Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot changes???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to see if anyone else out there has had this happen.... yesterday on our way into work we turned on autopilot as normal. We are on small single lane highways in the country, we also go through small towns on our way in with slower speed zones. Yesterday I sped up to about 92km set autopilot and looked at some emails, the car will automatically bring the speed down to 90km with a warning about the type of road we are on. As we went through our slow zone we noticed the car felt fast and looked down and the car was showing it was in a 50km zone and was locked on 92km! Perplexed I took control back and after I accelerated to 120km and turned on autopilot, and it held the speed..... the car has always given me a warning saying that autosteer is not avail over 90km on any of the smaller roads, now it doesn't seem to matter.

Also if autopilot is on you can continue to accelerate and the autosteer stays on... in an area that was clear I turned it on and pushed the car in an 80km zone to 150km and the whole time the car said autosteer is not available yet it was doing it?
I have called it in and they have downloaded data yesterday and said it should not have. Has anyone else had this? Am I missing something.

Yesterday I sped up to about 92km set autopilot and looked at some email
You are responsible for the operation of your car whether AP is active or not. It is incredibly irresponsible and dangerous to read email while driving. If you do not care about your own life, consider the lives of others sharing the roads you drive on.

The last update stated it would limit speed on some roads. Since this time it has done this on local roads and some state highways. The limit is 5 mph over the speed limit. There is a message that states this is on during which time I am unable to accelerate above this unless I turn auto pilot off. If on any other road (Interstate and some state highways) I can accelerate and the autosteer works fine.

Yes it's a small single lane highway and has limited speed on autopilot from the start, even kicked down when speed zone changed. Just didn't yesterday and I can't seem to figure out if it was just mine. The way Tesla support spoke it sounded like a glitch as its been fine before and he said it shouldn't be doing what they see when they download the data

Yes it's a small single lane highway and has limited speed on autopilot from the start, even kicked down when speed zone changed. Just didn't yesterday and I can't seem to figure out if it was just mine. The way Tesla support spoke it sounded like a glitch as its been fine before and he said it shouldn't be doing what they see when they download the data

Was it raining? Glare on the windshield? Anything else that could obstruct the camera?

The speed limit sign detection is really quite good, I find, but relying on it 100% is a bad idea. Occassionally conditions could be just right to cause it to miss a sign.

Don't ever rely on it but I do look at my screen for a split second now and again. And I definitely do not use it to read full emails, just glance to see who they are from.
UPDATE
I did a full reset and it seems to be back to normal. Really strange

All it takes is a glance.

Autopilot will not:

Avoid obstacles.
Avoid potholes.
Avoid people.
Avoid animals.
Stop at red lights or stop signs.
Be aware of any signs.
Change speed to match speed limits.

The list goes on. There are many more things autopilot can't do, vs what it can.

Research is clear on this, and Tesla is also clear. Distracted driving is dangerous and you could KILL someone. Think about that. Someone could DIE because your e-mail was more important to you than maintaining proper awareness and control of your vehicle.

Maybe you don't care, or maybe you think the data is wrong. Unfortunately, your opinion can't override facts, and won't keep someone from getting hurt or killed at the hands of your improper use of the autopilot technology.

I went faster than the speed limit today......

(waiting for the Tesla nannies to flame me relentlessly)....

You are responsible for the operation of your car whether AP is active or not. It is incredibly irresponsible and dangerous to go over speed limit while driving. If you do not care about your own life, consider the lives of others sharing the roads you drive on.

You are responsible for the operation of your car whether AP is active or not. It is incredibly irresponsible and dangerous to go over speed limit while driving. If you do not care about your own life, consider the lives of others sharing the roads you drive on.

It's Tesla Motors fault not mine! They could have software limited the max speed of my car to match the speed limit detected by the front camera. Since they didn't I guess it's not my fault that the car continually exceeds it. If I get a speeding ticket, I think I'll just sue Tesla.

;)

I went faster than the speed limit today......

(waiting for the Tesla nannies to flame me relentlessly)....

Often times speed limits are subjective. Also, the ability for an individual to control a car at higher speeds varies from person to person, and the capabilities of their cars differ.

Not watching the road isn't subjective. Not watching gives you a 100% chance of missing something while you are not looking.

You wouldn't drink and drive would you? Texting, for instance, has shown in studies to be even worse for reaction time than drinking.

So yeah, I would put texting or checking e-mail while driving on the level of being a drunk driver, if not worse. Punishments should also be as severe, but the law hasn't quite caught up there yet in most locations.

sorry, there can be no excuse for driving while distracted, AP is an assist to you it is nowhere close to being autonomous. YOU MUST REMAIN ALERT AT ALL TIMES.
Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 10.41.22 AM.png

• Funny
Reactions: Edmond