Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot error (dashcam for evidence)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess my Counterpoint to using Auto steer on city streets is that Tesla obviously knows when I'm driving on a city street. It limits my auto-steer to only 5 miles per hour above the speed limit. On a highway it does not limit my auto steer to 5 miles an hour above the speed limit. So my thinking is auto-steer is not recommended for City driving but the future is still enabled obviously. If the future was truly dangerous Tesla should disable the feature when it recognizes a driver is on a city street. It simply gives the driver overconfidence that he shouldn't have on city streets. It would almost be like if seatbelts didn't work in a crash above 80 miles an hour. Well we still wear seatbelts and sometimes have crashes going a hundred miles an hour. So should we just take our seat belts off if we go above 80 miles an hour because they're not going to work properly at 120 miles an hour? Of course not we still wear her seatbelt. Obviously not an apples-to-apples comparison but it's just something that came to mind

Your analogy isnt really close at all. A better analogy is someone driving 75 MPH in a residential zone. The car will let you do it, and some people do, even though they shouldnt. We really cant expect the car to automatically slow down in a residential zone just because it knows you are in one.

That would be kind of like the car not letting someone go over the speed limit because the car saw a speed limit sign.

What it actually boils down to is, you used a feature that it sounds like you know is not ready to be used in the manner you used it in, and then are surprised or dismayed it is not working "properly". Looking at your video, it sure is a good thing you were paying attention and were not looking at your phone, because if you were looking down at that instant you almost certainly would have hit that car coming the other way.

Your analogy isnt really close at all. A better analogy is someone driving 75 MPH in a residential zone. The car will let you do it, and some people do, even though they shouldnt. We really cant expect the car to automatically slow down in a residential zone just because it knows you are in one.

FUNFACT: It actually could lol Don't give em ideas :p

Great... we lose more functionality because people CAN'T FOLLOW DIRECTIONS and need to be protected from themselves.

The feature isn't dangerous when used AS DIRECTED.
Well technically if we're following a lerdo on no one should be using Auto steer in a city driving environment. So you, as a rule follower, don't use Auto steer in a city environment correct? Therefore you would not be losing any functionality.

Well technically if we're following a lerdo on no one should be using Auto steer in a city driving environment. So you, as a rule follower, don't use Auto steer in a city environment correct? Therefore you would not be losing any functionality.

Cute. Do I follow the rules all the time? No. BUT I do stay prepared to take over immediately, generally avoid using auto-steer on city streets and don't complain when the car operates within the parameters it is currently designed to.

Not trying to sound snippy but we need to use some common sense.

Cute. Do I follow the rules all the time? No. BUT I do stay prepared to take over immediately, generally avoid using auto-steer on city streets and don't complain when the car operates within the parameters it is currently designed to.

Not trying to sound snippy but we need to use some common sense.
This whole thread has gotten ridiculous. The only reason why I even posted the video and my commentary was to ask if this was an out-of-the-ordinary experience while using Auto steer. I didn't realize so many feathers would be ruffled by my phrasing. I even colloquially acknowledged that I understand it's not intended for City use although I did not come out and spell that out. Nonetheless I appreciate the comments from some other members regarding their experience with is happening quite often. Y'all have a great night I'll stick to talking about Chrome delete and ppf

This whole thread has gotten ridiculous. The only reason why I even posted the video and my commentary was to ask if this was an out-of-the-ordinary experience while using Auto steer. I didn't realize so many feathers would be ruffled by my phrasing. I even colloquially acknowledged that I understand it's not intended for City use although I did not come out and spell that out. Nonetheless I appreciate the comments from some other members regarding their experience with is happening quite often. Y'all have a great night I'll stick to talking about Chrome delete and ppf
Naaa... don't get so defensive. We are just all hyper-sensitive to the anti-Tesla attacks that end up in the media based on posts in this forum.

Sorry it got so rough. Wasn't my intention

I'm sure you keep your hands on the wheel during ap 100 percent of the time like it says to do right?

I'll speak for myself when I say yes, yes I do keep my hands(or at least one hand like I normally have always driven) on the wheel 100% of the time.

I guess my Counterpoint to using Auto steer on city streets is that Tesla obviously knows when I'm driving on a city street. It limits my auto-steer to only 5 miles per hour above the speed limit. On a highway it does not limit my auto steer to 5 miles an hour above the speed limit. So my thinking is auto-steer is not recommended for City driving but the future is still enabled obviously. If the future was truly dangerous Tesla should disable the feature when it recognizes a driver is on a city street. It simply gives the driver overconfidence that he shouldn't have on city streets. It would almost be like if seatbelts didn't work in a crash above 80 miles an hour. Well we still wear seatbelts and sometimes have crashes going a hundred miles an hour. So should we just take our seat belts off if we go above 80 miles an hour because they're not going to work properly at 120 miles an hour? Of course not we still wear her seatbelt. Obviously not an apples-to-apples comparison but it's just something that came to mind

Please don't go down the rabbit hole of Tesla KNOWS where I am so it shouldn't.... You can try that card in court, playing it here just causes unnecessary arguments

This whole thread has gotten ridiculous. The only reason why I even posted the video and my commentary was to ask if this was an out-of-the-ordinary experience while using Auto steer. I didn't realize so many feathers would be ruffled by my phrasing. I even colloquially acknowledged that I understand it's not intended for City use although I did not come out and spell that out.

See the issue is your phrasing and even Title of your original post. You said "Autopilot Error" which would imply that AP did something wrong when it should not have. Since it is not designed at this time for city streets you can't claim the program made an error. Yes it lost it's way, but it isn't designed(explicitly) to not lose its way through an intersection yet.

You also stated your trust in AP went down...either implying that you thought AP should be flawless in the scenario and or implying that because of that one incident that you are now wary of AP at ALL times.

I also don't mean to lay in on you about all this. I am trying to be more educational and to come at posts like this from a technical standpoint instead of just saying RTFM which is not usually very helpful. Just be aware of the way you portray issues that you see.

I’m amazed that there have been no autopilot accidents on city streets.

That is an interesting observation... You would think if people were blaming city street accidents on AP that it would be all over the news, yet we don't see evidence of that.

Reactions: MP3Mike
That is an interesting observation... You would think if people were blaming city street accidents on AP that it would be all over the news, yet we don't see evidence of that.
It would definitely be in the news.
One theory is that people get in accidents and are too embarrassed to admit that they were using Autopilot in the city. I doubt this since many people have no shame.
My preferred theory is that using Autopilot in the city is so nerve wracking that users never become complacent and stop paying attention. I suspect OP will be more vigilant after his experience.

Reactions: derotam