Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot disengagement, driving etc. out of main.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The driverless scenario will simply not happen until statistics prove that such risks are miniscule.
In one sense they are already minuscule and currently Tesla highway accidents are about 1/2 of the count for non-enhanced cars. I don't think they have to be minuscule in relation to driver controlled cars, just statistically safer. As Musk recently said, perhaps simply "twice as safe". Remember too, it's not Just Tesla that wants regulatory approval for autonomous cars, it's UPS, FedEx, GM, etc. There is a huge amount of money riding on this. UPS/FedEx no longer need drivers, that's got to be Billions of dollars right there alone. Most of the long haul stuff is all interstates.

Reactions: AwlBidnz
I have AP1 and driving AP on HOV lane gave me a few scary moment because there is no much shoulder to the concrete divider. I also had my MS swerved off cross the lane. So, I don’t use AP any longer. May be the latest version is better but I don’t intend to buy another one.

Personally I think that until the majority of cars have FSD, or communicate with each other, there is no proper way to deal with people who will cut right over on your bumper. It seems to be the new way of driving, and its spreading across America. I hate it. The "2 second rule" they taught us in Driver Ed 45 years ago is a joke today.
Funny you should mention that! Oh...first, 2 sec rule? I don't recall that. I think we had 1 car length for every 10 mph of travel. THAT I think it ridiculous at this point. It always was as following an 18 wheeler is way different than following a motorcyclist. What's interesting it the facet you bring up is the 'requirement' for roads, likely interstates that just as horses, pedestrians etc are banned, non-autonomous cars will also be banned. Think of a train, freight or otherwise. The last car is traveling the identical speed as the engine. It simply mechanically is guaranteed to be traveling the same speed as the engine whether braking or accelerating. You could pretty much do that now with TACC, or adaptive, braking. It's the following car that is the problem, not the lead car.If one could programmatically guarantee identical deceleration of/by the following car rear end collisions become a thing of the past.

I have AP1 and driving AP on HOV lane gave me a few scary moment because there is no much shoulder to the concrete divider. I also had my MS swerved off cross the lane. So, I don’t use AP any longer. May be the latest version is better but I don’t intend to buy another one.
I just got an opportunity for a good workout of 8.5. In some respects it was way better than predecessor releases. In other respects, it was marginally worse. However, just as in previous releases I knew where the edge cases were and, if not approaching one of them, I could adopt a far more relaxed posture. So, for the 2 hr drive all but maybe 10 minutes was 'relaxed attentiveness'. I think I'm coming up on 6 months of ownership. As I explained to my wife, the car had to, and has to, earn my trust. In those cases where I don't fully trust the car, I am, in contrast, at alert attentiveness. So the bottom line is, on whole, the drive is far more pleasant. That philosophy may, or may not, work for you and make you happier with the car. I think having a car, ultimately, running on natural gas (power company) is a good thing for the planet. It wasn't my highest concern. My highest concern was a car that promises to be a better driver than I am, if not out of the gate, within the life of the car, which may be the foreseeable future. My primary justification was future proofing mobility for both my wife and myself, now we're both retired.

Does anyone else feel that on autopilot the acceleration/deceleration of the car is way too much. When I drive normally I don't hit the gas or brake nearly as hard, and on Autopilot I find if someone comes into my lane in front of me the car just slams on the brake, making the occupants uncomfortable. Likewise, if a car leaves the lane in front of me, the car just jolts on the acceleration. It was fun when I first got the car, but I am normally gentle with my driving style and the sudden changes in acceleration/deceleration is uncomfortable for me. Is it just a setting on the Autopilot that I am missing here?

Also, NoA makes the problem above a lot worse. On NoA it changes lanes a lot, and every time it's 'change lane, blast on the gas, slow down, change lane, repeat'.

The discomfort me and my wife feel due to the acceleration/deceleration is the primary reason why I don't use NoA as often as I would like.

