Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot: Do you LOVE it?

Lex

Apr 23, 2015
Toronto, Canada
That wouldn't help. going slow doesn't help avoid the inability to see cross traffic. Entering an intersection slowly while blind is no safer than doing the same thing at normal speeds.
Oh my this place can get so particular (and kinda negative, eh ?) A crawling MS with AP has pretty decent vision, actually. At 2 kph or 50 cm / sec the radar and ultrasonics will probably know better than a human being could what's around. That's all I meant, I was approaching it from a "what if" challenge with existing hardware, not a requirement to drive beyond, as I said, a crawl.

tanner

Nov 17, 2013
SoCal
Oh my this place can get so particular (and kinda negative, eh ?) A crawling MS with AP has pretty decent vision, actually. At 2 kph or 50 cm / sec the radar and ultrasonics will probably know better than a human being could what's around. That's all I meant, I was approaching it from a "what if" challenge with existing hardware, not a requirement to drive beyond, as I said, a crawl.
I could easily see the camera being able to distinguish stop signs/stop lights too, much like it currently does with speed limit signs. I also know for a fact speed limit signs are much harder to distinguish than stop signs/lights (smaller target, usually posted more to the side of the road & they have to determine dynamic numbers versus static giant red 'STOP' signs / lights.

BertL

Aug 19, 2015
Carlsbad, CA
Unlike many here, I just "like" Autopilot.... It's not a L-O-V-E thing with me, I suspect to a large degree because I do less freeway and open highway traveling than many respondents. I see Autopilot that I have as only the beginning of what will ultimately be autonomous driving in some future hardware implementation beyond my own MS. I can be a part of something new today which I really enjoy, but do I NEED Autopilot or make great use of it? No. I do expect there will be software improvements while I own my MS making my few-times-per-year road trips even better because I have Autopilot, but as others have said, I do not expect my present hardware will ever do city street driving that I would use even more, dealing with 4-way stop sign (no lights) intersections, and so many other complex situations real drivers take for granted. I also expect that having Autopilot hardware opens up the potential of even more safety system improvements in the future compared to a MS without it, which I'll take every time.

All that being said, if I were buying a new MS tomorrow, would it have Autopilot? YES, without question. I never doubted I would order Autopilot when researching my present MS, and would not own one without it.

JenniferQ

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2015
San Diego, CA
Not comfortable with the auto-lane change as implemented. Lane keeping is good enough for highway use, as intended.

Very well explained by:
That's interesting to me, as I think the AP changes lanes flawlessly.

And I'm not sure if this is because of the new firmware update, but it does not dive right anymore. Sometimes there is a very slight pull, but nothing as strong as it used to be in the first edition of AP software so it is much easier to keep in the lanes now even with righthand exits every mile or so.

Last edited:

EarlyAdopter

Jun 24, 2012
Redmond, WA
I _love_ adaptive cruise control. Has totally changed driving long trips for me. Really amazing. Reduces the cognitive load of driving significantly.

I'm just "meh" on the autosteer. Too many cases where it doesn't work on highways around here. It also tends to hug the right side of the lane too closely, which really bugs me. I find it doesn't appreciably reduce the cognitive load beyond adaptive cruise control either.

So I just use TACC most of the time (one pull on the cruise stalk) and not full Autopilot (two pulls on the cruise stalk).

David_Cary

Dec 17, 2012
Cary, NC
I suppose the answer is partly geographic.

Two scenarios where it is amazing for me

1) Stop and go traffic. I rarely drive in the stuff but when I do, I choose autopilot. The stress level reduction factor is unbelievable. I don't know how anyone who drives in the stuff who would not buy a Tesla with AP if they could

2) Relatively empty highways. I drive these at times and it is why I pulled the trigger. It is fantastic.

Now on local streets, it has some issues. But TACC had issues 6 months ago. Now it is perfect. So I'm hopeful...

Electricfan

Aug 24, 2013
Houston
Do not buy the car if auto-pilot is your main attraction to it. Wait for Auto-pilot 2.0, which should be out in a few years. I made the mistake of upgrading from a non-AP Model S to one with AP, and wish I'd waited.

Be aware - you must keep both hands on the wheel and be ready to take over at any time!!

keepHANDS.jpg

Auto-pilot gets confused. If the road turns sharply, or if there are puddles on the road, or you're driving into the sun, etc etc etc. It is just not reliable enough, in my opinion.

If you're driving down the road and auto-pilot gets confused, and you're looking at the radio or sending a text or doing anything that has your deep attention, you could be in danger. Please know this before you buy!

