Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot doesnt come with the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just purchased an used Dec 2016 built model S and just realized I can't even access basic autopilot. But the main screen shows it has " Autopilot safety features, included package". Doesn't that mean autopilot is included? The owner was clueless about the car. Does anyone knows the answer to this?

• Funny
Reactions: gaswalla
Tesla sold before late 2018 doesn't come with standard AP. The owner would have to purchase either EAP (Enhanced Autopilot) or FSD in order get the basic AP. You can check in your app's upgrade page to see if you have option to upgrade to EAP. If it shows an option to let you upgrade to EAP, then you probably don't have AP at all until you upgrade.

Tesla sold before late 2018 doesn't come with standard AP. The owner would have to purchase either EAP (Enhanced Autopilot) or FSD in order get the basic AP. You can check in your app's upgrade page to see if you have option to upgrade to EAP. If it shows an option to let you upgrade to EAP, then you probably don't have AP at all until you upgrade.

October 2015​

Tesla releases Tesla Version 7.0 software, enabling Autopilot as a feature for Model S drivers. It combines adaptive cruise control and Autosteer, a lane centering function designed to keep Tesla vehicles within painted lane lines. A company blog post explicitly says that Autopilot is not a self-driving system and that “the driver is still responsible for, and ultimately in control of, the car,” but it also reiterates that Tesla vehicles are equipped with hardware “to allow for the incremental introduction of self-driving technology.”

Hmm. This is news to me...
My Dec 2017 MX doesn't come with AP at all. I have to pay $5000 to get EAP in order to just use the basic AP even I have no need to summon, auto park and other stuff. My Aug 2018 M3 doesn't come with AP either. I have to also paid $5000 to get EAP. Now I don't know if they go back and give free basic AP to every Tesla before AP basic came with the car (late 2018)....

Reactions: ElectricIAC

Attachments

• Resized_20221104_170801.jpeg
    Resized_20221104_170801.jpeg
    433.1 KB · Views: 383
My Dec 2017 MX doesn't come with AP at all. I have to pay $5000 to get EAP in order to just use the basic AP even I have no need to summon, auto park and other stuff. My Aug 2018 M3 doesn't come with AP either. I have to also paid $5000 to get EAP. Now I don't know if they go back and give free basic AP to every Tesla before AP basic came with the car (late 2018)....
Before you purchased autopilot, did you adaptive or smart cruise control? Currently, without AP, when im on cruise control, the car doesn't even slow down or stop when I'm getting very close to the car in the front, so I have to hit the brakes manually or else, it will hit into the car in front of me. I thought it will at least come with smart cruise control that will brake or slow down for you.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Before you purchased autopilot, did you adaptive or smart cruise control? Currently, without AP, when im on cruise control, the car doesn't even slow down or stop when I'm getting very close to the car in the front, so I have to hit the brakes manually or else, it will hit into the car in front of me. I thought it will at least come with smart cruise control that will brake or slow down for you.
My MX was bought with EAP so it came with Traffic Alert Cruise Control. I think if the car didn't any AP or EAP or FSD, then it may just come with normal CC. You should go into your "Upgrade" menu to see if there is an option to upgrade to AP basic.

Autopilot = TACC + Autosteer (Beta). So if you don't have AP, you don't have TACC as well.

My MX was bought with EAP so it came with Traffic Alert Cruise Control. I think if the car didn't any AP or EAP or FSD, then it may just come with normal CC. You should go into your "Upgrade" menu to see if there is an option to upgrade to AP basic.

Autopilot = TACC + Autosteer (Beta). So if you don't have AP, you don't have TACC as well.
Wow, it doesn't even come with smart cruise control for such an expensive car. It does shows the autopilot tab on the left side of the main screen so I assume it comes with autopilot. I guess I should have look more in to it before it's too late.

I just purchased an used Dec 2016 built model S and just realized I can't even access basic autopilot. But the main screen shows it has " Autopilot safety features, included package". Doesn't that mean autopilot is included? The owner was clueless about the car. Does anyone knows the answer to this?

Autopilot would not be standard with a 2016 model year vehicle. "Autopilot safety features" are not "autopilot traffic aware cruise control".

=====================================

Active Safety Features​

Active safety features come standard on all Tesla vehicles made after September 2014 for elevated protection at all times. These features are made possible by our Autopilot hardware and software system and include:

• Automatic Emergency Braking: Detects cars or obstacles that the car may impact and applies the brakes accordingly
  • Forward Collision Warning: Warns of impending collisions with slower moving or stationary cars
  • Side Collision Warning: Warns of potential collisions with obstacles alongside the car
  • Obstacle Aware Acceleration: Automatically reduces acceleration when an obstacle is detected in front of your car while driving at low speeds
  • Blind Spot Monitoring: Warns when a car or obstacle is detected when changing lanes
  • Lane Departure Avoidance: Applies corrective steering to keep your car in the intended lane
  • Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance: Steers your car back into the driving lane when it detects that your car is departing its lane and there could be a collision
Active safety features are designed to assist drivers, but cannot respond in every situation. It is your responsibility to stay alert, drive safely and be in control of your car at all times.

Wow, it doesn't even come with smart cruise control for such an expensive car. It does shows the autopilot tab on the left side of the main screen so I assume it comes with autopilot. I guess I should have look more in to it before it's too late.
This statement summarizes how a LOT of new owners are going to experience their first Tesla. They see things like "Has Autopilot" or "Full Self Driving Capable" and "Full Self Driving Computer" and think this car has those things available. Nope. They don't.

3rd party car dealers are absolutely cleaning up on using misdirection (some intentional, some not) to sell cars to people who think they're getting the car that "drives itself" that they've heard so much about. They rush into a purchase and then quickly learn that most of what they were told doesn't mean what they though. Most used car shoppers don't realize that there is EASILY $10k-$20k of difference in value based upon options/features of these cars that are largely software based that you can't "see" unless you know what to look for.

Tesla has done a real disservice to the average consumer by making this topic intentionally convoluted when they should be making efforts to make it more simple like the do so many other aspects of automotive segment.

When I purchased M3 SR+ in March Autopilot was $3000 addition. The VERY NEXT MONTH they started building them w TESLA board and AP included

This statement summarizes how a LOT of new owners are going to experience their first Tesla. They see things like "Has Autopilot" or "Full Self Driving Capable" and "Full Self Driving Computer" and think this car has those things available. Nope. They don't.

3rd party car dealers are absolutely cleaning up on using misdirection (some intentional, some not) to sell cars to people who think they're getting the car that "drives itself" that they've heard so much about. They rush into a purchase and then quickly learn that most of what they were told doesn't mean what they though. Most used car shoppers don't realize that there is EASILY $10k-$20k of difference in value based upon options/features of these cars that are largely software based that you can't "see" unless you know what to look for.

Tesla has done a real disservice to the average consumer by making this topic intentionally convoluted when they should be making efforts to make it more simple like the do so many other aspects of automotive segment.
when I bought my 2017 MS there was not much discussion by Tesla sales about AP or even battery range for that matter. I tried to educate myself to somewhat from these forums but not from Tesla. I got mine with EAP for an additional $5k hoping it will be useful. That winter I learnt the hardway that I was only getting 40% of my total range. I had to trade the very next year for a MS 100D. Some of those should be explained better to the consumers.