Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot constantly moving out of right hand lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hate this "feature", it is now the single most irritating aspect of the beta. I try to keep the car in the left lane, then 2 to 3 miles before a right turn it will tell me it is changing lanes to follow the route, get ove to the right r, and then quickly moves back to the left lane with the "moving out of right hand lane" message. Back and forth until it gets within less than a mile from the turn.

Back when I had beta report icon, I reported it a lot, but Tesla seems to want it this way. Causes me to use FSD far less in some situations.
I don't like nav on autopilot so usually turn it off. Handling lane changes for the exit is not a lot of work. I don't need the computer to do it.

Really hate this moving out of rightmost lane. I can kinda see a reason to get out of the way of people exiting/entering a road. But on a Texas highway with 2 lane each direction road and no center lane/median I'd much rather drive in the right (when not passing) than be 3 ft from oncoming traffic all the time.

The moving out of rightmost lane behavior seems to be very aggressive in FSDb 25.2. Not a problem when there is no traffic, but twice today it tried to pull in front of a car in the left lane that was about to pass me. I was only able to stop it once but even then it must have looked very nasty to the guy in the left lane. Wish there was a way to stop this. I've only seen this behavior on one 4 lane road, and it doesn't seem to be an issue with NoA

The moving out of rightmost lane behavior seems to be very aggressive in FSDb 25.2. Not a problem when there is no traffic, but twice today it tried to pull in front of a car in the left lane that was about to pass me. I was only able to stop it once but even then it must have looked very nasty to the guy in the left lane. Wish there was a way to stop this. I've only seen this behavior on one 4 lane road, and it doesn't seem to be an issue with NoA
You could set auto-lane change to confirm. It sounds like a step backward, but I found my car set that way after a software upgrade. I left it that for the duration of my trip, and found it wasn’t that bad.

You could set auto-lane change to confirm. It sounds like a step backward, but I found my car set that way after a software upgrade. I left it that for the duration of my trip, and found it wasn’t that bad.
Auto lane change is set to confirm. Unfortunately FSDb ignores that setting. On this particular road the car keeps switching from FSDb to NoA and back since parts of it aren't limited access.

Amen! Very annoying, and possibly dangerous.

The solution that's worked for me is to create a "Road Trip" profile where FSDb is turned off. That way when I'm on a trip where I want autosteer/TACC, but I don't want/need FSDb, I can switch to the "Road Trip" profile and behavior reverts to just basic autopilot.

I like FSDb on local roads, but the moving out of rightmost lanes is too much.

1. It’s frequently moving over in front of people creating a potential road rage situation.

2. I’d much rather be in the right lane on a 4 lane (2 each way) undivided road. Much safer.

I’m sure the problem is the vision isn’t good enough to notice people turning ahead and do smooth maneuvering around. But “keep right except to pass” is the rule in many states, even though many do not follow it.

Reactions: beachmiles
I like FSDb on local roads, but the moving out of rightmost lanes is too much.

1. It’s frequently moving over in front of people creating a potential road rage situation.

2. I’d much rather be in the right lane on a 4 lane (2 each way) undivided road. Much safer.

I’m sure the problem is the vision isn’t good enough to notice people turning ahead and do smooth maneuvering around. But “keep right except to pass” is the rule in many states, even though many do not follow it.
Even if vision IS looking far enough ahead (and you're right, maybe it isn't), I think the reason for the behavior is that the car is simply too slow to make adjustments should a car pull out into the right lane ahead. By the time the car sees it, chimes and vibrates the wheel to let you know it wants to change lanes, turns on the blinker and then slowly makes it over to the left lane, it will be too late and the car will have to brake. So they probably decided to just sweep that issue under the rug and just get in the left lane.

Maybe in California most of the roads are busy enough where this happens so frequently you might as well hang out in the left lane anyway, but on 4 lane divided highways I drive on while on trips, there are miles between intersections and rarely any cars entering or exiting at those intersections.

Reactions: brkaus
Amen! Very annoying, and possibly dangerous.

