Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot computer more expensive that you might have thought

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[Shoot! Can't correct the typo in the thread title!]

My Autopilot Computer (APC) failed last Wednesday. I lost all GPS and Autopilot functionality, which turns out to affect quite a few things that catch me by surprise: no navigation; no automatic opening of my garage door; no ability to correct the wrong time zone of my clock (since the failure occurred while on a trip to another time zone); no automatic adjusting of the main screen for day/night; no automatic high beams; no automatic wipers (no neural nets running). My car does not show as driving on the CID.

My repair estimate is $1613 for the APC; I had erroneously thought for some reason that it was in the $500 range. Since my car is out of warranty, this hurts.

• Informative
Reactions: KalJoMoS
That actually begs the question - did you get HW3 as part of the infotainment upgrade, or did you get it earlier by way of paying for FSD?

You’d think the infotainment upgrade (including AP computer if they installed it as part of that upgrade) includes some sort of warranty…

I mean, Tesla will of course play dumb and fight you on this in any case, but hey…

That actually begs the question - did you get HW3 as part of the infotainment upgrade, or did you get it earlier by way of paying for FSD?

You’d think the infotainment upgrade (including AP computer if they installed it as part of that upgrade) includes some sort of warranty…

I mean, Tesla will of course play dumb and fight you on this in any case, but hey…
If the initial replace was done as customer pay, then I would expect any need for replacement of the MCU to be covered per the terms of the repair limited warranty. This in general is 1 yr / 12,500 miles, but for the case of MCU, it is 2 years and 25,000 miles.

Here's my source for that statement:

Now if the first replacement was not customer pay, done under terms of the original OEM warranty, then yes, the replaced parts are only covered until the original 4 yr/50k miles warranty expires.

Reactions: SucreTease
I paid $2250 for the Infotainment Upgrade in September 2000, and the HW3 upgrade was performed as part of that same service (it irks me that the upgrade fell to $1500 shortly thereafter......I had to get that off my chest).

I note that on the invoice the Infotainment Upgrade was listed as "Customer Pay", while the HW3 upgrade is listed as "Customer Pre-pay", which may be the key determining factor as to whether they would cover it under warranty. They will likely argue that I didn't technically purchase it at that time, but when I bought my car.

I have made the case that the APC was included in the Infotainment Upgrade kit at the time of the upgrade and that the Infotainment Upgrade was advertised as including the upgraded HW3 APC. We'll see if they accept my argument.

Last edited: