Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unknown, the OP of that thread stopped posting, so he either didn't update it, never got an answer, or got an answer he didn't like and didn't want to share it. Hopefully you'll let us know how yours resolves.

It's also possible there was a NDA if Tesla was actually at fault and settled out of court. A gag order or signing a NDA would keep you from posting any more...Very doubtful this was the outcome, but it's possible.

• Informative
Reactions: PaulusdB
I'd love to see the result of a 3rd party pulling the logs. Even just seeing the state of the pedals would probably clear up the majority of confusion.
If there is some way the software is shutting off braking systems thats very important, I would be very surprised and disappointed
I think the chances are low but the OP seems to stand by his version so I think its worth getting a 3rd party involved to pull the logs.

More than likely, all cases will typically reveal some level of human error. But, the issue is how can the car's system lead to human error and how can it prevent it. That's why pulling logs can be beneficial even if they reveal what we already know. If Tesla made it easy to understand common events of human error they could better build a system to protect us from our own mistakes, or we could be more aware of these events which would then make them less likely to happen.

More than likely, all cases will typically reveal some level of human error. But, the issue is how can the car's system lead to human error and how can it prevent it. That's why pulling logs can be beneficial even if they reveal what we already know. If Tesla made it easy to understand common events of human error they could better build a system to protect us from our own mistakes, or we could be more aware of these events which would then make them less likely to happen.

Let’s assume that Tesla determines that the OP mistakenly pressed the accelerator and not the brake. How do you suggest that Tesla, or any other manufacturer, prevent the driver from accidentally pressing the wrong pedal?

I had a 2010 Prius prior to the 3 and went through all of the Unintended Acceleration claims against Toyota. Every one was determined to be operator error based on the vehicle data.

There were many of us on the PriusChat forum that tested the claim that the Prius brakes did not override the accelerator. I floored the accelerator and then hit the brakes while holding down the accelerator. I ate the steering wheel from the sudden stop. This was before Toyota made any software changes to improve their systems.

Let’s assume that Tesla determines that the OP mistakenly pressed the accelerator and not the brake. How do you suggest that Tesla, or any other manufacturer, prevent the driver from accidentally pressing the wrong pedal?

I had a 2010 Prius prior to the 3 and went through all of the Unintended Acceleration claims against Toyota. Every one was determined to be operator error based on the vehicle data.

There were many of us on the PriusChat forum that tested the claim that the Prius brakes did not override the accelerator. I floored the accelerator and then hit the brakes while holding down the accelerator. I ate the steering wheel from the sudden stop. This was before Toyota made any software changes to improve their systems.

In your given scenario you are correct you can't stop someone from hitting the gas instead of the brake because you can't physically change them. But who's to say that the logs couldn't reveal that hitting the wrong pedal is a common mistake and that the pedals should be moved further apart in a later build? That's the whole point of keeping these logs.

I am making the point that if the logs showed there was a common human behavior that caused a safety issue, they could better come up with a solution in knowing what lead up to that human behavior. Tesla is obviously doing just that: maintaining and reviewing logs for future improvements. Making the logs more accessible to drivers, even at an aggregate level, could improve driver behavior without the need of Tesla intervention and without having to "test" reported issues (like you eating the steering wheel).

In your given scenario you are correct you can't stop someone from hitting the gas instead of the brake because you can't physically change them. But who's to say that the logs couldn't reveal that hitting the wrong pedal is a common mistake and that the pedals should be moved further apart in a later build? That's the whole point of keeping these logs.

I am making the point that if the logs showed there was a common human behavior that caused a safety issue, they could better come up with a solution in knowing what lead up to that human behavior. Tesla is obviously doing just that: maintaining and reviewing logs for future improvements. Making the logs more accessible to drivers, even at an aggregate level, could improve driver behavior without the need of Tesla intervention and without having to "test" reported issues (like you eating the steering wheel).

I understand and agree with your point of always striving to improve on auto safety. Moving the pedals further apart was also a recommendation to Toyota. This was not done by Toyota. From what I remember, the reason given was that the percentage of occurrence was so low that it was not worth the additional manufacturing cost.

I personally wouldn't want the pedals to be further apart. I'm used to switching quickly from the accelerator to the brake to avoid a collision. If the pedals were further apart I could conceivably miss the brake pedal in a high stress situation and then be in an accident.

I wasn’t able to replicate the problem this morning but I did call the sc to look over the logs. They couldn’t even find it in my logs that I had engaged the autopilot though they said they might be looking in the wrong place. I have an appt scheduled for Thursday will see if anything’s up

I personally wouldn't want the pedals to be further apart. I'm used to switching quickly from the accelerator to the brake to avoid a collision. If the pedals were further apart I could conceivably miss the brake pedal in a high stress situation and then be in an accident.

Besides distance between the pedals, there is also the heights of the pedals to consider. Brake pedals are usually 'higher' than accelerator pedals - in the Model 3 it is about 2 inches higher . I don't know what the specific reason for that design is, or what the industry average is, but I think its plausible that changes in that distance differential would have an effect on reaction times, odds of misapplication, and overall safety with regard to pedal application. Also pedal lengths/widths, materials, texture, tension, travel, and location of fulcrum probably have an impact. So, there are lots of places to look for faults and/or improvements.