Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot error -- turning into left-hand turn lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I have read that this forum is visited by Tesla development engineers on occasion. Hopefully they will read this. I use Route 1 in southeastern PA many times and on the Southbound Ln. near Chadds Ford, PA there is a left turn lane that autopilot never fails to want to turn into even though the destination is still 8 miles away.

When approaching this left-hand turn lane, autopilot brakes somewhat hard and veers to the left. From past experience, I have learned that autopilot will recover by itself but usually my reaction is to force the car to stay in lane. Still, this is very nerve-racking, could be dangerous, and must appear to the car in back that I am either drunk or cannot drive.

It would seem logical that while driving on auto steer in the left-hand lane, the computer would give more priority to the center line traffic stripe.

Attachments

• lefthand turn lane autopilot issue.jpg
    lefthand turn lane autopilot issue.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 85
Hi Bmac,

I have had a similar experience in Indiana...
With my hands on the wheel - if the front of the car crosses the solid line - the car will cross into that lane...
When I used a small amount of torque on the wheel to keep my car just to the right of the solid line
it will maintain the proper lane...

A possibility would be to press the record button: "Bug report - autopilot steers incorrectly into left turn lane."
They have your GPS data and the car films of the error and will not need to hunt for it in the forum...

Shawn

Hi Bmac,

I have had a similar experience in Indiana...
With my hands on the wheel - if the front of the car crosses the solid line - the car will cross into that lane...
When I used a small amount of torque on the wheel to keep my car just to the right of the solid line
it will maintain the proper lane...

A possibility would be to press the record button: "Bug report - autopilot steers incorrectly into left turn lane."
They have your GPS data and the car films of the error and will not need to hunt for it in the forum...

Shawn

Many thanks for the advice. I may even make a special trip to that spot to try your suggestion.

I'm guessing that all on-ramps and off-ramps in CA have dotted white lines, but they don't all have them where I live in WI, and Autopilot likes to center on the lines, so I find it moving into on-ramps near where they end (it will be fine when they are wide, but as they narrow down it will veer right), and sometimes momentarily heading into off-ramps as well (but less often than the on-ramp issue). I override and hope that I'm logging useful information for subsequent training cycles.