I agree, but I don’t see a way out of this without some hardware upgrades, because all it can detect is torque. I experiment with my arm resting on my leg/knee and just a short length from there to the wheel, with a couple of fingers on the wheel and a little wrist torque, trying to keep it very small but constant without having to think about it. I think some folks just fold their arms and wait for the blinking nag, but that just seems wrong.

Aside: It did get better when my front half-shafts were replaced, easier to keep the wheel torqued on AP, along with tighter steering overall. This was done under warranty because I noticed some “shudder” on hard acceleration, and they immediately knew it was drive shafts. Pretty sure this was because mine was an inventory car with 8k miles on it, so lots of test drives with the hammer down. And I am told the shaft design has been updated with this in mind, so my new ones should be fine if I continue to drive “aggressively”. Hard to not, it is so much damn fun.
I’m guessing most know that if you raise or lower volume the nag stops

I think most of the shortcomings of all AP functions are a result of insufficient anticipation. Either through limitations of sensors or programming, it's very difficult to foresee potholes, lane marking irregularities, potential idiot maneuvers by other drivers, etc. Until all those are controlled in some way, human intervention will be necessary. If lane restrictions for AI vehicles only can be created, or mandatory 2-way communication between cars, or a significant culture change in society occurs to reduce the urge to drive overly-aggressive, then much is possible, but until then, AI assisted human driving to reduce human error is the approach that will work best.

V9.0 (2019.8.5 3aaa23d)
I do not have as large a choice to test NoA as the big city drivers but I did try it out with the automatic lane change enabled. On the only two intersecting interstate highways (I-65 and I-565 between Decatur and Huntsville, Alabama) I used for testing with automatic lane change enabled I give NoA a fail but there are reasons. Some of the reasons are initial personal inexperience, infrastructure lane markings but the worst reason was other drivers actions in conjunction with NoA maneuvers.

</diverge>In my opinion Full Self Driving (FSD) cannot reach a safe, viable implementation stage unless major improvements in infrastructure maintenance are implemented.</end diverge>

The attribute of NoA that consistently unnerved me the most was the mismatch between the Tesla's ability to detect other nearby traffic moving at different speeds and NoA's seemingly reluctance to initiate an automatic lane change with alacrity after initiating the turn signal. Several times as vehicles approached from behind in the adjacent lane at a higher speed NoA would begin signalling a lane change intention but not actually move into the adjacent lane until imo it became unsafe to do so (the approaching traffic was not slowing down) and consequently I chose to abandon the NoA attempt by cancelling and taking over manual driving. This happened 3 times and after each failure I got the impression either one or two or both things were going on with NoA that caused it to be deficient. The first was the ability of the vehicle to detect overtaking traffic with just ultrasonic sensors and side fender cameras (I am not clear if the rear camera is used by NoA) and the second impression I got was a possible lack of computing power to process what what was happening quickly enough. I sort of felt like I was being driven by a 15 year old brand new inexperienced driver. I now have a new respect for all Driver's Education teachers.

Another problem I have with NoA is the driver's ignorance about what NoA does with respect to picking a speed to exit/enter a highway. A tight radius exit from southbound I-65 onto eastbound I-565 had my Model 3 varying the speed and ping ponging all the way around the 270° maneuver. It felt a little sickening to let it do this but at least there was nobody behind me. Immediately beyond this maneuver the vehicle failed to change lanes due to a fairly well marked lane discontinuance which also involved a need to merge and was handled so poorly I had to take over manually.

