TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autopilot: Do you LOVE it?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by tanner, Dec 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. tanner

tanner Active Member

At the final point/stages of deciding to sell my car/purchase an 85D with autopilot. So, my question now is: DO YOU LOVE IT?! :D

2. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Short answer: Yes!

Long answer: Oh, certainly; very much so, yes. By all means get an 85D w/ autopilot.

3. tanner

tanner Active Member

Yay! That's what I wanna hear :)
    just dont wanna lose any performance going from the P85 to 85D. Also, how often do you use it?!

4. yoyo

yoyo Member

all the time on highway, and many times on major roads with good markings:)

5. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

Love it! Use it every time I drive where it's appropriate. Especially useful on long trips.

6. Lex

Lex Member

Yes I love it. It may possibly end up literally adding to my lifespan as it nearly erases all of the stress of stop-and-go traffic, especially when combined with the all-electric drive (ie. no idling engine).

Now that I feel I've tested the system thoroughly, I'm now doing most of the fun driving myself, but as soon as the traffic starts I now immediately activate Autopilot before the stress hormones get a hold.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh ya, on long stretches almost always for me, too.

Oh and it's also great for keeping to posted speeds eg. when traversing small villages on rural highways.

7. green1

green1 Active Member

I also love the autopilot, use it all the time, basically any time I'm on a divided road. As for performance, I was led to believe that the P85 and the 85D have the same performance.

8. tanner

tanner Active Member

nice! That's awesome!

- - - Updated - - -

Do you guys think current autopilot tech will be able to handle city/fully autonomous driving?

9. Lex

Lex Member

#9 Lex, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    Nope. It would have to crawl along* (edit: eg. the "summon" feature "on private roads" that possibly may never happen).

edit: once you experience it trying to figure out some stuff eg. a "substantial" curve in the road you'll see the sensor limitations for yourself.

edit2: * to avoid killing people, for a start ;)

10. green1

green1 Active Member

Nope. Guaranteed not to. Elon has stated as such, and it's quite obvious. There's no cross traffic detection beyond 18 feet of the ultrasonics, that means it can not safely proceed from a stop sign or traffic light without manual intervention.
    The current version can't even see behind you well enough to change lanes without you first manually checking to see if it's clear because it can't see fast approaching vehicles from behind .

The current version is great for what it does, but it's just a fancy cruise control, it's not self driving and never will be without upgraded hardware.

11. tanner

tanner Active Member

What do you mean?

12. NorCalSJ

NorCalSJ Member

yes, I love it...I use it ALL the time almost flawlessly

13. green1

green1 Active Member

That wouldn't help. going slow doesn't help avoid the inability to see cross traffic. Entering an intersection slowly while blind is no safer than doing the same thing at normal speeds.

14. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

The current sensor suite will never support fully autonomous driving. That said, I expect the capabilities of the Autopilot system based on current hardware will continue to improve; whether that includes high reliability in handling city streets remains to be seen. Intersections will always be a problem with the current hardware.

15. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

LOVE it. In my opinion AP along with the Go Pedal are the killer features of this car. I use it mainly on the highways but also learning to trust it on some of the smaller roads. As others have stated, it is perfect for stop and go traffic--I feel much more Zen like and calm when I'm on AP.

AP in the Tesla to me is analogous to the 3 Michelin Star rating for a restaurant, which is regarded as exceptional cuisine worth a special journey to that country just to try the food!

Enjoy your upgrade, you're gonna love it :)

16. tanner

tanner Active Member

in that case, I wonder if there will be a retrofit option when the tech is ready "in two year," as per Elon's recent interview with Fortune (too lazy to find source link)

17. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

Certainly not fully autonomous driving, except for very specific circumstances like parking. But there are still significant capabilities of the mobile eye that are not yet being utilized, so I expect city driving capabilities to expand.

18. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

^That. Exactly.^

19. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Love it. I had to do a few hundred miles without AP in severe rain, and I kept complaining to my wife how much I miss AP, lol. You get used very quickly

20. Soolim

Soolim Member

#20 Soolim, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    Not comfortable with the auto-lane change as implemented. Lane keeping is good enough for highway use, as intended.

Very well explained by: