Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot disengagements on bendy highways

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have basic Autopilot on my recent Model 3 SR+, and there are certain corners on the highway here where Autopilot always seems to have problems with. The turns are too sharp for the system to handle so it would always disengage around those bends.

Would getting the FSD package help with this issue? I am under the impression that the regular public FSD software uses the same underlying Autopilot system, so it would not help.
Furthermore, I assume that even FSD beta would not help, since that system reverts to regular Autopilot on the high way, so such problems would remain until better software arrives. Please correct me if these assumptions are wrong.

Sorry, but there is no “regular public FSD software”. Purchasing the FSD Capability upgrade doesn’t change anything your car already does. It only adds other features (and locks in future feature releases before upcoming price hikes).

As for highway NoAP, the visualization seems the same in videos, but I’m not sure if it’s really the same software (vs a rewrite). I’m also curious how sharp these highways are that it could throw off AP, unless perhaps they’re not highways (as AP defines them). Is a car (with NoAP) able to activate on that road/stretch, or just normal AP only?

Sorry, but there is no “regular public FSD software”. Purchasing the FSD Capability upgrade doesn’t change anything your car already does. It only adds other features (and locks in future feature releases before upcoming price hikes).

As for highway NoAP, the visualization seems the same in videos, but I’m not sure if it’s really the same software (vs a rewrite). I’m also curious how sharp these highways are that it could throw off AP, unless perhaps they’re not highways (as AP defines them). Is a car (with NoAP) able to activate on that road/stretch, or just normal AP only?
By public FSD software I meant the features currently enabled by the add-on package Tesla calls "Full Self-Driving Capability". I have Autopilot but not NoAP so I don't know how the latter would act. The sharp corner where Autopilot would disengage seems to be a part of the highway, but no idea what the system thinks. In either case, I am under the impression that the software used by NoAP would provide the same results as Autopilot, ie not so good for me.

On the package FSD you have NOA Navigate on Autopilot and this option are cappable to enter on highways and going out also I think this help for sharp turns.

Would getting the FSD package help with this issue?

Likely not for the reasons you cited. However, autopilot will continue to improve due to staggeringly wide deployment and the data which can be mined to teach the system. I have a downhill s-bend in my commute where it used to repeatably disengage (west-bound in the image below), but it no longer does.
1615826364540.png

Reactions: mark95476
Hwy 17 (Bay Area CA, Santa Clara to Santa Cruz and back) was a good test for fast twisty roads while going up and down a 2500 ft mountain pass. AP has been handling that for years now (check YouTube).

Likely not for the reasons you cited. However, autopilot will continue to improve due to staggeringly wide deployment and the data which can be mined to teach the system. I have a downhill s-bend in my commute where it used to repeatably disengage (west-bound in the image below), but it no longer does.
View attachment 644662