Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot draws first blood

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never heard Tesla would pay compensation for Autopilot accidents (including slow speed like smart summon from a home garage or public parking lot ) so far.

In each and every complaint so far, Tesla has always said that its system functioned as designed.

My guess its designed is beta so what do you expect?
I had a similar experience yesterday where autopilot suddenly pulled left into the freeway median at 65 MPH. How does one contact Tesla directly?

I bought and have used Autopilot/FSD since 2017 so I got used to its deficiencies very early on and I learned to place at least one hand on the steering wheel with my own counter-torque at all times just to override such scenarios like yours above (on the first drive after the delivery at the factory to my home 200 miles away.)

It has its own mine and it could steer very wrongly but I could feel its torque so I could detect its correct or incorrect steering very instantaneously.

My own intervention/correction/overriding reflex has been seamlessly, effortlessly, naturally, and relaxing.

I guess I am a beta guy so I enjoy using the imperfect system.
this is how everyone should drive anyway. it tells you its bad and tells you to always keep your hands on the wheel. if you cant get there quik enough why should tesla help anyone not following the simple request?

if you had hit someone or something with this in mind you really think insurance will pay out? you followed noon pof the isntructions plus was driving dangerously by not havigna hand on the wheel.

I only use Autopilot on the motorway when traversing between junctions. Even then cautiously. Even in the fast lane and moving to the middle lane with no other cars present but a lorry parallel to me in the slow lane the car goes crazy trying to avoid a phantom collision. I always wait now till no lorries present in the slow lane and then pull in. Can be dangerous for new owners if not aware of ongoing issues.

Reactions: Cardo
I only use Autopilot on the motorway when traversing between junctions. Even then cautiously. Even in the fast lane and moving to the middle lane with no other cars present but a lorry parallel to me in the slow lane the car goes crazy trying to avoid a phantom collision. I always wait now till no lorries present in the slow lane and then pull in. Can be dangerous for new owners if not aware of ongoing issues.
I've never liked people tailgating me, but when someone drives close behind me now I drop out of TACC - all it needs is someone to wobble in the adjacent lane and the car will drop anchors.
OTOH, the other day in the M1 roadworks someone pulled out into my path without looking, and TACC reacted faster than I would have.

I've never liked people tailgating me, but when someone drives close behind me now I drop out of TACC - all it needs is someone to wobble in the adjacent lane and the car will drop anchors.
OTOH, the other day in the M1 roadworks someone pulled out into my path without looking, and TACC reacted faster than I would have.
Good to hear but wouldn’t that have been AEB rather than TACC?

I've always wondered, do the brake lights come on when the car regens to slow down?

I've always thought at motorway speeds, slowing that quickly and suddenly, other people would expect to see brake lights come on.

I've wondered that in general driving too as brake lights = stopping. But with the brakes barley being used in a Tesla it must take some getting used to following one. I've only ever done it once before buying one but can't remember if I noticed.

I've always wondered, do the brake lights come on when the car regens to slow down?

I've always thought at motorway speeds, slowing that quickly and suddenly, other people would expect to see brake lights come on.

I've wondered that in general driving too as brake lights = stopping. But with the brakes barley being used in a Tesla it must take some getting used to following one. I've only ever done it once before buying one but can't remember if I noticed.
Brakes lights come on above a certain rate of deceleration, be it with mechanical brakes or just regen.

Yep. If you follow some Teslas it looks like they are trying to communicate in morse code.

Code:
.... . .-.. .--.     
-- -.--     -.. .-. .. ...- . .-.     .... .- ...     -. --- -     .-.. . .- .-. -. . -..     - ---    
 ..- ... .     .-. . --. . -.     ... -- --- --- - .... .-.. -.--

Oh man. I can here for the gory details.
1628780068227.png