Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

autopilot/eap/fsd history

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Looking for history of AP/EAP/FSD features promised (screenshots of tesla website), costs, and features delivered. I have the mother frunker tweet/talk history, but not the official company history.

Best I've found: Tesla feature differences due to hardware

This still doesn't have dates, prices, screenshots.

My goal is to make a super simple web page that shows the truth, so people can compare apples to apples when considering the history.

I personally think it was a strategic blunder for Tesla to switch Auto Steer to free/standard. (TACC and safety features should be standard but not steering). Reason? Not enough value for remaining features in many peoples eyes.

Anyway, my two cents. Any links to screenshots or price/features history will help.

Last edited:
  • 2013-may-8 (musk): "Autopilot is a good thing to have in planes, and we should have it in cars."
  • 2014-oct: pre-purchase autopilot with Tech option. (price?) "include semi-autonomous drive and parking capabilities, and was not designed for self-driving"
  • 2014-sep to 2016-oct: all models built with HW1/MobileEye
  • 2015-oct-14: Autopilot enabled as part of V7 (features?)
  • 2016-jan: changes made to reduce risky behavior in V7.1 (what ones?)
  • 2016-oct: all cars come with HW2 ("with the necessary sensors and computing hardware for future Full Self-Driving" ... "used the term Enhanced Autopilot (EA) to refer to HW2 capabilities that were not available in HW1, which include the ability to automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, to transition from one freeway to another, and to exit the freeway when the destination is near"
  • 2016-nov: V8 announcement ("processes radar signals to create a coarse point cloud similar to LIDAR to help navigate in low visibility")
  • 2016-nov: V8 updated to "a more noticeable signal to the driver that it is engaged and to require drivers to touch the steering wheel more frequently"
  • 2017-feb: HW2 Autopilot released with "included traffic-aware cruise control, autosteer on divided highways, and autosteer on 'local roads' up to a speed of 45 mph"
  • 2017-mar: V8.1 brought HW2 cars all features from HW1 cars
  • 2017-aug: announced HW2.5
  • 2019-mar: began including HW3/FSD-computer in all cars
  • 2019-may: updated AP to comply with Europe
  • 2019-sep: released V10 to early access program with "improvements in driving visualization and automatic lane changes."
  • 2019-dec-28: website said FSD was "coming later this year (2020?) that could "recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs" and with "Automatic driving on city streets"
  • 2020-jan (musk): City streets by end of 2020 and "feature complete doesn't mean that features are working well."
  • 2020-sep: reintroduced EAP to "designate the subset of features applying to highway travel, parking, and summoning, whereas the Full-Self Driving option adds automation on city roads with traffic lights"
  • 2020-oct: FSD beta releases to early testers

(not sure when EAP went away again and standard AP became free.)

Last edited:
Hi,

Looking for history of AP/EAP/FSD features promised (screenshots of tesla website), costs, and features delivered. I have the mother frunker tweet/talk history, but not the official company history.

My goal is to make a super simple web page that shows the truth, so people can compare apples to apples when considering the history.

I personally think it was a strategic blunder for Tesla to switch Auto Steer to free/standard. (TACC and safety features should be standard but not steering). Reason? Not enough value for remaining features in many peoples eyes.

Anyway, my two cents. Any links to screenshots or price/features history will help.
Checkout this thread.

Comment: I've seen multiple threads from you where you ask for complete histories of something. I think price of the FSD option was another.

Hi,

Thanks for
Comment: I've seen multiple threads from you where you ask for complete histories of something. I think price of the FSD option was another.

This is the post. That spreadsheet is helpful. Still looking for official sources, not articles. Dates could get me close in wayback machine.

Reason .. want a clear summary of Tesla promises/costs (not Elon tweets/talk).

Too much FUD/confusion about FSD.