Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All!
Was driving home a couple nights ago on the 5 FWY into Los Angeles with autopilot engaged and my car swerved into the next lane over and almost smashed another car. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have a 2017 p90 HW2 Model X

It looks like it saw the old lane markings. Looks like they where doing road construction there or did recently? If you watch carefully, you can see the old road markings heading if to right at the point the car veered right.

I hate to be Debbie Downer, but it's exactly things like this that I think will make a true LA-NY 100% Autopilot run essentially impossible. Those were just faint random construction markings, but light enough to fool Otto. That could happen anywhere.

Like I said before, I invite Elon Musk to tie his hands behind his back and sit in the driver seat for the famed New York to LA test drive. I'll even let him borrow my car for it.

It looks like it saw the old lane markings. Looks like they where doing road construction there or did recently? If you watch carefully, you can see the old road markings heading if to right at the point the car veered right.

Exactly. I would never run AP in a current or former construction zone or where the road has been worked on. AP is not smart enough to know better yet. Videos like this have been posted many times already.

I would never use AP in that situation especially with those jersey barriers so close...a little swerve to the left and you would not be happy!

Reading all these "AP Fails" posts here and on Reddit I wonder if Tesla should require AP training as no one seems to read the owners manual or understand what AP is and isn't capable of. AP is awesome and a technological marvel when used properly but I think some owners think it's capable of magic(tho it does seem like it at times) or something.

Last edited: