Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot does not like road repairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interstate 71 in Ohio recently had some repairs where the asphalt was failing where it was joined. Attached is a thumbnail of the repair and it shows how Autopilot thinks I am driving on a one lane road. In this stretch of road NoA, autopilot and FFS lane keep assist is worthless. Should Tesla get a pass or do you think the system should be able to handle a situation like this?

IMG_3944.JPG

Are you saying what looks like a double yellow line in the middle of the road there is just two lines of tar with a weird reflection?

I don't believe AutoPilot will ever cross a solid double line. Around here that's illegal.
That is a dashed white line which means you can freely pass from lane to lane. Not only is it missing this info it is missing the other lane altogether. I don't see a double yellow line there?

What I see is what I assume @StealthP3D and AP saw — two solid yellow lines around/over the dashed white line.

I think you’re saying that’s two black road repair lines with an unfortunate yellowish reflection from the sun? I find it hard to fault AP for thinking those are lane lines in that visibility.

Reactions: elf9
You have AP enabled and the car is clearly reading the lane, and it is autosteering at 10mph over the speed limit. I don't see this as a total failure, but I may have a different definition of this phrase in mind
I was not happy that the car would not change lanes.

When I forced the car over to the right lane and emergency lane keep assist was up my ass I was super unhappy.

Nobody can see the dashed white lines?

• Helpful
Reactions: Kant.Ing
I don’t see it as a big deal, btw. If it’s lane keeping and speed maintenance is fine, then whatever, you don’t have access to NoA or manually initiated ALC, big deal. Obviously, it isn’t a good thing and will definitely need to be solved for, but as is, unless the car actively puts you into danger, I don’t really consider it as a total failure.

Reactions: thewishmaster
I was not happy that the car would not change lanes.

When I forced the car over to the right lane and emergency lane keep assist was up my ass I was super unhappy.

Nobody can see the dashed white lines?

I see dashed white lines what appears to be at least a car length apart from each other, seemingly painted over the left of two solid yellow lines. If I encountered this in real life as it appears in your photos I would be really confused and stick to the right lane until I was sure it was a totally botched paint job from external context. I wouldn't want Autopilot making that call at this stage.