Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot dead center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i don’t know how you guys drive but when I drive, I always have the tendency to veer to the side of the lane opposite of the car adjacent to me b/c I always like to leave some space. With autopilot it is almost dead center. Don’t you guys feel slightly uncomfortable about it?

i don’t know how you guys drive but when I drive, I always have the tendency to veer to the side of the lane opposite of the car adjacent to me b/c I always like to leave some space. With autopilot it is almost dead center. Don’t you guys feel slightly uncomfortable about it?

That's one of the benefits of autopilot. It doesn't have "tendencies". If there were 3 cars in 3 lanes, all 3 should be in the center of each lane.

Going on the 5 towards Los Angeles Airport, drivers tend to stay away from the far left lanes.

Lanes are tight and concrete median barriers run along the length of the left edge of the left lanes. Very intimidating for the human driver.

For Tesla Autopilot? - Zero bothers given.

Reactions: Kacey Green

Lots of people do it, but it is not a good idea. Prime example is that you get used to it and by instinct move to the side when next to a vehicle. What happens when you are in between two vehicles? The anxiety levels get really high.

Near my home, there is a old railroad underpass that is wide enough for two standard cars. I've gotten used to it and have very little issue going through it, with another car in the opposite direction at 30 mph. My wife (the one who veers to the side when passing a car on the interstate) will not even attempt it, she stops until the traffic passes.

Standard Interstate lane width is 12 ft. The Model 3 is a little over 6 ft wide. There's a lot of room on the sides.

Reactions: jboy210
The biggest problem is in cities with carpool lanes. AutoPilot centers the car, frequently not leaving enough space for motorcyclists to split lanes (which is legal in CA) and pass the Model X on the right in the HOV lane. AutoPilot doesn't sense the motorcycle behind it, so if the driver is too complacent, he'll be the only one not shifting a bit to the left to leave enough room for the motorcycles.

AP doesn't yet seem to adjust to objects along the adjacent lane lines - such as vehicles or traffic barriers hugging (or slightly going over) the lane line.

The software is still in "beta" - and whenever the gap feels less than I'm comfortable with, I'll take back control, rather than count on the software to do the right thing and move over.

This could be an area where there will be a difference in how AP operates when using 4 cameras (with EAP activated) or 8 cameras (with FSD activated) - the side cameras should be able to better detect objects on either side, including objects moving along the sides from the rear (like a motorcycle).

The biggest problem is in cities with carpool lanes. AutoPilot centers the car, frequently not leaving enough space for motorcyclists to split lanes (which is legal in CA) and pass the Model X on the right in the HOV lane. AutoPilot doesn't sense the motorcycle behind it, so if the driver is too complacent, he'll be the only one not shifting a bit to the left to leave enough room for the motorcycles.

As a motorcycle rider I never expect cars to move when I am splitting lanes. Ride defensively and always assume a car or truck driver is a listening to trash metal (or on their phone with their divorce attorney) and not paying attention. Do that, and this is a non issue.

I think, like all groups and generalizations, the majority of motorcycle riders are doing the right thing, want to stay alive, and want to get where they’re going in a timely fashion.

Like all groups (and generalizations) there are undoubtedly assclowns in the bunch that can ruin it for everybody. Sometimes they’re more vocal than the more reasonable majority.

I should add that I rode a motorcycle for about 5 years before I had kids. My wife correctly asked that I give it up until they’re adults and I didn’t disagree. Drove home from a camping trip last night where we had a 10 minute slowdown. A car and motorcycle evidently became one near a big interchange. I could be wildly wrong, but going to guess car wanted to take exit where motorcycle was riding. I’m also going to guess the motorcycle rider was the first one in the ambulance we saw going the other direction. (This was in PA - 78 where it meets up with 476 near Allentown around 3:30PM.)

Just saw a guy with 6 bright headlight on his bmw motorcycle. Honking at every car who isn’t hanging on the side of the lane so he can split them at a high rate of speed. Everyone moved over for King George!

The fanny pack in the back looks so sexy too

Just saw a guy with 6 bright headlight on his bmw motorcycle. Honking at every car who isn’t hanging on the side of the lane so he can split them at a high rate of speed. Everyone moved over for King George!

The fanny pack in the back looks so sexy too
Lane splitting is a form of assisted suicide, and typically something you see on the roads in a third world country.

Reactions: mattack4000
I've had two mirrors hit by these guys so I have zero sympathy. Once, in my old S a few years ago and then on DAY TWO of my X ownership on the 10 in L.A. Both times they sped right off, offering no apology. Completely centered in my lane on both occasions.

As a motorcycle rider I never expect cars to move when I am splitting lanes. Ride defensively and always assume a car or truck driver is a listening to trash metal (or on their phone with their divorce attorney) and not paying attention. Do that, and this is a non issue.

You are one of the nice ones. I have seen tons of two fingers (V) signs for cars moving over, but also quite a few of the 1 finger (and you know which finger) signs for car not moving over last year of driving in the car pool lane. BTW, everyone knows you are on autopilot when you are in the dead center of the narrow car pool lane when
1) The driver side has an emergency lane.
2) The driver side is super close to the barrier.

You are one of the nice ones. I have seen tons of two fingers (V) signs for cars moving over, but also quite a few of the 1 finger (and you know which finger) signs for car not moving over last year of driving in the car pool lane. BTW, everyone knows you are on autopilot when you are in the dead center of the narrow car pool lane when
1) The driver side has an emergency lane.
2) The driver side is super close to the barrier.

Last month I saw someone kick the mirror off of a car that refused to go onto the shoulder to allow a motorcyclist through in a construction zone.

Out of sheer fear for my safety and my property I'll create any traffic hazard I can to allow a motorcyclist through. You guys win.

Last month I saw someone kick the mirror off of a car that refused to go onto the shoulder to allow a motorcyclist through in a construction zone.

Out of sheer fear for my safety and my property I'll create any traffic hazard I can to allow a motorcyclist through. You guys win.

You are in California so you have probably saw this one on the news. Losing a mirror was not that bad compare to this:

You are in California so you have probably saw this one on the news. Losing a mirror was not that bad compare to this:

Yep. Saw that. Not at all surprised when I saw that…. I appreciate all the safe motorcyclists out there who view lane splitting with more of a cautious and opportunistic nature… but I can tell you from my commute, that's less than 1% of motorcyclists.