TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autopilot: Dip/Hill handling idle speculation on newest update

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Korben, May 27, 2016.

1. Korben

Korben Member

Need to take this road a few more times to be sure but my observation (and I think I saw another post mentioning this) is that the hill handling behavior has improved.

Previously autopilot would struggle with sharp decline followed by sharp incline. Seemingly it would perceive the hills as curves. Handling appears to stay much more centered. Anyone else notice this?

2. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I *may* have noticed this today, but I had a car about 50 feet in front of me, so it might just have been using the car to help for guidance. Need some more testing before I can make any more useful comment.

3. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

I was hopeful as well but after some limited testing I find this has not improved.

4. Korben

Korben Member

Yes, numerous trips through the same dip indicate no improvement. A confounding factor was that I had a version update during testing. The odds are relatively high that what I was observing was the use of the car in front of me as a factor in lane keeping.

FWIW, my car was in for maintenance and my loaner was a vanilla 85. Wow, life without autopilot is pretty awful. I am totally dependent.

5. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

Yes, I have found that lane keeping through crests/dips is significantly better when following another car.