Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Cruise Broken and Unsafe by Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has broken autopilot and it's not safe on motorways. How do I raise this issue with Tesla?
As it currently works, you set cruise control at 50mph on a motorway in roadworks with a single push in the right arm. You set lane assist with two pushes.
When you change lane and set lane assist again the car sets speed as 70mph and starts to accelerate. You then have to frantically swipe down on the right steering wheel button or touch the screen, taking your hands off the wheel.
It used to keep the speed that you set even when you changed lanes so you could stay at 50mph.
I'm running 2020.40.9. This has been consistent error for the last few updates. It does not recognise speed signs on motorways, and does not mention this in any update (although I have read that this is a feature elsewhere).

THIS IS DANGEROUS! I changed lane the other day, put on cruise control, my Tesla started to accelerate from 50 to 70 as another car switched lanes as well. I had to brake to stop the acceleration, forcing the car behind me to brake as well.

How do I report safety errors to Tesla? I raise a service ticket but there is no way to raise an error with the software.

Rather than a beta tester, I feel like a guinea pig being tested on!

First, cars are dangerous, deal with it.
Second, you can turn off AP (or don't use it) and wait for update. I'm on 2020.44.10.1 and there is an option to set speed limit at your current speed or at the road speed limit, which I believe may solve your issue.

If, indeed, your car accelerates consistently after switching lanes, that's a defect and all you need to do is to make an appointment with Tesla SC.

Also, this "I changed lane the other day, put on cruise control, my Tesla started to accelerate from 50 to 70 as another car switched lanes as well. I had to brake to stop the acceleration, forcing the car behind me to brake as well." sounds as a good bu!!#!t.
1) If I change a lane and accelerate from 50 to 70 and another car is jumping in my lane, it is called cutting and another driver is at fault.
2) I doubt VERY much you ever really have to brake to avoid your Tesla hitting another car in the same lane as yours.
3) If the car behind has to brake it means that car was going really fast, so either it IS 70 mph speed limit and the car in front of you is cutting you, or it is 50 mph speed limit and the car behind you is speeding as hell. Neither one should really be your (or Tesla) fault if accident happens.

I know of AP issues such as phantom braking maybe once a week, disengaging in the middle of poorly marked intersection, etc. But, It CANNOT accelerate so strongly that you have to brake hard ... ever. It may surprise you, but it is not a hard acceleration in any way.

That said, I hate to use this "it's all your fault narrative" and I agree that Tesla is still figuring out how to set the speed limits in the best way. I think that in the last update Tesla gives a good option that will solve your issue completely.

... philosophical rant: unfortunately, we are all guinea pigs now unless you go off grid with all of your electronics including computers and phones. Tesla, at least, gives you an option to turn off all its features However, at this stage of FSD development I will be fine to volunteer as a guinea pig for Tesla because, unlike other established brands, they actually try to push the envelop forward and make something new finally.

This is definitely true to some extent. They are constantly trying new things, and sometimes there will be regressions.

In terms of accelerating, it's been awhile since I drove a Tesla and mine doesn't come for a few weeks, but I definitely remember it being a bit jarring at times. On some occasions it would be nicely following someone in a lane, and either the person in front of me exits, or I change lanes, and it would immediately try to accelerate to the max configured speed.

I'm sure that Tesla is aware of the issues, they have telemetry from almost all cars. And reporting it might make you feel a bit better, but would be unlikely to help them in any way or speed up the fix beyond their current schedule.

The best recommendation is that if you find a certain feature to be unsafe, don't use it, and then occasionally check it after updates to see if it's been improved.

The reset to speed limit is annoying but I've never found the acceleration to it quick - in fact, the reverse is the case that it's so gentle I might not notice so there's a risk of speeding without noticing.

I'm also expecting the next update to completely solve this for me - the car is doing a great job of reading speed limits so if it would just engage at current speed I'll be more than happy .

Tesla has broken autopilot and it's not safe on motorways. How do I raise this issue with Tesla?
As it currently works, you set cruise control at 50mph on a motorway in roadworks with a single push in the right arm. You set lane assist with two pushes.
When you change lane and set lane assist again the car sets speed as 70mph and starts to accelerate. You then have to frantically swipe down on the right steering wheel button or touch the screen, taking your hands off the wheel.

