Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Endurance/Range Challenge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's an idea if some crafty person wants to set a world record and grab headlines for Tesla.

Once autopilot lane keeping comes out someone needs to coordinate with a test track / closed circuit to attempt a world record for EV range. Set the cruise control at the optimum speed of 25-30mph turn on lane keeping and let sit back for 15 hours or so as the car does laps automatically.

Here's a half baked plan for somebody in southern California to run with. The Mojave, CA supercharger is located about 5 miles from the Hyundai-Kia test track. Charge to 100% at the Mojave supercharger and then drive to the test track (pre-coordinated). They have a 240V outlet there so you can regain the 5 miles you lost getting to the track. Reset your trip counter/GPS logger and ease onto the track. Turn on autopilot at the optimum speed. The track has perfect lane markings so it should work great.

I'm thinking that you might be able to get over 400 miles in a situation like this. You may need to plan it for cooler weather so that climate control is not needed.

Anybody interested in trying to do this? Coordination with Hyundai/KIA is the hard part. They have opened the track before for a cycling event that I attended.

BTW, I live near this track so I'd be willing to help support this effort however I can.

It would only take about 8 hours if the Model S were fully charged to die at 25-30mph

no, a Florida owner and his son did this in 2013 and hit 423 miles and it took them over 17 hours. read here: World Record Father-Son Drive | Tesla Motors

so your record to beat is 423 miles. this should be doable with an S85D. Remember these guys did it on early hardware and without dual motors. the dual motor version is more efficient. so you need to beat 423 miles.

If you're going to use a closed track and autopilot, I fail to see the "challenge". You might as well just sit in a parked car and see if you can go 16hrs without having to use the bathroom.

FWIW, I did 400.7mi in my S85 two years ago; only stopped once. :) Took me ~16.5hrs at an average of just over 24mph. data, photos

If you're going to use a closed track and autopilot, I fail to see the "challenge". You might as well just sit in a parked car and see if you can go 16hrs without having to use the bathroom.

FWIW, I did 400.7mi in my S85 two years ago; only stopped once. :) Took me ~16.5hrs at an average of just over 24mph. data, photos

It's not so much a bladder challenge as it is an opportunity to make headlines for the autopilot and range. Just a fun idea that I thought someone might like to take on once autopilot is out.

Do you have any information on your 400 mile trip? Did you do a forum post about it? I'd love to read more.

It's not so much a bladder challenge as it is an opportunity to make headlines for the autopilot and range. Just a fun idea that I thought someone might like to take on once autopilot is out.

Do you have any information on your 400 mile trip? Did you do a forum post about it? I'd love to read more.

Who said you can't stop to pee on an alligator in the Everglades or wherever you're going?? It just has to be distance traveled between charging. Nobody said non-stop.

AutoPilot relies heavily on painted lines, and, while the test track may have lines, I bet they are far apart. For me, AP works best when following another car---in the open, it has to make many choices.

I am SO impressed with AP. I wondered if it would lull me to sleep--just the opposite. It does the mundane, mind numbing driving tasks for me, and allows me to be more alert for other things.

AutoPilot relies heavily on painted lines, and, while the test track may have lines, I bet they are far apart. For me, AP works best when following another car---in the open, it has to make many choices.

I am SO impressed with AP. I wondered if it would lull me to sleep--just the opposite. It does the mundane, mind numbing driving tasks for me, and allows me to be more alert for other things.

Do something like this
on some empty pavement, paint lines (or use white tape, likely same result), and as someone else mentioned, put a car in front (I hear VM diesels are all the rage right now...) for AP to lock on to. And do us all a favor, use a time lapse camera ;-).

Last edited by a moderator: