Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot does not recognize speed limit changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I set autopilot my model 3 goes right to the highway speed limit plus the extra 5 km/hr I have set. Unfortunately when the car moves to where the speed limit changes the autopilot does nothing to adjust the car speed. Is this normal?
I have tried to ask Tesla in numerous ways but no reply.

Speed limits are from mapping, as Puddles said. I find they are quite accurate, except in temporary or small locations, like detours, construction, and schools.
I have to agree with @alspinway
I find the speeds are VERY INACCURATE. On a divided roadway, one direction is listed as 80 and the other side is listed as 50! No construction or detour. 50 is the correct speed. On some city streets it shows 100 while it is actually 50. (all speeds in Km/H). Other times the map tries to take a longer route when the short route is a very good highway and is the main highway.
Wondering who to report it to! They are certainly welcome to my data. Not trying to bitch, but my Garmin is much more accurate. Unfortunately, it has not learned to drive, yet.

When I set autopilot my model 3 goes right to the highway speed limit plus the extra 5 km/hr I have set. Unfortunately when the car moves to where the speed limit changes the autopilot does nothing to adjust the car speed. Is this normal?
I have tried to ask Tesla in numerous ways but no reply.

While someone else may chime in with the details, it does change, some of the time. Set it and don't adjust it generally works for me.

Tesla speed system is pretty good, however it is not perfect. It does not read posted signs, but use geo-location from published governmental and private data bases. Those data bases are not always accurate. Not sure how much is available to them in Canada.

In upcoming releases, the cars will have the capability to read street signs, and that will help to make them more accurate, but still the driver is always the one that is in control of the car, and is responsible to take over if the autopilot does not respond to changes in speed limits.

In my area it is remarkably accurate, and seems to change speeds just as we are going past a new posted sign.

The only place that the car will automatically adjust the speed is -

- TACC + Autosteer engaged
- NOT on a divided highway
- The speed limit that the map *thinks* is 5 mph below the current speed

It is simply enforcing the rule: Local streets may not use AutoSteer more than 5mph over the limit.

Sorry, I don't know what the number is in Km/h

(it will never reduce the speed on a highway as there is no built in limit. It will not increase the speed if the limit increases)

Tesla speed system is pretty good, however it is not perfect. It does not read posted signs, but use geo-location from published governmental and private data bases. Those data bases are not always accurate
I agree. In my experience, my X and my 3 accurately display the speed limit over 90% of the time on the roads I have driven in the past few years (primarily Northern California, but also in adjacent states and as far away as New Mexico). But sometimes it displays the wrong speed limit.
I have to agree with @alspinway
I find the speeds are VERY INACCURATE. On a divided roadway, one direction is listed as 80 and the other side
Perfection has not yet been attained. :cool: Sounds like the map database in Manitoba has a lot of room for improvement.

I've seen the posted speed limit change, my car recognize this yet not adjust the speed. I have to cancel out AP then reactivate it ....happens a lot.
I have this problem, sometimes it works but sometimes it doesn't.

• The optics working: The car sees the speed limit (no matter if it's construction works or just a zone change) and adjusts the speed up or down. Me: 😁
  • The optics working, yet the car ignores them : sometimes it reads the signs and ploughs straight ahead ignoring the change. Me: 🙄🙈

I thought it was a setting but couldn't find anything and here I am!

I have this problem, sometimes it works but sometimes it doesn't.

• The optics working: The car sees the speed limit (no matter if it's construction works or just a zone change) and adjusts the speed up or down. Me: 😁
  • The optics working, yet the car ignores them : sometimes it reads the signs and ploughs straight ahead ignoring the change. Me: 🙄🙈
it doesn‘t use optics, it uses the gps database