Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot error message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just returned from a service visit. The closest service center is about 3 hours away. So, 6 hours of drive time and the 5 hours that they kept my vehicle didn't clear up my problem. I am getting a random error message that occurs after leaving your lane. The message states "Autopilot safety/convenience features unavailable may return on next drive" it does trigger a fault. So, service cannot figure out the cause. They reloaded the firmware. Buy, 3 hours after leaving the service center the error message returned. The error message shows up under the car on the screen. It goes away when the vehicle is put in park. Has anyone experienced this same problem.

I just returned from a service visit. The closest service center is about 3 hours away. So, 6 hours of drive time and the 5 hours that they kept my vehicle didn't clear up my problem. I am getting a random error message that occurs after leaving your lane. The message states "Autopilot safety/convenience features unavailable may return on next drive" it does trigger a fault. So, service cannot figure out the cause. They reloaded the firmware. Buy, 3 hours after leaving the service center the error message returned. The error message shows up under the car on the screen. It goes away when the vehicle is put in park. Has anyone experienced this same problem.

I have had the same problem; it also goes away the same as as yours. I have noticed the error after Auto Pilot complains about my need to have hands on the wheel when I actually have two hands on the wheel.

Last edited:
I've had this issue a couple weeks ago and this week noticed that my driver side camera isn't producing an image (stuck on loading). I cannot use Autopilot anymore. Will have a mobile tech come out to look at the cameras to see if it's faulty. Are your side cameras showing up when click on rear view?

I've had this issue a couple weeks ago and this week noticed that my driver side camera isn't producing an image (stuck on loading). I cannot use Autopilot anymore. Will have a mobile tech come out to look at the cameras to see if it's faulty. Are your side cameras showing up when click on rear view?
Check your camera to see if there’s moisture in the plastic strip above it. I just had mine replaced, it filled with water from a light to medium rainstorm. The camera didn’t work for 2 days and then did but still had visible water so they replaced it.

I have had the same problem; it also goes away the same as as yours. I have noticed the error after Auto Pilot complains about my need to have hands on the wheel when I actually have two hands on the wheel.
Similarly when it’s happened to me I’ve thought it was because of 1 too many alerts from the lane keeping nag. Which doesn’t seem to like my driving.

Did you install a front license plate and if so is it higher up where it would block the front radar? This is the issue I had with my model Y and the license plate wrap.

I don't know if you were responding to me or the OP. I have the CA LPW, but I haven't noticed any radar problems. I get accurate distances when parking and loads of emergency alerts when it thinks I am too close to the car in front of me. If there is a way to test it a specific place to check the LPW placement, I am unaware of it.

This exact thing happened to me yesterday after briefly leaving my lane. I turned on autopilot and it seemed to be working perfectly.. all visualizations were present on the screen and all camera views appeared normal. The message remained in til I cleared it at my first opportunity to stop and put the car in park.

I don't know if you were responding to me or the OP. I have the CA LPW, but I haven't noticed any radar problems. I get accurate distances when parking and loads of emergency alerts when it thinks I am too close to the car in front of me. If there is a way to test it a specific place to check the LPW placement, I am unaware of it.
Parking distance is from the ultrasonic sensors, the radar is used for TACC/AP (and collision avoidance). As long as the LPW is at the same location as the Tesla license plate holder would be, there shouldn't be any problem. If it is high (more in the middle of the flat bumper area vertically) you will likely have a problem.

• Informative
Reactions: 73Bruin
Having been dealing with this since Christmas update . Been to the service center 3 times and finally found out it’s normal. Never had this issue for 4 months then a new update and now is a pain. If you cross the lane keep asssit 3 times in a certain time you get the warning.

I've been getting this as well. I made an appointment to bring it in but cancelled because I don't have the time. I rebooted my car to see if maybe that will make it stop. I am wondering if errors like this are due to opting in to advanced updates as well. I wonder if a recent update has caused this. My car is incredibly clean, its nothing to do with cameras being blocked.

Does anyone else get the keep hands on the wheel alert when the road surface changes? There are times when I am driving along (mainly on a freeway at speeds over 55 and very rarely on surface streets) that the MY seems to "float" for about a half second. Each time, I get the keep hands on the wheel alert. There is one section near an offramp I often use, (that was worked on about 6 months ago) where it happens every time. Typically, I do not have the car in AP or even have cruise control on, just manual driving with both hands on the wheel. If it happens with AP on, it can trigger the no longer available message.

Having been dealing with this since Christmas update . Been to the service center 3 times and finally found out it’s normal. Never had this issue for 4 months then a new update and now is a pain. If you cross the lane keep asssit 3 times in a certain time you get the warning.
This is exactly the kind of thing that’s going to wreak havoc on Tesla Insurance rates once they switch over to using personally identifiable driving data.

Similarly when it’s happened to me I’ve thought it was because of 1 too many alerts from the lane keeping nag. Which doesn’t seem to like my driving.
I saw this message occur after I had received a few alerts to take control when accidentally drifting over a solid yellow line on the side of the road. It didn't seem to affect navigate on Autopilot except that I no longer got the nags. Perhaps, it's normal, to eliminate that safety feature, temporarily, if you repeatedly seem to be ignoring the nag by the way you drive.