Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot consistency and accuracy...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@p1l0t3 it's common that the display lags the control system. It's more cosmetic and informational than what actually controls the car. It takes care of what matters, I don't worry about it.

The only recent NOA / FSD problem is that, as someone mentioned, with Mad Max and Leave Passing Lane enabled the excessive lane changes do get annoying. I tried dropping the Lane Changing down a notch to Standard, but that didn't help much, the Leaving Passing Lane (soon followed by Changing Into Faster Lane) was still excessive.

In the US it's not as religiously adhered to as in Europe. Try not leaving the leftmost lane on the German Autobahn, as you putter along at 70 MPH, with black sedans coming up behind you at 110 MPH :eek:

But on e.g. California freeways, it's like riding a 5 wide machine gun belt, and often difficult to find a lane to "leave" into! I ended up disabling it. I just ask to depart the passing lane with a tap on the blinkers when it's polite and practical, and it finds the first plausible spot to change lanes into.

There's a max speed setting, I forget where. Set it to Relative, 5 miles BELOW speed limit. That makes the car initiate more gently. Then use the scroll wheel to gradually raise the target speed. I adjust the scroll wheel all the time, instead of using the pedal(s).

You might also try "comfort steering" and acceleration to "chill". Also try setting Regen to "Low". The manual says then "Model 3 does not slow down as quickly".

Last edited:
Reactions: Kamban
@p1l0t3 it's common that the display lags the control system. It's more cosmetic and informational than what actually controls the car. It takes care of what matters, I don't worry about it.

The only recent NOA / FSD problem is that, as someone mentioned, with Mad Max and Leave Passing Lane enabled the excessive lane changes do get annoying. I tried dropping the Lane Changing down a notch to Standard, but that didn't help much, the Leaving Passing Lane (soon followed by Changing Into Faster Lane) was still excessive.

In the US it's not as religiously adhered to as in Europe. Try not leaving the leftmost lane on the German Autobahn, as you putter along at 70 MPH, with black sedans coming up behind you at 110 MPH :eek:

But on e.g. California freeways, it's like riding a 5 wide machine gun belt, and often difficult to find a lane to "leave" into! I ended up disabling it. I just ask to depart the passing lane with a tap on the blinkers when it's polite and practical, and it finds the first plausible spot to change lanes into.

I understand it is mostly informational, but even the speed sign recognition is not on par with reality. A 30m lag is what can cost me a speeding ticket, espcially in 30km/h areas (mostly schools).
Recently a street had it's speed limit changed from 50 to 30 and the car still doesn't read the speed limit sign. I guess it still base the speed on maps data which has not been updated.
And when I enter my street with a school on it, the speed limit sign on screen change far too late (so the AP will adapt far too late) from 50 to 30. This combined with the recent China pedestrian testing going south, makes me believe this is not yet ready.

It will never be "ready" and final. It's a moving target. It's never been done before.

And nobody said it was "ready" for surface street automation right now.

Some people want to be part of the experiment, and don't mind correcting manually
as it evolves, and some don't.

Last edited:
So as a quick up, since the latest update roadsigns (speed especially) recognition is better.
The new speed limit in my neighborhood that is not on gps data/maps is read and the limit adjusted immediately.
Much better.
Still the delay/lag on screen is there and bother me, but at least the sign reading is fixed. One down, one to go :)