Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Concerns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve tried autosteer on some major arterial roads - 2 lanes each side separated by a median, 50 mph speed limit - and autosteer gets confused and swerves going through intersections. Not worth the hassle IMHO, but obviously YMMV.

Autosteer definitely works better for me on freeways, but it can still get confused. One time a few months ago, I was driving with AP on the freeway, in the rightmost lane, approaching an entrance ramp merge; when the right side solid line went away for the end of the merge lane, autosteer swerved right - apparently thinking the lane suddenly got wider so it should move to the center of the lane. Ugh.

I’ve had a couple of episodes of phantom braking, but always at the same location, so there’s something about that place that trips it. I confess I’m one of those who would like the ability to disable the “TA” part of TACC and manage following distance myself.

The end result for me is I seldom use either autosteer or TACC because the extra vigilance they require is more stressful than just driving fully manually. This is partly due to the current situation though; I’m driving a helluva lot less than I did a year ago. If I were driving more, the foibles of AP might be easier to deal with. Again, IMHO and YMMV.

This happened to me as well when exiting, my MY was freaking out and I overrode it quickly. I noticed the right most lane on the freeway is not a good place for autopilot to be on. Middle lane tends to be the best on our freeways in Reno.

I used to have issues with our jeep which had adaptive cruise control freaking out and braking on overpass signs on our freeway; but, that has not been an issue with the model Y

I have the same merge lane pin-balling when in the HOV lane. When approaching the end of an entrance ramp (when cars can enter the HOV lane), the dividing line disappears, so the car drifts right to center itself, but as the lines converge into the single HOV lane, the car pinballs left and right as it gets funneled back into the HOV lane. I think Tesla could consider prioritizing one line (the one that’s consistent, perhaps), but depending on which lane your in, that line could change. I do think part of the problem is striping regulations. Exit ramps should have dotted divider lines, so at least autonomous vehicles have something to “see”. A new set of standards may be in order so long as all manufacturers agree to them.

Then there’s the phantom braking thing, that’s why I don’t use EAP. I can’t believe rear end collisions aren’t a major thing. I mean who slams on their brakes for no reason on a highway doing 75+? I DO use EAP when sitting in endless throngs of slower moving traffic, like rich hour. No issues there whatsoever. Just rest one hand on the wheel and you won’t get any alerts, but since I haven’t commuted in 10 months now, I’m not URS if upgrades have changed anything.

I’ve tried autosteer on some major arterial roads - 2 lanes each side separated by a median, 50 mph speed limit - and autosteer gets confused and swerves going through intersections. Not worth the hassle IMHO, but obviously YMMV.

Autosteer definitely works better for me on freeways, but it can still get confused. One time a few months ago, I was driving with AP on the freeway, in the rightmost lane, approaching an entrance ramp merge; when the right side solid line went away for the end of the merge lane, autosteer swerved right - apparently thinking the lane suddenly got wider so it should move to the center of the lane. Ugh.
2022 M3 LR here with latest update. Just took my first long trip and wanted to comment that it's 2022 and this swerving due to merging lanes from the right issue is still happening. It was almost every 10-15 minutes during my 8 hour drive so made autosteer completely useless. Also the fact that it shuts off when I signal to change lanes added to the frustration. Our 2021 Subaru handles this so much better which I never thought would be the case.

Reactions: mycroftxxx