As was stated above, please install 2020.44 software if you have it available, or if not, you should receive it soon.

2020.44 allows a setting where cruise control will always be set to the current speed rather than the speed limit, which will eliminate this problem for you.

It used to keep the speed that you set even when you changed lanes so you could stay at 50mph.
I'm running 2020.40.9. This has been consistent error for the last few updates. It does not recognise speed signs on motorways, and does not mention this in any update (although I have read that this is a feature elsewhere).

THIS IS DANGEROUS! I changed lane the other day, put on cruise control, my Tesla started to accelerate from 50 to 70 as another car switched lanes as well. I had to brake to stop the acceleration, forcing the car behind me to brake as well.

How do I report safety errors to Tesla? I raise a service ticket but there is no way to raise an error with the software.

If you’ve read the warnings to always be alert and in control, (can’t recall the exact wording the software uses), and still choose to use it, then you can’t complain. Especially knowing it’s a work in progress.
Don’t use it, if you don’t have the tolleranxe, or can’t handle it.
Simply wait for the improvements, and when they meet your needs. You can be happy.
You’re choosing to use it, so you’re not a guinea pig. You’re just whining. :)
BTW-
-What car do you drive ?
-How long have you had it. ?

Reactions: alexgr and McFlurri
This is definitely true to some extent. They are constantly trying new things, and sometimes there will be regressions.

In terms of accelerating, it's been awhile since I drove a Tesla and mine doesn't come for a few weeks, but I definitely remember it being a bit jarring at times. On some occasions it would be nicely following someone in a lane, and either the person in front of me exits, or I change lanes, and it would immediately try to accelerate to the max configured speed.

I'm sure that Tesla is aware of the issues, they have telemetry from almost all cars. And reporting it might make you feel a bit better, but would be unlikely to help them in any way or speed up the fix beyond their current schedule.

The best recommendation is that if you find a certain feature to be unsafe, don't use it, and then occasionally check it after updates to see if it's been improved.

If people don't want to be a beta tester stop setting the patch setting to advanced. People fuc kin complaining all the time when they choose to install early release software.

Or being immediately attacked by the kool-aid brigade scared them away... lol. Gotta have thick skin if you want to be frank/real about the shortcomings of these cars and/or their design flaws/oversights on the internet. All the fanboys go full feeding frenzy every time someone insinuates the obviously flawed but lovable vehicle/company isn't actually perfect.

OTOH- Could be a troll too... what do I know... lol

Reactions: DS8819

Question: Which cars with Adaptive Cruise Control have you owned prior to Tesla?

Since the poster hasn’t responded, I’m guessing this is another troll. Likely one of the Tesla haters creating an alias to troll yet again.

Many people have expressed anxiety about Adaptive Cruise Control, not just Tesla TACC either.
Once you are used to it, it's beautiful (phantom braking aside), but until then it can make it seem like the car wants to take off without you.

The three other drivers in our house would not use ACC at first, even after I showed them how it works and how to instantly disengage it.

Today they don't want to drive a car without it. :D

Reactions: pilotSteve
AP issue I have is when car reads the exit speed limit, 40, even when I'm a lane or two over from the exit ramp; causing car to slow down rapidly to adjust to the exit ramp speed, but then will quickly readjust to the highway speed.

If you’ve read the warnings to always be alert and in control, (can’t recall the exact wording the software uses), and still choose to use it, then you can’t complain. Especially knowing it’s a work in progress.
Don’t use it, if you don’t have the tolleranxe, or can’t handle it.
Simply wait for the improvements, and when they meet your needs. You can be happy.
You’re choosing to use it, so you’re not a guinea pig. You’re just whining. :)
BTW-
-What car do you drive ?
-How long have you had it. ?

3LR
Had since April, cruise and autopilot worked great originally then software update changed the setting to match speed signs rather than set speed

Many people have expressed anxiety about Adaptive Cruise Control, not just Tesla TACC either.
Once you are used to it, it's beautiful (phantom braking aside), but until then it can make it seem like the car wants to take off without you.

The three other drivers in our house would not use ACC at first, even after I showed them how it works and how to instantly disengage it.

Today they don't want to drive a car without it. :D
Had the car six months, worked fine until update, then this issue. The concern is being unable to report an issue rather than the issue itself...