I will end this missive with another unnerving NoA event that I hope Tesla pulls and watches. Note, this event problem was mostly due to poor lane markings but it did happen. If you want to look at this situation using Google Maps just know there has been some recent resurfacing work and the lane markings are currently the bare minimum for human drivers, i.e., skinny temporary white dashed lines. As NoA was merging from I-565 westbound to I-65 northbound it appeared to me it was having a problem detecting the proper lane path so much that I believe it did not know it had already merged into the right lane of I-65 northbound and kept moving to the left which would have been ok except for the fact there was a huge semi tractor trailer in the left lane that the Tesla did not appear to know anything about. I gave NoA every opportunity to detect it but in the end I had to take over because it was getting too close to the truck. By the way the NoA was trying to move left directly between the trailer wheels like in the Smokey and the Bandit movie. I have no idea what the side cameras were processing but I did not want to find out at 70 mph the hard way.

• Informative
Reactions: Rarity and Hank42
reluctance to initiate an automatic lane change with alacrity after initiating the turn signal.
I was going to say that the rules say that you're supposed to indicate a desire to change lanes before actually doing it, which is the rule in Australia. So I went to the CA DMV web site to look up the actual rules here, and they don't even mention using the blinkers! No wonder no-one does.

Edit: I missed the single word "signal"... it does say to do it before changing lanes, but that's it.

California Driver Handbook - Traffic Lanes
Changing Lanes
Changing lanes includes:

• Moving from one lane to another.
  • Entering the freeway from an on-ramp.
  • Entering the road from a curb or the shoulder.
Before changing lanes, signal, look in all your mirrors, and:

• Check traffic behind and beside you.
  • Look over your shoulder in the direction you plan to move to make sure the lane you want is clear.
  • Check for vehicles, motorcyclists, and bicycle traffic in your blind spot.
  • Be sure there is enough room for your vehicle in the next lane.
Ha! Anyway, I agree with you, it delays too long after indicating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hank42
V9.0 (2019.8.5 3aaa23d)

</diverge>In my opinion Full Self Driving (FSD) cannot reach a safe, viable implementation stage unless major improvements in infrastructure maintenance are implemented.</end diverge>

I have the same thoughts as you - if NoA can't merge (safely) 100% of the time, then FSD has no chance. Elon mentions HW v3 - that's nice and all, but processing power does not seem to be the issue here, at least form my experience with merge fails. Your point about matching traffic speed is spot on, as well as the car turning the blinker on, and maintaining speed and not merging for what seems like forever - causing the other drivers to lose patience and pass, causing a further delay in the lane change until I just grab the wheel and say "here, let me do it". I feel like I'm driving with my 90 yo mother. Which reminds me about the stupid turn signal staying on after I manually make a lane change - there should be some tactile feedback in the stalk to indicate a lane change vs a full on turn. But I digress. Ticobird, you pretty much nailed it.

How? What does a picture tell you about the attentiveness of a driver? A video doesn't really add anything. I think its cadillac that is doing eye monitoring, but no matter what system you devise you have to have a tolerance, a threshold, some arbitrary cut off. You can throw a neural network at it to avoid specifically designating the threshold, but then you are left with a probability.

There really isn't a good solution.
While I agree that there is no 100% solution I think that the camera should be able to be utilized in this manner. If it sees my face is pointed straight ahead looking out the windshield it should be able to say reasonable that I am being attentive. If my head it tiled down for more than a few seconds I'm either asleep, staring at my shoes or texting. Will this be the case 100% of the time, no, but I think its a move in the right direction. Sure people will find workarounds, but that's the nature of people, there are always those who are willing to game the system, even if it puts others at risk. Now the real problem is the interior camera on the Model 3 probably wasn't intended to that and its questionable if that could be addressed through software. This of course doesn't help for those modes that lack an interior camera all together.

Does anyone else feel that on autopilot the acceleration/deceleration of the car is way too much. When I drive normally I don't hit the gas or brake nearly as hard, and on Autopilot I find if someone comes into my lane in front of me the car just slams on the brake, making the occupants uncomfortable. Likewise, if a car leaves the lane in front of me, the car just jolts on the acceleration. It was fun when I first got the car, but I am normally gentle with my driving style and the sudden changes in acceleration/deceleration is uncomfortable for me. Is it just a setting on the Autopilot that I am missing here?

