Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot does not read cones or barricades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving from Tallahassee to Lake City in my MX on auto pilot. Obviously, we all know it’s drivers assistance not full self driving blah blah. But most of us use it a ton on the highway. You probably already know this, but it does NOT read cones. This is going to cost me.

Attachments

• 19B56B5B-0025-4E49-A48F-733219B853D0.jpeg
    19B56B5B-0025-4E49-A48F-733219B853D0.jpeg
    674.6 KB · Views: 230
How did you not know this? I'm sure you've figured out now that you need to pay attention in construction zones and when even moderate lane change I just take over because it will get confused with as the lanes shift.

Reactions: FlyF4
This is not just Teslas... other manufacturers such as Volvo's autopilot technology does not recognize stationary objects either. .. only the moving objects are taken into account. So, don't let go of the steering wheel and pay full attention until full autonomous driving arrives.

Driving from Tallahassee to Lake City in my MX on auto pilot. Obviously, we all know it’s drivers assistance not full self driving blah blah. But most of us use it a ton on the highway. You probably already know this, but it does NOT read cones. This is going to cost me.
It won’t read cones, barricades or vehicles on the side of the road. I’ve driving my X in So Florida about 18 months now and use AP 1 on a daily basis. I’ve learned to be ready to take over in construction or whenever the divider lines have worn away (a constant problem in Miami).

Ouch. In my experience, it actually does see construction barrels. It shows no hesitation about running them over, as you unfortunately discovered - but AP will prompt for hands on the wheel much more often when it sees the barrels - every 30 seconds or so.

Autopilot does not see giant truck tire fragments. I took over and dodged a big roll of carpet that autopilot ignored. I try to not drive in other people's blind spot. Autopilot is very limited,

I've obviously been a huge skeptic but seeing this stuff every day... I mean cmon... how can they possibly sell "full self driving capability", have people pay big dollars for that, and not get their butts sued off? Full self driving isn't a year away, it's a decade+ away. That is about the time we will see the promised 'drive from NY to LA without the driver lifting a finger' promise. Tesla and other automakers will brag about the lack of accidents with auto-driving, but those features also have a driver required to have their hands on the wheel. So it really
isn't a true result.

This is not just Teslas... other manufacturers such as Volvo's autopilot technology does not recognize stationary objects either. .. only the moving objects are taken into account. So, don't let go of the steering wheel and pay full attention until full autonomous driving arrives.

Close, but not quite right. Several cars on the road with pilot technology (including Tesla) DO recognize stationary objects. It just depends on the size of the object and the location.

I've obviously been a huge skeptic but seeing this stuff every day... I mean cmon... how can they possibly sell "full self driving capability", have people pay big dollars for that, and not get their butts sued off? Full self driving isn't a year away, it's a decade+ away. That is about the time we will see the promised 'drive from NY to LA without the driver lifting a finger' promise. Tesla and other automakers will brag about the lack of accidents with auto-driving, but those features also have a driver required to have their hands on the wheel. So it really
isn't a true result.

Uh, full self driving is not a decade away. It is here now and already on the road...... just not in a Tesla.

And we all know where that road is located ;)
I get the hint. :D Maybe I should be more specific. Not a particular road. I was referring to being in a self-driving custom Volvo that I was invited to try in Arizona a couple months ago. It was VERY unsettling to be in the passenger seat even though there was a "non driver" person behind the wheel. I was amazed at how well it handled practically everything. He never touched the controls during the whole 10 mile ride on various roads. AND it was raining !!!

So when someone says a particular technology will be here in X years, my experience in the technology field has taught me that it is really X / 5. Technology moves a LOT faster than most people can project.

I get the hint. :D Maybe I should be more specific. Not a particular road. I was referring to being in a self-driving custom Volvo that I was invited to try in Arizona a couple months ago. It was VERY unsettling to be in the passenger seat even though there was a "non driver" person behind the wheel. I was amazed at how well it handled practically everything. He never touched the controls during the whole 10 mile ride on various roads. AND it was raining !!!
The hint is actually two level. The other level is - current technology (including the implementation you have tried) heavily relies on maps (so we know very well where the roads where AV is enabled are).

It's pretty clear that various shuttle services/buses with a fixed route are on the forefront of adoption (assuming unions would not block it).

The hint is actually two level. The other level is - current technology (including the implementation you have tried) heavily relies on maps (so we know very well where the roads where AV is enabled are).

It's pretty clear that various shuttle services/buses with a fixed route are on the forefront of adoption (assuming unions would not block it).
Oh no, that is not what is happen in the car I was in. It is NOT a fixed route using GPS. Wrong assumption. I was allowed to punch in a location for it to drive. The sensors on that car looked like something from outer space. Go look it up. It was a test car and Uber was considering to use it for their fleet. You'd be amazed at the state of technology on some of the cars about to be introduced. It did a great job in a rural area to slow for the night time coyote that ran across the road and by moving a bit more toward the center line when passing a bike rider that was hugging the lane marker and not far enough to the right. Thus, it was adapting well.

I should add that you might be referring to the consumer model of the Volvo that is intended for the general market. Not quite there yet and certainly well behind the custom car. Agree, that the consumer cars are highly reliant on maps and "approved" roads. I am talking about the research car.

Last edited:
Oh no, that is not what is happen in the car I was in. It is NOT a fixed route using GPS. Wrong assumption. I was allowed to punch in a location for it to drive. The sensors on that car looked like something from outer space. Go look it up. It was a test car and Uber was considering to use it for their fleet. You'd be amazed at the state of technology on some of the cars about to be introduced.
I am sure it was amazing, but the location of where to go was in a well mapped area I am sure.