Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot - do you use in frequent lane change conditions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Collecting my Tesla M3 LR on the 11th, which will be my first Tesla. I'm trying to weigh up whether I should pay for Enhanced Autopilot after collection or not. I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos, and read a lot of threads, and it seems that most people in the UK think it isn't worth the money. From what I can see, in the UK the automatic parking is more of a cool party trick the few times it successfully detects a space than something that people can rely on for every day parking. Also looks like in the UK that smart summon is basically useless unless you have a very specific regular driving situation like a tight garage or something.

Therefore, that really just leaves the automatic lane changing. This tempts me because it looks like, otherwise, you would have to manually disengage and reengage autopilot with every lane change you do. This seems like it would be annoying to me.

So I was wondering how owners with Autopilot (but not Enhanced Autopilot) tend to use it on busy motorways/dual carriageways where you're having to change lane to overtake multiple times every minute? Do you disable it (either using the stalk, or by making a deliberate steering wheel input), make the lane change, re-enable it by pressing down on the stalk twice, overtake the car, disable it, make the lane change back into the left lane, re-enable it by pressing down on the stalk twice? Doing this several times a minute sounds like a real faff! Or do you just only use it in very light traffic where you can go a long time between lane changes?

On most British motorways, you're lucky if you can go more than a minute without changing lanes if you're trying to stick to 70mph I find unless it is the middle of the night.

Agree too. The 95% reproducible phantom brake from lane 3 > lane 2 with HGV in lane 1 is extremely tedious.

I'm gonna admit to being very Biased here, being a truck driver. But personally I would never advise doing that. As your moving into lane 2, if your in such a position that your risking phantom breaking then I can almost guarantee you are also moving into the HGV's blind spot.

If that same HGV is preparing/in progress of moving out into Lane 2....it can be nasty. Its just something I never did as a car driver and now do even less that I can see both sides.

Totally get its not always an option, but if at all possible, get in front of the HGV before you move over. 2 birds, one stone.

Upvote 0
....and could I add - many trucks appear unable to see something straight ahead of the cab. A few years ago we were stationary at lights, with a big rig just behind: the lights changed and before we could move the truck accelerated into our rear and continued, pushing us across the intersection and 100 yds further until he realised we were part of his rig by then.

Upvote 0
'm gonna admit to being very Biased here, being a truck driver. But personally I would never advise doing that. As your moving into lane 2, if your in such a position that your risking phantom breaking then I can almost guarantee you are also moving into the HGV's blind spot.
Agreed. I try to avoid changing lane towards anyone in lane 1 - in fact, I have a vague recollection that a test case placed the blame on the person changing back into lane 2 for a collision due to them having a better view of the situation.

The problem with the Tesla is that it'll frequently place an HGV in the wrong place even when you're well past. I usually have to leave a full lorry length before it'll move back from lane 3 to lane 2 if there's an HGV in lane 1.

Upvote 0
....and could I add - many trucks appear unable to see something straight ahead of the cab. A few years ago we were stationary at lights, with a big rig just behind: the lights changed and before we could move the truck accelerated into our rear and continued, pushing us across the intersection and 100 yds further until he realised we were part of his rig by then.

Some of the higher cabs have got a real nasty blindspot directly infront of the front bumper. They "should" have a mirror to negate that, not that everyone uses it mind. I won't even pretend that most HGV drivers are "professional" because the more I do this job, the more so called drivers I see that make me want to facepalm myself into oblivion.

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Upvote 0