Oct 25, 2015
Chicago, IL
I love autopilot :)

Autopilot was my main attraction to the S. It does the job for me, making my daily car commute (which includes 30-60 minutes of highway stop and go) much more bearable.

For me, it is not reliable enough to provide much value above ~35mph along my normal routes (urban highways with narrow-ish lanes, construction zones, and occasionally poor lane markings). But in stop and go congestion, I have found it to be nearly fault free. So it is basically fixes the worst 30-60 minutes of my day.

In my experience, the radar and ultrasonic sensors do a great job maintaining a safety margin to surrounding obstacles at lower speeds. On the other hand, the camera is easily fooled while picking up lane markings. Not a big deal at lower speeds. Suboptimal at 70mph :)

I imagine it would also do well in long distance interstate driving (assuming good lane markings), but I don't have any personal experience.

green1

Mar 25, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It has the same limited 18' of sideways and reward visibility at all speeds. That makes it completely unable to cross an intersection without someone controlling it to do the watching for it. doesn't matter what speed, it simply can't cross an intersection (safely) without a human driver. That will not change with this hardware and will always be the case until side cameras and/or radar are implemented. So no, "crawling" doesn't help at all.

- - - Updated - - -

in that case, I wonder if there will be a retrofit option when the tech is ready "in two year," as per Elon's recent interview with Fortune (too lazy to find source link)
Again, basically guaranteed that there will be no update. Early cars couldn't practically upgrade to parking sensors, no cars were allowed to upgrade to auto-pilot, if there were an upgrade path, you can bet it will be prohibitively expensive.

I can also 100% guarantee it will NOT be "two years", nothing Tesla has ever done has been remotely close to on time, and even if Tesla were somehow able to get the timeline right on this one, despite it being by far the most ambitious task they have ever set their mind too, there is no way it will have regulatory approval in less than 5-10 years.

luvnMyTS

Jan 6, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Scares the crap out of me on the highway at 60 MPH and above, especially when coming up on a curve. At that speed, it always recognizes the curve late, then abruptly corrects, but usually after it's already crossed over the line or ended up on the line, then struggles to smoothly get back in the lane after it misses it.

As others have said, it's amazing in stop and go traffic.

jerjozwik

May 12, 2014
san gabriel valley
Scares the crap out of me on the highway at 60 MPH and above, especially when coming up on a curve. At that speed, it always recognizes the curve late, then abruptly corrects, but usually after it's already crossed over the line or ended up on the line, then struggles to smoothly get back in the lane after it misses it.

As others have said, it's amazing in stop and go traffic.

los angeles eh, how has it been working driving west at sunset?

Patrick W

Mar 17, 2015
SLC, UT
Love it +!

It's kind of like when a new person/animal joins the family. It takes a little time for the family to get used to it and it takes a little time to get used to the family.

Can't wait to see what 7.1 brings! :)

tanner

Nov 17, 2013
SoCal
Love it +!

It's kind of like when a new person/animal joins the family. It takes a little time for the family to get used to it and it takes a little time to get used to the family.

Can't wait to see what 7.1 brings! :)
It's that big of a deal?! :O

SteveG3

Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2012
US
I thought I saw stories a couple of weeks ago that autopilot was going to be limited to driving at the posted speed limit. is there a simple yes or no on this (if it's more complicated than that I can dig around for a thread on this again)?

cmu5p

Feb 3, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
At the final point/stages of deciding to sell my car/purchase an 85D with autopilot. So, my question now is: DO YOU LOVE IT?! :D

YES. YES. YES!

I use it for 3/4 of my daily interstate commute. Has never failed me when used as indicated. Have also used it with extra caution on curvy highways with clear lane markings. Love it so much that I totally missed it when I dropped the car off overnight for annual maintenance and they gave me a P85 loaner- even with the faster acceleration. Love me some AP. You won't regret it.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought I saw stories a couple of weeks ago that autopilot was going to be limited to driving at the posted speed limit. is there a simple yes or no on this (if it's more complicated than that I can dig around for a thread on this again)?

i haven't noticed this and routinely drive AP at 75 with cruising traffic on 70mph sped limit interstate. Don't know my version offhand, but just had it earlier this month from the service center for annual service where they updated software (I assume the latest).

Trailblazer

Dec 21, 2015
Cornelius, NC

You can see a bunch of posts on this in the Firmware 7.0 thread under User Interface. Bottom line seems to be that, despite a reference in the manual to a 45 mph AP limitation on roads with no center divide, the latest firmware has not implemented any such restrictions. I have 2.9.68 and my AP is behaving the same as before. It's unclear if any such restrictions will appear in future firmware versions.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC