Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot disabled due to frunk latch failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not quite two weeks ago, I started driving home, got on the highway, pulled the cruise control stalk to engage Autopilot, and... warning beep! Cruise control disabled. I had to drive 80 miles home by hand. The horror!

I tried cleaning the radar and camera and rebooting the computers, no dice. Tesla checked the logs and said it had to come in. They couldn't squeeze me in for a bit more than a week, but OK, I can still drive the car.

I drove around like this for a few days, then one morning I get a text from my wife with a photo showing the Autopilot engaged. It had come back to life!

I still took it for the service, of course, in case something was still wrong. A little while later they gave me a call with this odd bit of info: the frunk latch was defective, and that's why the cruise control wouldn't engage. This puzzles me because I'd think that would be a safety thing that would prevent the car from driving altogether, but I guess the Autopilot end must be more sensitive or something. Sharing this news with my wife, we mentally reviewed the previous week and realized we hadn't used the frunk for several days, but we finally did use it for groceries the night before it started working again. We think that using the frunk reset the failure somehow.

Tesla still replaced it, and took care of a couple of service bulletins too. But I thought I'd share, because it seems like it could be handy if you're in the middle of a long trip. If suddenly cruise control won't engage and you've tried everything else, you might try opening and closing your frunk (and maybe the hatch or doors?) to see if that helps.

Frunk didn’t help. After 24h and a call to Tesla support the stuff magically came back while driving... Will have SC to check this during my annual service next week.

2virgule5, did you get your issue with "Cruise control disabled" resolved?

Our 2017 S75D has had this since May delivery, despite numerous attempts by service to fix. We get an error on average about half the time we attempt to use cruise or autopilot. Very frustrating, especially as our car has been so awesome otherwise.

weradln,

Yes, and what's frustrating to me is that the diagnostic capability to troubleshoot this very complex system seems underdeveloped. My service department seems to be employing the age old mechanic's routine of "replace a few parts at a time until it's fixed". They should be able to do a much better diagnostic run with today's software integration.

2virgule5, did you get your issue with "Cruise control disabled" resolved?

Our 2017 S75D has had this since May delivery, despite numerous attempts by service to fix. We get an error on average about half the time we attempt to use cruise or autopilot. Very frustrating, especially as our car has been so awesome otherwise.

AP came back out of nowhere while driving, 3 days after the issue started. My SC told me they will inspect it during next service. It may have been software related after all, but a faulty ground cannot be excluded. Will report back if they find something.