Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot does not like road repairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove this same road last week in my Model S. Thanks to the way the light is reflecting at this time of day, the car sees a solid white line (or perhaps a double one), which it will not cross. Hopefully the increased resolution and frame rate processing power of HW3 will help to alleviate these sort of edge cases.

• Helpful
Reactions: Atari2600
To me the real yellow line to the left of my car looks nothing like the black sealant lines to the right of my car. The glare is bad off that sealant though but the camera's are supposed to be able to handle that and they did not.
Yeah the line on the left is definitely more yellow. But to some of us looking at the pic and don’t know the road, the lines in the middle look more yellow than white. At least to me. But I hear ya.

Reactions: brkaus
The lanes are confusing as hell to everyone here and we're humans but you're upset that AP doesn't understand it either?
Your statement is very general so let me counter with a very specific statement.

This is not a half baked town, county or state road. This is on an interstate highway. If AP cannot function properly on an interstate highway I think that is a problem.

Crack sealants with some sunlight shining on them should not confuse AP. They need better image processing or higher dynamic range cameras.

This is definitely an edge case. What that looks like is two solid yellow lines, and that is what the AP vision system saw. That is why it didn't recognize that you could change lanes. Yes, I can see the dashed white lines, but in that picture, the solid yellow is far more prominent.

The edge case here is a result of the specific type of road repair that was done combined with a rather unique lighting situation. The sun, being low on the horizon but mostly obscured by clouds, results in the reflection on the road sealant looking like solid lane lines. This is not a situation that happens very often, if in fact any Tesla has ever encountered it before. I'm guessing that at a different time of day or even under different weather conditions, this wouldn't be a problem. The fact that so many people here who looked at your picture were confused makes it all the more unsurprising that the AP vision system itself got confused.

They probably can train the neural net to recognize the difference between a proper lane line and a unique reflection from the road sealant. I imagine they eventually will. Don't be too hard on them that they haven't yet done so.

I'm surprised AP doesn't set off the alarm and kick off to manual because it looks to me like you are driving in the oncoming lane. But maybe AP knows more about that stretch of road than I do.

AP unfortunately doesn't know anything about the side of road that you're on. You can be on the wrong side and turn AP on.

And OP, the car sees a solid line, it's not going to cross it. It's as simple as that for now.

I think this is maybe craziest of all the crazy AP indictment threads I’ve seen.

AP, even NoA, is not and is not purported to be level 3, 4, or 5. Anyone who doesn’t disable in construction zones risks improving the gene pool.

FWIW, if multiple people see the same photo and dispute what it is, then it is absolutely correct for AP to treat with abundance of caution.

I think this is maybe craziest of all the crazy ........ Anyone who doesn’t disable in construction zones risks improving the gene pool.

tenor.gif

So is a total failure of autopilot to properly see the road here acceptable?

Looks to me like you are still in NOA mode and the car is keeping in the lane just fine. I get that AP is not letting you change lanes because it is misinterpreting the fresh tar in the middle as a double yellow line when it isn't but if it is still keeping you perfectly in the lane, that's not a "total failure".

I think this is maybe craziest of all the crazy AP indictment threads I’ve seen.

AP, even NoA, is not and is not purported to be level 3, 4, or 5. Anyone who doesn’t disable in construction zones risks improving the gene pool.

FWIW, if multiple people see the same photo and dispute what it is, then it is absolutely correct for AP to treat with abundance of caution.
What makes you think this is a construction zone? o_O