Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Experiences in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great summary Keiron, once it starts turning, you can let go and it will carry on itself.

Haha speaking of that, I was looking out the window on an Autopilot trip with my hands crossed on the door trim and a 4WD was going past. The girl in the passenger seat looked at me and saw the car obviously driving itself. After the car went past, she put her middle finger out the window at me for a few seconds. Hmm wonder what that meant? :redface: Should have given her two back.

She's telling you her middle finger is the one she uses for text messaging while looking down at her phone and not realizing her 4wd is about to run up the rear of a semi, hopefully her phone survives the carnage and she can update her facebook status.

As far as I can tell the steering column has torque reading on the pressure you apply ROTATIONAL on the steering wheel. Its not actually sensing the conductivity of your skin but the opposing torque applied by minute movements of your hands gripping the wheel upon demand. Ive been testing Autopilot is a huge variety of conditions over the past week and I can confirm that a lane change requires , Indicator on (tells the system your intent), then a demand for hold the wheel (just in case you hit indicator when you meant speed adjust), then once its happy you've 'torqued' the wheel its processes the lane change. Cant say I can fault it yet- works very reliably so far. Interestingly I get a lot of funny looks from other cars when resting back and not steering. When they creep on by at 101kms'hr the 'actively' in passing cars gets a bit animated sometimes- amusing. Even had passengers leaning out of windows taking pictures/video at speed... I dutifully wave..:biggrin:
Wave with both hands presumably!
I've found if I gently grip the wheel with my left hand and extend a finger to activate the turn signal, it changes lanes just fine. I havn't found a need to apply any rotational force to the wheel.

Gudday Paulp
The rotational force needed to convince the system your there is very small. If one drags on the wheel at a higher rate the autopilot disengages thinking you want to take control.

Its best described as a little tug.......

Yes I do wave with both hands- look like a dick- feel like a dick but proud I am in Model S and they aren't.:biggrin:

Gudday Paulp
The rotational force needed to convince the system your there is very small. If one drags on the wheel at a higher rate the autopilot disengages thinking you want to take control.

Yes I do wave with both hands- look like a dick- feel like a dick but proud I am in Model S and they aren't.:biggrin:

Just hoping that it is not an unmarked cop car....?!

Gudday Paulp

It must be an incredibly small force, as I'm convinced I only have to squeeze the wheel to change lanes. I know how to disengage AP:wink:

Drove P85D loaner today. Gave the Kids a insane moment (only about 100m). After the screams of glee ended they decided the days of ridiculous loud ICE vehicles attempt at acceleration we numbered. EV's are just cooler faster safer & more practical. The Tesla today pulled at least 4 G's

Gudday Davide,
Yep. I note its an interesting technique to get you into the prima P85D as a loaner to get you hungry for the new model.......... Are you planning on the Sydney run before Christmas? I am being nudged into the idea of visiting family over Christmas new years- maybe.

Hey Keiron Yes it was nice to get the Insane Loner, felt smaller... I would love a Sydney run just looking forward to an excuse.
As I know you do the bendigo run do you find that the AP likes to try to take right hand (U turn) exits when the car is in the right lane?

I have been trying the Autopilot around Adelaide. On the Freeway it is fantastic. On major arterial roads it works well but I agree with Paul that it is best to be in the right lane because I am never confident that it 'sees' cars parked into the left lane. I found that the Autopilot gets very confused at intersections as the lane markings dont cross the intersection and it tends to throw a bit of a wobble so I like to take over the steering before entering the intersection. I also found that any lane merges (eg. two lanes become one) throws the Autopilot into disarray.

It also does not like concrete medians. Unless they are complemented with a painted white line, it does not see them!

That is exactly right and so you run the risk of the car mounting the median strip at high speed. It also doesn't see the sides of tunells but the sonar senses certainly detect them and cause the car to give them a wider berth than normal.

But the car being programmed to see the median strip as a lane would be the first most important update to autopilot in my humble opinion. There are many more adventurous suggestions out there but this one is basic and essential and really should have been implemented in this version from the start.

That is exactly right and so you run the risk of the car mounting the median strip at high speed. It also doesn't see the sides of tunells but the sonar senses certainly detect them and cause the car to give them a wider berth than normal.

But the car being programmed to see the median strip as a lane would be the first most important update to autopilot in my humble opinion. There are many more adventurous suggestions out there but this one is basic and essential and really should have been implemented in this version from the start.
Mine has no problem detecting concrete medians. Maybe the medians in adelaide are a different profile to sydney.

I have been trying the Autopilot around Adelaide. On the Freeway it is fantastic. On major arterial roads it works well but I agree with Paul that it is best to be in the right lane because I am never confident that it 'sees' cars parked into the left lane. I found that the Autopilot gets very confused at intersections as the lane markings dont cross the intersection and it tends to throw a bit of a wobble so I like to take over the steering before entering the intersection. I also found that any lane merges (eg. two lanes become one) throws the Autopilot into disarray.

AP isnt designed at the moment for intersections and traffic lights so I would be a bit careful with them at the moment. But on the open road it works great!

I agree it’s fantastic on freeways. I’ve only been in a car for a few days but I am getting a feel for Autopilot.

As I was going into the Harbour Tunnel a few evenings back, I thought I’d try a AP activation. A challenging one in retrospect. The southern side narrows a lot & has a quick tight deviation at the entrance. AP decided to take no notice of the lane markings and follow the car in the adjacent lane. I obviously took over & corrected.

Thinking about it a few seconds later, I checked TACC distance and it was set to up close & personal at 4. Shortly after that, I increased the distance to a stand-offish 8 and it feels more comfortable now and though not sure, but maybe less likely to follow a vehicle in another lane instead of the lane markings. It’ll be interesting to see how it does next time. Then again, maybe that isn’t the best place to activate AP.

Hi All

I'm a new owner (S85D - Black), and new to this club. You can recognise me from the smile :biggrin: I just can't seem to wipe from my face. I've used the autopilot feature driving Melbourne to Metung (306 km) on open highway and just love being part of this historic next step into what will be the future of driving.

It's a little freaky when you first do that double tap, but WOW! My car drove itself!!! Yes, I kid you not. Just call me George! (Jetson to those not grasping my meaning).

I know it's early days, but a problem I did experience while trying AP, was with 'overtaking lanes'. The AP got confused (maybe just perplexed) when both lanes merged into one. My son tell me Victoria's overtaking lanes are different to everywhere else.

Has as anyone else had this experience?

Hi All

I'm a new owner (S85D - Black), and new to this club. You can recognise me from the smile :biggrin: I just can't seem to wipe from my face. I've used the autopilot feature driving Melbourne to Metung (306 km) on open highway and just love being part of this historic next step into what will be the future of driving.

It's a little freaky when you first do that double tap, but WOW! My car drove itself!!! Yes, I kid you not. Just call me George! (Jetson to those not grasping my meaning).

I know it's early days, but a problem I did experience while trying AP, was with 'overtaking lanes'. The AP got confused (maybe just perplexed) when both lanes merged into one. My son tell me Victoria's overtaking lanes are different to everywhere else.

Has as anyone else had this experience?
Welcome!
AP likes to see a line each side. If you can't see a line (or other barrier) each side then its time to be ready to assume control.
If the line each side of you starts to taper to nothing, then I would have thought AP would struggle.