Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot - do not let it see your spouse sweat (3 incidents in the past month)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am definitely enjoying autopilot but can say with all honesty that my wife as passenger is not :) My wife does ride with me quite a bit but like a cat waiting for someone who does not like cats - AP seems to save these moments for when she is in the car.

I have have phantom breaking twice now where there was nothing there. The pattern seems to be transitions from sun to shade. One time in a tunnel and one time going under a overpass. a sudden sharp break which causes me to take immediate control.

Yesterday - I was in the far left lane which was HOV. 2 cars were in front of me and decided to abruptly take the left hand HOV exit from the freeway. My car made a sudden decision to follow them up the exit ramp. I again took control and guided it to stay on the freeway. Today I went through that same spot again (but no cars ahead of me). AP stayed on the freeway and did not try to take the exit.

I do not have FSD - only AP. I have owned my Model 3 since April. I may have to keep AP off while my wife is in the car :). Is this typical? Any thoughts?

Reactions: SlimJim
Typical for Model 3, yes.

It even happens in cases that are more ambiguous, not just shadow/light transitions.

It's especially scared of semi trucks in opposing traffic on a two lane road, but people will jump to point out that it's "not designed for those roads", but we don't have an option for basic cruise control either so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: Polie
I am definitely enjoying autopilot but can say with all honesty that my wife as passenger is not :) My wife does ride with me quite a bit but like a cat waiting for someone who does not like cats - AP seems to save these moments for when she is in the car.

I have have phantom breaking twice now where there was nothing there. The pattern seems to be transitions from sun to shade. One time in a tunnel and one time going under a overpass. a sudden sharp break which causes me to take immediate control.

Yesterday - I was in the far left lane which was HOV. 2 cars were in front of me and decided to abruptly take the left hand HOV exit from the freeway. My car made a sudden decision to follow them up the exit ramp. I again took control and guided it to stay on the freeway. Today I went through that same spot again (but no cars ahead of me). AP stayed on the freeway and did not try to take the exit.

I do not have FSD - only AP. I have owned my Model 3 since April. I may have to keep AP off while my wife is in the car :). Is this typical? Any thoughts?

Reading your post, I can totally relate. Like you, I had the only two phantom braking moments while my wife is in the car (although one was warranted since a car on the lane next to us started to bleed into our lane; nevertheless the car reacted too dramatically for her taste).

Now, even at the chime of TACC going on, she perks up and gives me a swift, “No” before I have to reassure her I haven’t put Autosteer on as well.

Maybe she’ll come around when drastic improvements are made but for now, I only use AP when she’s not in the car.

I've experienced a couple of different episodes with AP (no FSD). In going through a particular intersection that is 5 lanes wide, AP gets confused about which lane to be in and moves to the left - I had to jerk the steering wheel to avoid hitting the car in the lane. I know now that intersection is an issue. The other episode was when a car in the opposite direction turned left in front of me with plenty of time/space. AP chose to brake after the car had passed by.

I've experienced a couple of different episodes with AP (no FSD). In going through a particular intersection that is 5 lanes wide, AP gets confused about which lane to be in and moves to the left - I had to jerk the steering wheel to avoid hitting the car in the lane. I know now that intersection is an issue. The other episode was when a car in the opposite direction turned left in front of me with plenty of time/space. AP chose to brake after the car had passed by.
Is your collision warning set on “early”?

• Helpful
Reactions: jkirkwood001
... I do not have FSD - only AP. I have owned my Model 3 since April. I may have to keep AP off while my wife is in the car :). Is this typical? Any thoughts?

I don't know about "typical", but after 3-4 incidents of phantom brakes and drunk driver-like lane change aborts, my wife has banned me from using AP while she is in the car. Does your wife also loathe cilantro? Maybe Tesla's AI doesn't like those people :)

• Funny
Reactions: 12ed5ive and Polie
History of exactly same kind of experiences with MS HW3 FSD.

Seems common scenarios for AP in general, even down to spouse issues!

Using AP feels to me like it only makes sense if I am somehow contributing to a 'common good' because it certainly does not make for a guaranteed stress free journey.

I'm still waiting to get pulled over for erratic driving (not erotic driving as my auto correct just suggested!) when the car aborts a lane change mid-way and slams back to the lane it was just leaving. That particular trait is especially bad in European cars where there is an enforced time-limit before which the manoeuvre has to complete or abort.

Just experienced the phantom breaking 3 time today. All were while using AP and transitioning from shadow to sun - 2 underpass’s and 1 tree shadow. Tesla does not seem to consider this a real problem. I did discuss with a tech last year. He looked at my logs and told me he saw no problems.
Problem does seem to come and go depending on the build - or sun angle.
So I guess we should all have signs on the car saying ‘ caution: car subject to unexpected braking’.