Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot constantly moving out of right hand lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my M3 since 2018 and I have enjoyed the level of autopilot on the highways even prior to FSD.

However as of late I am growing increasingly frustrated that the car constantly tries to move out of the right hand lane on a clear open interstate. In the US you typically drive on the right lane unless you are passing and I spent a good amount of time this past weekend FIGHTING Autopilot to stop trying to change lanes.

It even says "Moving out of the righthand lane". I'm at a loss why this keep occurring.

Has anyone else had issue with this?

I have had my M3 since 2018 and I have enjoyed the level of autopilot on the highways even prior to FSD.

However as of late I am growing increasingly frustrated that the car constantly tries to move out of the right hand lane on a clear open interstate. In the US you typically drive on the right lane unless you are passing and I spent a good amount of time this past weekend FIGHTING Autopilot to stop trying to change lanes.

It even says "Moving out of the righthand lane". I'm at a loss why this keep occurring.

Everyday. Unfortunately mine has recently started moving right out of the left lane and crossing double yellows into oncoming traffic.

Yep...very frustrating on highways with at grade intersections. This is where the FSD beta stack takes over, and unlike highway autopilot where I can turn off NoA to stop this lane change behavior, there is no way (that I know of anyway, short of dropping out of FSD beta) to use the lane keeping functionality of Autopilot and not have it constantly try to move out of the right lane.

I suspect that it's trying to avoid situations where slow traffic is entering the highway and a human driver would recognize this from much farther away than the car does and move into the left lane. So FSD decides it will just hang out in the left lane and not worry about it.

On highways, by the way, the behavior does seem related to off-ramps. I think what's happening is that from the map data it thinks that the off-ramp has begun and that the rightmost lane is an exit only lane. But in reality the off-ramp hasn't begun yet, so when it sees that it's in the rightmost lane (that is just a regular travel lane), it thinks it needs to move over so it doesn't get caught in an exit-only situation. This is extremely frustrating behavior.

Reactions: Axoss2
Just making sure, you're referring to FSD Beta behavior? In previous versions, it would give a more generic "switching to faster lane" which was especially confusing as it normally shows that when there's slow traffic ahead, but the actual behavior is as what others have described of staying out of the "slow lane." More recent FSD Beta shows the new message that you're seeing to be a little bit more clear that there's a different behavior, but indeed it's not always appropriate.

I've seen the "Moving out" message when it's totally clear ahead when FSD Beta set to cruise at higher than the speed limit. Oddly enough, I've seen the message appear more often just as someone is overtaking in the left lane. I up cancelling it by tapping the turn signal, but indeed it'll try again soon enough.

Just making sure, you're referring to FSD Beta behavior?
Not sure who you were addressing the question to...if it was to me, yes, this is FSD beta.

Oddly enough, I've seen the message appear more often just as someone is overtaking in the left lane. I up cancelling it by tapping the turn signal, but indeed it'll try again soon enough.
Yes, this is what's frustrating to me. It continually wants to get in the left lane as cars are coming up very quickly behind me.

Few things to check - make sure you're in Chill mode which causes less lane changes due to speed. Also make sure the option to Exit Passing Lanes is turned on to make sure it keeps you to the right and not in the faster left lane.
Also not sure who you were replying to. I haven't tried Chill mode, but I have tried setting the lane change settings to mild (or whatever the least aggressive setting is -- is this what you are talking about?) I've also made sure Exit Passing Lane is turned on (had a huge debate with my wife about this about whether "on" or "off" meant that it would exit the passing lane. I agree with your interpretation, but we tried it both ways to make sure. Besides, I think this only makes a difference on the highway NoA stack.

It only seems to do it for me if i'm traveling > 9 mph over the speed limit (ie 10+)

Reactions: Stan930
Generally the right lane is the most chaotic, with cars leaving and more importantly merging in. If you are a young self-driving car, you want to avoid that lane. Of course if there are just 2 lanes that means going to the fast lane. But if there are 3 or 4 lanes the 2nd lane is actually a very likely choice if you can maintain the speed, it will be the safest (slightly less safe due to speed but safer due to no merging.)

