Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot fatigue reduction on long drives - initial reports?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IFR pilot here and have been certified in both the C182 and SR22. Also have an S85D. I'll keep it short:

(1) Yes, initial rollout of AP can reduce workload, but it can also increase stress if you're the type to try using it clearly in conditions where a machine would fail and seeing how far you can push it.

(2) Are you kidding? There is no way you should buy a money pit SE plane over a Tesla that is emissions free. :) Just rent the planes ... own the car. If you need an SUV, just get an X.

- K

I drove last year cross country in the Model S, without auto-pilot of course. I didn't find it particularly fatiguing.

Interesting though as I rarely use "conventional" cruise control. I find it more stressful than non-cruise control. I would be much more interested in adaptive cruise control than conventional cruise control.

SIGNIFICANT reduction of fatigue. I could actually function after being in the car 8+ hours in a day. There's a good degree of cognitive overload that happens when you're driving a car - even if you're just mindlessly steering down the road with cruise-control on. AP reduces that overload, and in a big, noticeable way.

Tesla has replace my flying (Mooney M20C) since March 2014, but I've kept the plane because I have property on one of the San Juan islands. 15 minutes ground to ground is much nicer than up to 10 hours by ferry, in the summertime.

I don't have autopilot hardware, so I just tie a stick onto the wheel and zone out.

Maybe have the best of both worlds. Buy the Tesla, and join a local flying club.
That way you can take a rental plane from the club when you want to, but still have the Tesla for everything else.
You will be able to select a better plane for those trips that need it, and a smaller one for just taking friends up for a ride.
Bet you come out tons of $$$ ahead.

As others have stated, in a piston single your dispatch rate will be low. You can't count on being anywhere on time with this type of aircraft.
Even if you had a pressurized, de-iced turbine, it's safer to leave flying to others if you have an important meeting.

Yes, flying is expensive. Owning an aircraft makes sense only if you fly a lot. 100-200 hrs per year.
The good side is that the airplane is always there when you feel like flying and more importantly, you know that no one has been fiddling with it prior to your flight.

Wow, many pilots here on the forum. GA pilot (VFR) and former Cessna owner from Norway here. The total cost of operating that aircraft will be much larger than the car, but then again flying is more fun than driving... I used to commute by air (but a route which is under 300 km by car) on a weekly basis, when weather and plane status allowed. Now, I was more inclined to get home to the family on those days, and that following the weather closely to see if I should go early etc was a stress factor for me. In the end I wound up going by plane far less often then I thought when I bought it, although the Norwegian winters (both in weather and length of day light flying) was a factor.

- - - Updated - - -

I should also add that the Tesla (no autopilot yet here in Norway) is an order of magnitude less tiring to drive then my old diesel Audi. Really.

As others, I am an aircraft pilot too. ATP SMEL(CE500S,CE525S, LRJET,IAJET, DA10), Rotorcraft Helicopter etc. Without question in my mind autopilot allows for improved attention to environment but also can increase tension. When in difficult conditions the autopilot is very useful but tension increases because one must be ready to instantly take control when/if autopilot fails. I have had that happen in airplanes (e.g. a LR25 in moderate turbulence) and in the Tesla (typically crossing bridges and highway exits). I am far less fatigued in the Tesla than in an airplane, not least because ti is quieter and generally performs with greater consistency.

The again the Tesla is almost Ludicrously cheaper than the airplanes I've owned. Of course it's not easy to drive a Tesla across an ocean.