are paying attention to the road.

Others are reporting going 30+ miles with only a couple of nags. I don't think it is time based.

Others are reporting going 30+ miles with only a couple of nags. I don't think it is time based.
Yes, my apologies. I just read a few posts where people had almost no nags on commutes of many miles.
I am thinking the nag alert only appears when the Autopilot is not highly confident of the lane markings or is in some other way unsure about how to navigate.

I just did a commute of 20 miles each way over pristine freshly resurfaced and newly painted highway. I kept getting the nag message every few minutes to hold the steering wheel.
There's got to be something going on, because I did a commute of about 20 miles over mostly poorly marked construction zone on the highway and it performed almost flawlessly. It only nagged me at one spot that I had never anticipated it would be able to handle on its own (a particularly egregious veer in the road where the construction changes from the old road to the new one). It did, however, let me drive hands free through quite a few spots that I was sure it would have me take over.

I don't know what triggers it to make you grab the wheel, maybe related to the map database as Stoneymonster suggested, but it's definitely not time-based.

as of now, you cannot enter an address and have autopilot take you there, can it? or is it just autopilot on straight freeways?

The car cannot automatically change lanes. So no, AP wont take you to an address. Also AP is meant for highway driving, I believe they need more sensors for city driving (though based on some comments EM made, I could be wrong). Also, based on my lunchtime observation of city driving with AP, when there's a curve that matches up with the intersection, AP gets confused (yeah, yeah, it's not meant for this, I know, I was testing boundaries).

And lastly the nav sucks, you're better off not using it with AP ;)

This feels like the wrong behavior to incentivize.

I'm sure I'll have fun with autopilot, and I'm not cynical about the general idea. But if you think a driving situation is marginal... grab the wheel! I'm not very comfortable with the idea of people thinking "It'll be okay... I don't want to spoil my 20 mile streak by taking manual control..."

I agree with grichard: your thread seemed tantamount to our younger days when we would challenge each other as to who could drive the midnight drive the furthest...with all lights off....