TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autopilot collision: Autobahn driver claims his Tesla ran into a barrier on the A7

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Feb 25, 2016.

1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

IBT: It's the drivers fault/it's the drivers responsibility to control the vehicle/etc.

3. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

Was in Germany a few weeks ago. The left lane in an Autobahn construction zone is extremely tight and nerve-racking, even while driving manually. Can't imagine thinking to myself "well, let's see how this beta Autopilot does here.."

4. Spidy

Spidy Member

5. Beryl

Beryl Member

Yep. Where is the common sense? There is an area like that everywhere. On Hwy 59 there is a stretch that I wouldn't use Autosteer. TACC worked fine though.

6. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

#6 dhanson865, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    from the reddit thread

7. Modeler

Modeler Member

Agree 100%. We have construction on Dulles toll road in DC area and they put a concrete barrier just half a foot away from the left edge of the left lane. This is an HOV lane that electric vehicles are allowed to use and I pretty much cruise in this lane for about 8 miles. The thought of enabling autopilot under these conditions seems nothing short of insane to me. Computers have glitches all the time and all it would take to hit the barrier is a slight twitch of a wheel. I'd be risking my own life as well as the lives of drivers around me. The thought that someone else is stupid enough to do it scares the hell out of me.

8. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Does anyone have a Model S with AP where the ultrasonic sensors are perfect, and never fail to detect?

There are all sorts of cases where I've noticed the sensors simply not picking up what's there, but other times they work great. I've just never seen a level of consistency that would lead me to believe I could let autopilot drive in this situation.

Now I'm not saying they are defective or there is something wrong with them. I just believe that there aren't enough, and there is no way to detect things at different heights. Like sometimes they won't detect a big rig right next to me because the big rig is up higher than a normal car.

9. martinwinlow

martinwinlow Member

#9 martinwinlow, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    Does anyone with local knowledge know what the OP means by 'reflectors'? Just wondering if they are flimsy things that the car's ultrasonics wouldn't be able to 'see'? Anyway, sounds like a very minor incident, thank goodness.

Edit: Just read some of the reddit thread. So, the reflectors are just 'flimsy', so no surprise they might not have been seen by the U/S sensors. But they are only about 80mm wide and directly attached to a metre high concrete wall...!

More than the fact that the AP *appears* to have 'malfunctioned', I am amazed by the number of posters on the reddit thread who happily admit to not keeping at one hand on the wheel when using AP. Surely everyone has had at least one 'moment' using AP? Bonkers... MW

10. Whitmarsh

Whitmarsh Member

The fellow waa a silly ass (donkey, not backside) to be using AS there, wasn't he? No sympathy for him at all.

11. AwesomeAL

AwesomeAL New Member

#11 AwesomeAL, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Check out this image: http://bc02.rp-online.de/polopoly_fs/autobahn-kaarst-umbau-sperrung-autobahn-linda-1.3931552.1389198059!httpImage/1370760101.jpg_gen/derivatives/d540x303/1370760101.jpg

The reflectors are the tiny orange dots on the small wall between the lanes (to oncoming traffic). The left lanes are REALLY narrow and should only be used by people who know how to drive. The right lanes are huge (because of trucks).

12. Pinarello

Pinarello Member

I use AP frequently and think its great, but not perfect. The driver must pay attention and be ready to make corrections at any time. It is usually the fringe cases where you should not expect AP to handle all situations. This includes construction zones, when the road widens into more lanes or narrows into fewer lanes, and roads where lane markings are very poor or non-existent. 99% of the time is works well, but that is no where near where it needs to be to for autonomous driving.

13. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Fail to detect? I've NEVER seen the car take appropriate action based on the ultrasonics. Neither concrete barriers nor vehicles in lane. They are clearly detected according to the display.

Let's see what this new firmware does..

14. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I've had side-collision avoidance activate once. Pretty sure it was due to the ultrasonics when a bus tried to move an inch into my lane. I've had other MUCH closer calls when the side-collision avoidance didn't do anything, very odd behavior.

Side Collision Avoidance - disappointing?

15. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

This is the contribution I made to that reddit post:

By reading the Release Notes you would see that you should NOT activate AP in adverse weather OR construction zones. It SUCKS that you've injured your beautiful car, but hopefully this is a lesson to all to RTFM. Page 84 of your Model S manual (for reference)

16. Just a Reader

Just a Reader Member

Apparently it happened in Austria (Bad Gastein). Not much different there, though.

17. EcoHeliGuy

EcoHeliGuy Member

I get the impression he was being informative in the post while being careless in the situation. But this demonstrates why Tesla believes they need more hardware to obtain full Auto pilot. I believe the car "viewed" the reflectors as the lane markings, and because they were still visible to the camera being higher in view, the car was trying to get closer to that side.

18. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

IMHO when buying a Tesla one should prove that he generated the funds through own labor,
    that way the brand can survive as common sense will prevail in situations like this.

19. EcoHeliGuy

EcoHeliGuy Member

20. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Interesting you say that. My car seems to react consistently to things it detects from the ultra sonics like when it gets close to the concrete barrier wall it'll move itself back away based on the ultra sonics, same goes with traffic in other lanes, etc...

Jeff