Also, NoA makes the problem above a lot worse. On NoA it changes lanes a lot, and every time it's 'change lane, blast on the gas, slow down, change lane, repeat'.

The discomfort me and my wife feel due to the acceleration/deceleration is the primary reason why I don't use NoA as often as I would like.
You may find this works perfectly for you. Put the car in chill mode.

I may be in the minority, but I appreciate that Tesla has the nags..
I agree. It makes me stay alert. With the latest software update they are much less often to a good interval. It allows me to clap to the awesome music coming from those 15 speakers! My hands are near the steering wheel all the time and my feet are close, just dancing a bit! I LOVE my car! Out of my 47 mile drive each way, I am on autopilot at least 40 miles each way. Stress reducing and my gas pedal knee pain is gone! No need for NoA for me. It would stress me out too much and I stay in the same lane almost all the way on I-84 and US 26 back and forth between Zigzag and Portland.

I have never had a problem with the acceleration unless I forget to tell my passengers to lean back BUT, the brake slamming when something pops into the cars sight is VERY hard to accept..Even with the "proximity notice" options turned off. FYI, I'm may just be a fanboy but, the recent updates could be helping with this.

And now for something completely different...

Everyone lately has seemed focused on the obvious news this week--upcoming Q3 delivery numbers, V10 headliner features eg Smart Summon, Netflix, Spotify. But v10 brought several seemingly minor under-the-hood Autopilot improvements that I believe are being largely overlooked but have significant impact to the prowess and enjoyment of the system.

For context, I received v10 on my 3 Friday night (along with a bugfix update Saturday morning). I then took part in an autumn mountain drive with our local club on Sunday (side note: close to 60 Teslas participated--it really drove home how the base of vehicles has grown lately). This drive was around 200 miles, through everything from city streets to interstate highways to curvy mountain roads. Several things jumped out to me:
  • Hand detection on the wheel is much improved in my car, given my hand placement. The car nags more quickly if hands are not on the wheel, but when my hand is on the wheel, the car now detects it virtually 100% of the time, even when that hand is exerting no artificial torque on the wheel. I just have my hand resting there like I prefer to do, either on the side or the bottom. This is a very marked change, and much for the better IMO. It will make it harder for people to be dumb and have hands off for any significant period, while simultaneously making it much less frustrating to keep the car happy through normal means.
  • Phantom braking seems greatly reduced on this release. I've only driven maybe 100 miles on AP since the update so there's a chance that I'm overstating this, but I experienced only one significant phantom brake, and it was entering a construction zone.
  • The lane change visualization improvement is nicer than I had expected. The old system wasn't particularly calling out for improvement, but it's nice to now see exactly how your car fits into the other lane's traffic when the change begins.
  • Additional vehicle types (eg pickup truck) are depicted in the visualization. Specific lane line types are shown (eg double-yellow, normal solid line, dashed passing line). The 'dancing cars' are now virtually gone at stops. And the ability to manipulate the visualization is neat. These are each very small improvements but together they raise the confidence level in what the car is seeing.
In short, v10 is a significant release on the AP front, even discounting the inclusion of Smart Summon (which is cool but largely a party trick at present--needs a lot of work before it's going to be doing anything resembling FSD in a way that doesn't have the owner on edge / cringing at failed parking lot etiquette like pulling into spaces sideways, using bidirectional space however it desires, etc). The overall experience of driving on AP is significantly improved through the implementation of these small changes. As an owner, I'm happy. As an investor, I'm pleased.
I took a 12 hour round trip this weekend. NAV on autopilot seems better overall, but several times it started to change lanes, then either hesitated or bailed, even with no cars anywhere close to me. I wonder if the small update I received last night fixed that.

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
I would hope so but who knows. Stock might drop on great numbers anyways.