The solution that's worked for me is to create a "Road Trip" profile where FSDb is turned off. That way when I'm on a trip where I want autosteer/TACC, but I don't want/need FSDb, I can switch to the "Road Trip" profile and behavior reverts to just basic autopilot.
Yes, I think that I will do. Fortunately I usually take a rest stop before I start that part of the trip so easy to switch profiles

Yes, I think that I will do. Fortunately I usually take a rest stop before I start that part of the trip so easy to switch profiles
I don't think you need to even stop to change profiles (at least you didn't, but I do notice the profile name is no longer at the top of the screen, so switching profiles while driving may be a bit more complicated now).

How many of you actually use Auto Lane change? I haven't found the guts to use it here in SoCal.
I used to run with auto lane change turned on, until one software update turned it off. I realized then, it was much more comfortable with it off. I was constantly having to cancel its moves and becoming annoyed at all the changes. It sounds counter-intuitive to turn that feature off (because I am a big fan of Autopilot-FSD). But after a couple of trips with it shut off, I discovered it was much more pleasant acknowledging the change I wanted it to make, rather than constantly canceling the changes I did not want. Interestingly with auto lane change shut off, it still allows it on city streets.

How many of you actually use Auto Lane change? I haven't found the guts to use it here in SoCal.
All the time on trips between the BA and SoCal. Never when just driving locally.

As to the OP: the constant nag to change lanes is why I stopped using NOA a long time ago. (just have EAP) It never made any sense to change lanes when I was driving the speed limit (or better) and would be exiting in a mile or so.

I used to run with auto lane change turned on, until one software update turned it off. I realized then, it was much more comfortable with it off. I was constantly having to cancel its moves and becoming annoyed at all the changes. It sounds counter-intuitive to turn that feature off (because I am a big fan of Autopilot-FSD). But after a couple of trips with it shut off, I discovered it was much more pleasant acknowledging the change I wanted it to make, rather than constantly canceling the changes I did not want. Interestingly with auto lane change shut off, it still allows it on city streets.
I wish it understood that when I cancel a lane change, I don't want it to try to re-do it 30 seconds later. Maybe it should turn off auto change when I cancel for some period of time, or for this road, until I turn it back on.

Reactions: AtomicD0G
I wish it understood that when I cancel a lane change, I don't want it to try to re-do it 30 seconds later. Maybe it should turn off auto change when I cancel for some period of time, or for this road, until I turn it back on.
I haven't tried it recently, but after I manually initiate a lane change (NoA active with lane change confirmation required), NoA will stop recommending lane changes for a minute or two. It kind of leaves me hanging when coming up behind another car and I don't get a lane change recommendation that I can just confirm. It eventually comes back if I don't make any more manually initiated changes. Sounds pretty close to what you want.

NoA with lane change confirmations required is great. I never got the hang of smoothly canceling an automatic change, not to mention having the turn signal turning on and then off when I canceled. Hopefully FSDb will allow confirmations at least on highways. It is weird now having to switch between no confirmations required and confirmations required depending on what type of road I'm on.

I haven't found a way to turn it off on local streets FSD beta.

On freeways, I have it require confirmation.
You cannot disable auto lane change in FSDb. FSDb must be able to change lanes in order to position itself to make turns. The most you can do is use the turn signals to cancel a lane change or to force a lane change back to the lane you prefer.

You cannot disable auto lane change in FSDb. FSDb must be able to change lanes in order to position itself to make turns. The most you can do is use the turn signals to cancel a lane change or to force a lane change back to the lane you prefer.
I'm not worried about positioning to make turns (which it does often miss), its the "moving out of the right most lane" I'd really like to turn off.

Reactions: RTPEV
I'm not worried about positioning to make turns (which it does often miss), its the "moving out of the right most lane" I'd really like to turn off.
When using FSDb on busy secondary roads, I actually prefer not to be in the rightmost lane because FSDb overreacts when a lead car turns into a parking lot and almost comes to a complete stop. Nonetheless, there are no available settings to control lane change behavior one way or the other at this time.

Perhaps V11 will bring some, but, if anything, I expect that some of the existing NOA settings might go away. But, that's speculation.