Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Dropping Out after Several Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fairchild

14S,16 X90,18 3,19 XRvn, 21 Y, 14S. 22 YP, 23 3
Mar 27, 2016
Florida
My autopilot drops out and is not available for the rest of the trip after driving just a couple of miles with FRONT RADER SIGN

Problem ensured shortly after installation of PPF and decal. Autopilot works for about five miles or so than blasts TAKE OVER, giving error the "front radar signal is diminished" at attempts to reengage. Also no cruise control.

Of course, I also get left and right pillar camera blocked warnings at times which SC explains as condensation. Hmmmm. Never happened on the X.

I was going to have the PPF cut out over the sensors, but I have never had a problem with PPF on any other TESLA. Thought it might because I have three layers (the PPF, the decal, and the reflective Tesla T), but the radar unit is located off-center and not behind the T. I am wondering if the "reflective T" is the culprit and throwing off the radar signal, but why would it work for about five or ten miles before disabling? Puzzling.

Y Front.jpg

I have a mobile visit scheduled for Jan 15th. I seem to think it is software or the computer. Several individuals have reported having to replace some parts. One reported having to replace the computer.
BTW. When I did a reboot after I lost all settings to include phone, music and name of car. It came up like a factory reset and even the time was set to California. Even though is was connected to internet the time wouldn't correct and GPS wasn't working correctly. Finally after a download the other night those issues have resolved, but I admit I realize how much I have gotten to depend on AUTOPILOT. I feel like I am being punished having to have to actually drive the car, especially without even cruise control.

A real puzzle. Any ideas?

Well, I removed the front decal on MY and the autopilot returned.
I decided to put a moustache decal on it, which I think really looks nice.
Scoop, der it is. Autopilot gone again after five minutes in the vehicle.
Tech says the computer assesses data for five minutes and determines there is not enough data to drive autopilot safely, then shuts down.
So, I will drop by my detailer and have him cut out the front sensors because I really really like the look of the TESLA Moustache.

Attachments

• 20210314_145610_resized.jpg
    20210314_145610_resized.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 75
  • Duck.jpg
    Duck.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 66
Well, I removed the front decal on MY and the autopilot returned.
I decided to put a moustache decal on it, which I think really looks nice.
Scoop, der it is. Autopilot gone again after five minutes in the vehicle.
Tech says the computer assesses data for five minutes and determines there is not enough data to drive autopilot safely, then shuts down.
So, I will drop by my detailer and have him cut out the front sensors because I really really like the look of the TESLA Moustache.
The radar will be stopped by anything metallic. (Probably your... nose accessories), The things your detailer would adjust are ULTRASONIC sensors.
The small circles use sound to find objects. The thing behind the mustache uses radio to find objects. Completely different. Don’t waste your time at the detailer.

Reactions: Mrbrock
The radar will be stopped by anything metallic. (Probably your... nose accessories), The things your detailer would adjust are ULTRASONIC sensors.
The small circles use sound to find objects. The thing behind the mustache uses radio to find objects. Completely different. Don’t waste your time at the detailer.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I both had fleas and tics. The metallic was interfering with the radar and the sensors weren't operating properly because they were covered with PPF.

Took the metallic part off and the autopilot is working fine. Had the sensors trimmed and they are working fine. Platypus no more. Best of both worlds with remaining decal and PPF intact.

Guess, I just miss my Model X. All good.

Attachments

• 20210320_124741_resized.jpg
    20210320_124741_resized.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210320_124757_resized.jpg
    20210320_124757_resized.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 20210320_124816_resized (1).jpg
    20210320_124816_resized (1).jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 50