I am amazed though at the lack of buyers since Q1. Tesla has fixed a lot of the logistics and the Elon tweeting since then and it's been proven that battery production was the limiting issue for Q1, not demand for Model 3. I would have expected smart money to be pilling in throughout sept in anticipation for Q3 results at the beginning and mid point of October.....but there's been little interest. I would have to imagine smart money easily sees through the reporting bias on Tesla and can see the potential value and how Tesla is realizing that value. I said it before but......it's not rocket science

It may be an unpopular opinion on these forums, but the way 1Q was handled is not something that smart money will easily forget. Those who got burned, and everyone who saw them get burned, will think long and hard about whether to trust Tesla again. The volatility is not helping either.

This isn’t the case for retail investors, who are beholden only to their own wallets. The TMC thesis of a disparity between perception and reality is the opportunity here.

————————

On a different topic, seeing smart summon collisions within days of v10 is worrisome. Let’s say the average car gets in a parking lot collision every 30 years. That’s 1 collision daily for every 10,000 cars. After v10 is fully deployed, there will be 100 or 200k cars with SS.

That implies one or two accidents daily might be ok, because owners do not use SS that often. If SS accidents are much higher, SS is causing accidents and Tesla will need to do something.

Reactions: Doggydogworld
Let’s say the average car gets in a parking lot collision every 30 years

It has to be way more common than that.

After v10 is fully deployed, there will be 100 or 200k cars with SS.

There were probably over 100k summons just last weekend. Almost everyone who got it went out and tried it, with most doing multiple summons.

On a different topic, seeing smart summon collisions within days of v10 is worrisome. Let’s say the average car gets in a parking lot collision every 30 years. That’s 1 collision daily for every 10,000 cars. After v10 is fully deployed, there will be 100 or 200k cars with SS.

That implies one or two accidents daily might be ok, because owners do not use SS that often. If SS accidents are much higher, SS is causing accidents and Tesla will need to do something.
Maybe, but we really need data. Parking lot accidents are 1/5 of all accidents and have high pedestrian injury rates. People are really bad about paying attention in parking lots. I can't find a solid number but it's quoted as "tens of thousands annually".

Why hundreds are killed in crashes in parking lots and garages every year

Self reported poll so the real numbers are probably worse.
Parking Lot Safety
In an NSC public opinion poll, 66% of drivers nationwide said they would make phone calls while driving through parking lots. Respondents also said they would:

• Program GPS systems (63%)
  • Text (56%)
  • Use social media (52%)
  • Send or receive emails (50%)
  • Take photos or watch videos (49%)
NSC found teens (59%) were more likely to engage in personal grooming than adults (53%) while driving in parking lots, but less likely to be on the phone (60% vs. 66%).

During the hectic holiday season, drivers and pedestrians also are likely to be distracted by extensive to-do lists and are hurriedly trying to get from one place to another.

Summon wind up being like autopilot where it's objectively safer but people with an agenda or lack of brain cells will draw undue attention to them. We also need to see if it's other dumb people hitting the Tesla cars.
Edit, 50k crashes a year with 500 fatalities and 60k injuries.

There were probably over 100k summons just last weekend. Almost everyone who got it went out and tried it, with most doing multiple summons.
I didn't try it. Don't feel the rush to add to the # of potential accidents. Not a big deal to walk a few steps to the car.

I think we need to take it slowly to give a chance to Tesla to address any issues before piling up 100s of accidents. That collision we saw - would be nice if Smart Summon honked preemptively.

Netflix/YouTube is really cool though. Somehow I am thinking it will have no less of an impact on observers.

Reactions: GOVA
Small accidents happen about once a year - or once 12k miles. A large % of them happen in the parking lots.

If SS is more cautious than avg humans - it will greatly reduce at fault accidents for owners.

BTW, in general newer cars should have fewer accidents. Backup camera and other sensors will greatly help. The accident we saw on twitter would not have happened if the other car had backup camera or other sensors.