Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot errors in 2022.12.3.16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two days ago my M3 LR threw Autopilot Unavailable, Cruise Control Unavailable, Emergency Braking Disabled, and Online Routing Disabled messages. Unfortunately I was four states and 10+ hours from home and had to drive back home without them, like a common peasant.

I put in a service request and they were quick to respond after pulling logs that this was a known firmware error that will be corrected in a future update.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Two days ago my M3 LR threw Autopilot Unavailable, Cruise Control Unavailable, Emergency Braking Disabled, and Online Routing Disabled messages. Unfortunately I was four states and 10+ hours from home and had to drive back home without them, like a common peasant.

I put in a service request and they were quick to respond after pulling logs that this was a known firmware error that will be corrected in a future update.

I had that today. I put in a service request. Glad to know its firmware. I soft rebooted and left the car to sit for a couple hours and those things went away and I had autopilot back.

That didn’t work for me, but a hard reset returned my cruise and autopilot. Potentially the emergency braking, too. I still have the Online Routing Disabled error, though.

HARD REBOOT
Open the frunk, front driver and rear passenger doors.
From the Controls screen, go to Safety, Power Off. Power off.
Remove the plastic air intake shroud just in front of the wipers. Pull, and it snaps off.
Remove the air intake funnel. It too is held by plastic snaps.
Disconnect the positive cable from the 12 volt battery terminal . Use a 10 mm socket or wrench.
Reach about 10” in from the back seat edge where it meets the carpet and pull the lever there to the outside while lifting the seat cushion. Do this on both sides.
Lift up the front corner of the seat to reach the styrofoam block on the passenger side.
Lift the block out and set it on the floor.
The high voltage disconnect is a black rectangular plug with a gray release lever on the right side. Flip the lever upwards then pull the plug upwards to disconnect.
The car has literally no power going to the electronics. Don‘t close the doors or frunk.

I let the car sit for 90 minutes before rebooting. This was probably overkill.

Push the high voltage plug back in. Snap the gray disconnect lever down to secure.
Drop the styrofoam block back in place.
Snap the backseat back into place.
Reconnect the 12 volt battery.
Snap the air intake funnel back into place.
Snap the air intake shroud back into place.
You are done. The screen should have booted normally at this point.
All your personalized settings will be saved.

This hard reboot cleared all but one of my (apparent) firmware errors.

Yes, I did a factory reset and recalibrate the cameras, AP NAV & FSD beta returned upon completed calibration. 2018 X

That didn’t work for me, but a hard reset returned my cruise and autopilot. Potentially the emergency braking, too. I still have the Online Routing Disabled error, though.

HARD REBOOT
Open the frunk, front driver and rear passenger doors.
From the Controls screen, go to Safety, Power Off. Power off.
Remove the plastic air intake shroud just in front of the wipers. Pull, and it snaps off.
Remove the air intake funnel. It too is held by plastic snaps.
Disconnect the positive cable from the 12 volt battery terminal . Use a 10 mm socket or wrench.
Reach about 10” in from the back seat edge where it meets the carpet and pull the lever there to the outside while lifting the seat cushion. Do this on both sides.
Lift up the front corner of the seat to reach the styrofoam block on the passenger side.
Lift the block out and set it on the floor.
The high voltage disconnect is a black rectangular plug with a gray release lever on the right side. Flip the lever upwards then pull the plug upwards to disconnect.
The car has literally no power going to the electronics. Don‘t close the doors or frunk.

I let the car sit for 90 minutes before rebooting. This was probably overkill.

Push the high voltage plug back in. Snap the gray disconnect lever down to secure.
Drop the styrofoam block back in place.
Snap the backseat back into place.
Reconnect the 12 volt battery.
Snap the air intake funnel back into place.
Snap the air intake shroud back into place.
You are done. The screen should have booted normally at this point.
All your personalized settings will be saved.

This hard reboot cleared all but one of my (apparent) firmware errors.
Peter, please tell me your joking.

I didn't think to post here, this definitely makes more sense. Seems we had very similar issues.

Some additional resources I referenced while on my trip (there are many more) indicating there is no real rhyme or reason, just a series of unfortunate events resulting in some stack error, but seems it has been around for quite some time. Tesla Service doesn't seem to be able to resolved but sometimes it does "Self Heal", so to speak.