Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot - Coming close to an object

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When someone is driving on autopilot on an highway and it is in the proximity of another car on the other lane that is very close to yours, how does the autopilot respond to it, does the car move a little on the other side of the road to prevent the collision?

I also noticed that on the highway, if the cars slows down from 60 to 0 really fast, the autopilot can not handle it and it disengage, why is that, it should have the camera and radar to prevent it correct? in addition, It looks like that no matter what setting you apply for "distance" between cars, it does not maintain the same distance all the times and most of the times get very close to the other car.

I also noticed that it applies brakes when it slows down while if I would drive it, I will release the accelerator pedal. When the car apply the brakes, does it prevent the charging of the battery while releasing the accelerator does not?

Thank you

When someone is driving on autopilot on an highway and it is in the proximity of another car on the other lane that is very close to yours, how does the autopilot respond to it, does the car move a little on the other side of the road to prevent the collision?
Yes. But I would not count on its consistency. I would be ready to manually intervene as needed.
I also noticed that on the highway, if the cars slows down from 60 to 0 really fast, the autopilot can not handle it and it disengage, why is that, it should have the camera and radar to prevent it correct?
Tesla Vision is promised to fix the scenario above. Pro-Lidar people said it's been fixed with the addition of LIDAR. I tend to believe the LIDAR people more than Tesla Vision's promise because Google/Waymo has had the addition of LIDAR since 2009 and they have caused zero collisions on freeways. Waymo has provided driverless rides (without any Waymo human in the car) since 2009 in 50 square mile in Chandler, AZ and it has caused zero collisions so far.
...in addition, It looks like that no matter what setting you apply for "distance" between cars, it does not maintain the same distance all the times and most of the times get very close to the other car.
Please try again on highway speed between the 2 extremes in good traffic: You would see the difference.

The difference would be less or none if the speed goes down like stop-and-go traffic.
When the car apply the brakes, does it prevent the charging of the battery while releasing the accelerator does not?
That depends. When the system automatically reduces the speed, it can use 2 kinds of brakes:

1) Regenerative brakes that recharge your battery. You know that by looking at the green meter bar. If this kind of regen brakes don't reduce the speed fast enough then it would escalate to the second kind below:

2) Friction brakes that do not recharge your battery. You know that by looking at the red/orange meter bar.