Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Faulty Or Driver Error On Sr+ M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried Autopilot for the first time. On the freeway at night with few cars on the road. Worked as expected driving forward in it's lane. However lane changed didn't work. And worse later on, it started to drift off in the opposite direction off the road without any engagement of the turn signal. Scared the crap out of me. So my question is, with SR+ is lane change not a feature of the autopilot and does night driving affect it's function?

Lane change is not a feature of basic autopilot at all on any version of the 3.

You need either FSD (for March 2019 or newer cars) or Enhanced Autopilot (only available on pre-march-2019 cars)

The drift thing sounds like you disengaged autosteer (by moving the wheel too far) and didn't notice until you began drifting out of lane.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
Lane change is not a feature of basic autopilot at all on any version of the 3.

You need either FSD (for March 2019 or newer cars) or Enhanced Autopilot (only available on pre-march-2019 cars)

The drift thing sounds like you disengaged autosteer (by moving the wheel too far) and didn't notice until you began drifting out of lane.
Ah. Very helpful, thank you. Although Im pretty sure I didn't move the steering enough, it's still very possible that's what it was.

If you hit the turn single, autopilot disengages almost as soon as you move the wheel (requires no force). Very easy to hit the turn single and disengage at the same time.

Thankfully auto lane departure avoidance keeps you from leaving the highway.

Reactions: Pegann
Make sure you hear the two tones when engaging or disengaging AP and that the gray steering wheel icon turns blue when engaging.
Yes. Noted both the blue steering wheel and the parallel lines on both sides of the avatar. so I don't know, it's probably most likely me handling the wheel with too much pressure as suggested by Knightshade.

...it started to drift off in the opposite direction off the road...

1) The name "Autopilot" is designed so that if there's a crash, it's always human aviation pilot's or roadway driver's fault even when there's clearly the system is the cause in the chain of sequence that leads to the crash.

It's designed for those who are licensed to fly or to drive even in the presence of Autopilot.

2) In addition to the above, it's also in Beta. The expectation of Beta is it is not finished. It's easy to know that hardware is not finished but many people do not expect that when it comes to software or Tesla Autopilot.

For example, if the home construction said that my home is not finished then I am not surprised to look up the ceiling and see no ceiling but the sky. If the roof is not there, then that's because the home is not done!

However, when it comes to Autopilot, Consumer Reports were shocked that Navigation on Autopilot is far less competent than a human driver. They just don't understand that it's not a finished product just yet!

3) That said, I want to know what are the system's limitations so I install the camera to monitor the autopilot screen and the road so I can review later since 2017.

By reviewing it, I would learn what the system's inefficiencies are and how I can learn to drive with it.

4) Back to your question of lane drifting, it could happen in early versions in very tight corner cases. Nowadays, I don't see that much at all.

When I let another driver used Autopilot, I observe lane drifting usually happened because the driver disabled the Autosteer with a manual torque. When the driver realized it, the driver would turn the Autopilot back on but unsuccessfully as evidenced by the still unlit Autosteer Icon. Thus, the driver then blamed the Autopilot for the lane drift and then reactivated the Autopilot again.

5) So, in summary. it is prudent to:

1/ just drive the way you've been licensed to drive. Don't let your car drift out of lane.
2/ Install a camera documenting both the autopilot and the road if you want to know what happened.

• Disagree
Reactions: Electroman
Tam - you can stop your exaggerations, fear mongering and some outright false information.

If lane changing didn't work, it could be due to not enabling that feature in the settings menu.

Additionally AP maintains the car religious in the center of the lane much much better than a human being. Humans tend to randomly drift within a lane, but AP doesn't do that. So if AP drifted to another lane, it is without a doubt disengaged.

So this is my advice to OP:

- Take some time understanding how to gently move the wheel without disengaging AP. Every beginner I gave a test drive, made the mistake of over-steering and disengaging, not steering enough.
- Learn to understand the difference between the sound for dis-engagement and engagement of AP.
- for next few weeks until you get fully comfortable, use it in the middle lane of the highway and stay at the speed limit.

...If lane changing didn't work, it could be due to not enabling that feature in the settings menu...

Most likely, we are not talking about the good old Enhanced Autopilot that is capable of Auto Lane Changing and someone just forgot to turn it on.

What we are most likely talking about is the brand new Autopilot that is incapable of Auto Lane Changing and someone just forgot to pay for the feature.

If a brand new Autopilot owner wants Auto Lane Changing, they need to pay more to get it under FSD price package.