Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot: Do you LOVE it?

luvnMyTS

Jan 6, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
OK, I have to revise my earlier opinion. I just got the latest update a couple of days ago and tonight was the first time I've used AP since. WOW, they really did improve it. As other's have said, lane change are much better and less abrupt. The biggest thing I noticed was that it handled curves a thousand times better than before the update. Managed to hold the center of the lane smoothly through long curves. Definitely a huge improvement. I noticed it asked me to put my hands on the wheel more often that before.

It does still struggle on concrete freeways with white painted lines and when driving toward the sun. Glare seems to blind the car the same way it blinds a driver. Anyway, tonight was the first time I've been comfortable letting it drive at 65 MPH. 13 miles without a close call or nervous moment. Good job Tesla!

SteveG3

Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2012
US
You can see a bunch of posts on this in the Firmware 7.0 thread under User Interface. Bottom line seems to be that, despite a reference in the manual to a 45 mph AP limitation on roads with no center divide, the latest firmware has not implemented any such restrictions. I have 2.9.68 and my AP is behaving the same as before. It's unclear if any such restrictions will appear in future firmware versions.

appreciate the summary and pointer on where to find the discussion.

tanner

Nov 17, 2013
SoCal
OK, I have to revise my earlier opinion. I just got the latest update a couple of days ago and tonight was the first time I've used AP since. WOW, they really did improve it. As other's have said, lane change are much better and less abrupt. The biggest thing I noticed was that it handled curves a thousand times better than before the update. Managed to hold the center of the lane smoothly through long curves. Definitely a huge improvement. I noticed it asked me to put my hands on the wheel more often that before.

It does still struggle on concrete freeways with white painted lines and when driving toward the sun. Glare seems to blind the car the same way it blinds a driver. Anyway, tonight was the first time I've been comfortable letting it drive at 65 MPH. 13 miles without a close call or nervous moment. Good job Tesla!
Now you're a believer :)?

bint2k

Nov 13, 2011
Toronto, ON
Do not buy the car if auto-pilot is your main attraction to it. Wait for Auto-pilot 2.0, which should be out in a few years. I made the mistake of upgrading from a non-AP Model S to one with AP, and wish I'd waited.

Be aware - you must keep both hands on the wheel and be ready to take over at any time!!

View attachment 105541

Auto-pilot gets confused. If the road turns sharply, or if there are puddles on the road, or you're driving into the sun, etc etc etc. It is just not reliable enough, in my opinion.

If you're driving down the road and auto-pilot gets confused, and you're looking at the radio or sending a text or doing anything that has your deep attention, you could be in danger. Please know this before you buy!

I'd love to see if there is a comparison of the Model X AP vs Model S. I know its pretty much exactly the same setup, but perhaps the height of the cameras helps with a better Field of View or something...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC