TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Autopilot doesn't work in underground tunnels?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Hota, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Hota

Hota Member

Anyone else have this problem?

When I drive through a particular tunnel near where I live that goes under the water, I get the take over immediately warning tones if I have AP activated. Unfortunately, if this happens, AP or TACC can't be activated for another 20-30 minutes for some reason. If I don't have AP running in the tunnel, I can activate it immediately after emerging.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do you think that if AP loses GPS that it can't operate?

2. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

The fleet has to traverse the tunnel hundreds or thousands of times before the AP database has enough data to work even when GPS cuts out. Presumably some time down the road that particular tunnel will be mapped enough for AP to trust itself driving there.

I have vague memory of the explanation Musk gave and a video of a car going into a tunnel through a mountain (might have been an animation, or a still photo and my mind animated it).

3. RAW84

RAW84 Member

I've used it many times in the tunnels beneath downtown Boston as well as the tunnels that go to the airport (under the harbor) and haven't experienced this issue. dhanson865 may be correct about the fleet needing to learn the tunnel (I never knew this was a requirement) but if you're talking about those tunnels then the problem is with your car and you should raise the issue with Tesla.

4. Hota

Hota Member

Thanks...the tunnel to the airport that goes under Boston Harbor is the one I have an issue with. Will try it one more time to see if it's "learned" before I bring it up.

5. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

There is no learning going on here. Let's not make this a Hollywood sci-fi movie. Atleast not for AP 1.0.

If you have two clearly marked lanes, AP will work. Simple as that. Now it is possible the sensors get too much interference in a closed tunnel environment and that is confusing the TACC. In general there are too many lights that produce a lot of glare inside a tunnel.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  6. Mike K

Mike K Member

#6 Mike K, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    I'm not sure why anyone would dislike this post. He's right. There might be learning going on with the AP1 cars but given the fact that fleet learning/ data collecting began with 8.0 and there was no lose in AP functions when 8.0 was rolled out, it's safe to assume that the AP1 cars use the fleet data in addition to their standard programming, not instead of it. Given that, I would agree that this isn't a case of the fleet needing to learn.

Is there anything else odd about this tunnel? I wonder if radar is just getting too many false positives and it causes the system to disable itself. I noticed yesterday in the rain I got the cruise control temporarily unavailable message and even when cruise came back, autosteer never did for the remainder of that 20 minute drive. This makes me think the system disables itself when it experiences a situation that it does not expect and then self checks itself continually before allowing itself to be re-engaged.

With the importance of the system, Autopilot almost certainly has some type of a crosscheck with itself and when it fails this crosscheck the system is disabled until it strings together enough continuous crosscheck passes before it allows itself to be re-engaged. In this sense the system would be able to have conservative programming that would allow it to be disabled when it suspects there is a sensor issue but also capable of re-enabling itself once it's satisfied that the unexpected data was an anomaly.

So really, working in much the same way a traditional ICE vehicle might determine it has a bad sensor, just much more complex given the complexity of the system.

7. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

I don't think it is a fleet learning thing. It happens to me in various tunnels including the Lincoln and Holland tunnels into Manhattan which likely have had plenty of fleet learning opportunities.

8. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

Just went through the Lincoln tunnel yesterday and AP worked great. It probably handled those narrow lanes, curves, and traffic as well if not better than I do.

• Like x 1
  9. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

When you move from a stressed situation where conditions are bad for AP, to good conditions - the system takes a while to get the confidence that the situation has indeed improved and it is not a false positive. It has to see the steady state of the environment for about say 30 seconds before AP will work.

10. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Drove twice through a two-mile long tunnel going underneath the Chesapeake Bay yesterday and AP worked the whole way without issue.

11. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.42

What has everyone's experience been with autopilot and above ground tunnels? ;)

12. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Good... :p I go through the Caldecott tunnel in the Bay Area without issue most days... There are occasional glare issues that do crop up given the lack of clear lane markers and such but overall it's quite reliable.

Jeff