On I-95, I put the car in the middle lane and it just..stays there for many many miles. Works flawlessly. (I have the free AP).
Yes, Autopilot does like the middle lane! On a 2-lane limited access highway, it's generally pretty good about getting out of the passing lane when someone is coming from behind. But generally my preference is to not be in the middle lane, especially in moderately busy traffic where cars may be passing on the right. But on a limited access highway, if the behavior I am looking for is for it to stay in a lane no matter what, I can just switch off NoA and it will stay where I want it.

Not so with FSD beta. If you engage autosteer at all on a divided highway (but not limited access), you are at the whims of what the car wants to do, and I've found that is is somewhat contrary to my preference. Yes, @bradtem I agree that the right lane is fairly chaotic, but if anything, this illustrates how far away we are from true FSD. Either the car needs to "look" further and anticipate potential right lane exits and merges as well as looking farther behind to move out of the passing lane when a car is approaching from behind (before they decide to move into the right lane to pass you), or there does need to be an attempt to more closely mimic human behavior, which might be to actually accelerate to get by a potentially merging vehicle.

I'm generally pretty tolerant of Autopilot/FSD's behavior being different from my own, but I've seen way too many times it's habit of seeing a slow moving vehicle in a long merge lane, with plenty of room for my car to get by, but FSD doing a very aggressive braking maneuver to let the car merge in. A more acceptable behavior would be to just recognize the merging car has room to stay in the merge lane as we pass (or even accelerate slightly to get by them), or perform an expedited lane change if all clear is detected to the left. I'm also not opposed to hanging out in the left lane (I probably do that myself on divided highways with a lot of intersections), but on a highway with relatively few intersections and little traffic, there is no need to camp out in the left lane. I would want the car to realize this and stay in the right.

I just posted about this exact issue on my Model Y 2020 FSD

Reactions: BDC62
Same issue here on rural highways (that don’t have on ramps or off ramps). It’s extremely irritating. I’ve been reporting it sporadically to Tesla for months as It’s an undesirable behavior. But it appears to be map based as it occurs at the same locations on my commute and mine is on the highway stack. (At least the visualization change makes me assume that). Noteworthy I still have phantom braking of >25mph drop on the highway stack which has been this way for months (at least). That is something I also believe to be map based as it happens every time I hit a spot on a particular highway. Regardless of time of day, shadows, etc.

Do you have the option to exit passing lanes turned on?
yes. I messed with as many settings as possible, including a profile where autopilot is not enabled and trying just the lane centering. Still moved out of the right line "out of the rightmost lane" or something to that effect. Very f'ing frustrating. I don't recall it ever doing this prior to this week. I'm on FSD Beta 10.11.2. Did something change that I missed?

As of Dec 2022, with FSD, still constantly "moving out of the right hand lane" on non-expressway 4 lane roads (2 lanes each way), with no one in front of me in right hand lane. I no longer use FSD with anyone else in car on the non-expressway 4 lane roads, since I am constantly fighting the system. As others noted, the action occurs even when someone is approaching from behind in the left lane. The larger issue is that the car tries to automatically move to the left lane, and I have to cancel the turn signal quickly to stop the action. I always use the setting whereby I have to confirm the lane change, which works on expressways, but not on non-expressway multi-lane roads.

Reactions: RTPEV
As of Dec 2022, with FSD, still constantly "moving out of the right hand lane" on non-expressway 4 lane roads (2 lanes each way), with no one in front of me in right hand lane. I no longer use FSD with anyone else in car on the non-expressway 4 lane roads, since I am constantly fighting the system. As others noted, the action occurs even when someone is approaching from behind in the left lane. The larger issue is that the car tries to automatically move to the left lane, and I have to cancel the turn signal quickly to stop the action. I always use the setting whereby I have to confirm the lane change, which works on expressways, but not on non-expressway multi-lane roads.
Yep, still a problem. Seems to be much worse at night. Usually I just turn off NoA after dark.

Hate this "feature", it is now the single most irritating aspect of the beta. I try to keep the car in the left lane, then 2 to 3 miles before a right turn it will tell me it is changing lanes to follow the route, get ove to the right r, and then quickly moves back to the left lane with the "moving out of right hand lane" message. Back and forth until it gets within less than a mile from the turn.

Back when I had beta report icon, I reported it a lot, but Tesla seems to want it this way. Causes me to use FSD far less in some situations.