TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Autopilot Data Sharing on Classic S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by tyson, Apr 13, 2018.

1. tyson

tyson Member

Thought this was interesting seeing as I have a classic Model S, 2012 with no AP. Seems to be new in the .14 update. IMG_20180413_084143[1].jpg

2. Bridor

Bridor Member

This has to do with the new Waze features in the Navigation system. The message is a bit confusing. Basically, it uses all of the cars in the fleet to measure their speed to show where possible slow downs are present. If you have used Waze, you will be familiar with how this works.

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I think they're starting to slip a bit with the Classic cars. My last update on my 2013 S talked about being able to switch the tire pressure readings between PSI and Bar. Nope. My old car could only tell you if a tire was low... no actual readout of individual tire pressures. That came later.

4. GatorGuy

GatorGuy Member

Thats pretty stupid. Waze has 50 million users and how many Tesla's are there? 200k?

I can't imagine that will be accurate at all.

5. J1mbo

J1mbo Active Member

No it doesn't. This has been there since v6.

Screenshot_20180411-101524.png

• Disagree x 1
  6. AvengerBB

AvengerBB Member

V6 was based on google (or other source) data. What is new is that they are using Tesla car data, hence the release note about data sharing. It does have to do with the new navigation as Bridor points out.

• Disagree x 1
  7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

...and the Commute Advice feature is gone. Found that out the hard way stuck in traffic going to work.

8. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Except those 50 million users have smartphones of varying levels of accuracy for both location and for speed. Can't tell you the number of times I've parked my car and am walking and see that Google Maps / Waze now thinks there's congestion on the road segment.

IMO you don't need 50 million users to tell you the average flow rate of traffic. Not to mention this is not Tesla's only source of data. They can still tap into INRIX's light pole mounted radar sensor network available in most cities.

9. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

Tesla will probably mix their own data with others, hopefully getting the best of all worlds.