Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot feature lag gripe.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this is completely pointless, but I just want to vent somewhere about how far behind we are in autopilot features in Australia. It's killing me to see new features being rolled out for V10, yet we still don't have Navigate on Autopilot that was rolled out in V9. If V9 was anything to go off, we won't be getting V10 for possibly 6 months, and even then enhanced summon will be at least another year. Yes I understand validation blah blah, but who cares, we're still over a year behind.

Rant over. Feel free to add your complaints.

I know this is completely pointless, but I just want to vent somewhere about how far behind we are in autopilot features in Australia. It's killing me to see new features being rolled out for V10, yet we still don't have Navigate on Autopilot that was rolled out in V9. If V9 was anything to go off, we won't be getting V10 for possibly 6 months, and even then enhanced summon will be at least another year. Yes I understand validation blah blah, but who cares, we're still over a year behind.

Rant over. Feel free to add your complaints.
Agree with you. Nanny state. Can't do anything about it. We're behind in so many other things as well (including car emissions standards which I could rant on about...)

I'm curious as to whether UK has features we don't? In other words is it just that it takes longer to validate for RHD markets compared to LHD, is it our government regulations or is it just that each market is different (different road signs, line markings, etc) which all have to be validated and Australia is just towards the bottom of the list as they probably do it in order of the number of cars in each country when working out the order to work through?

I should add though that I don't really care as I only have AP1 anyway and I am happy with what my car can currently do and probably wouldn't use the extra features anyway!

I'm curious as to whether UK has features we don't? In other words is it just that it takes longer to validate for RHD markets compared to LHD, is it our government regulations or is it just that each market is different (different road signs, line markings, etc) which all have to be validated and Australia is just towards the bottom of the list as they probably do it in order of the number of cars in each country when working out the order to work through?

I should add though that I don't really care as I only have AP1 anyway and I am happy with what my car can currently do and probably wouldn't use the extra features anyway!

Have a look at this guy's videos - he has a Model X and more recently a Model 3, both with FSD. There's a lot of driving around the UK testing those features. Spoiler --> Yes...the UK has more stuff enabled than we do including Navigate on Autopilot which works on most motorways there.

Tesla Driver

• Informative
Reactions: strykeroz
Politics aside, I'd place a fair wager that the reason we don't have navigate on autopilot is more a matter of what NOA is.

NOA will navigate between freeways and I'm talking about real freeways, no traffic lights, no give way signs, no stop signs, no slowing down merging from one freeway to another, just endless roads.

There's very few roads that match that description in Australia.

Reactions: Hovean
Politics aside, I'd place a fair wager that the reason we don't have navigate on autopilot is more a matter of what NOA is.

NOA will navigate between freeways and I'm talking about real freeways, no traffic lights, no give way signs, no stop signs, no slowing down merging from one freeway to another, just endless roads.

There's very few roads that match that description in Australia.
That's true, but it also does self-selected lane changing on freeways, which we have bucketloads of.

Well theres these few main problems.
First one is just regulation. Pretty much every state has their own process for autonomous vehicles and while some are welcoming some.. arent as friendly.
This can cause a problem for example is someone is driving in Victoria who lets say has pretty lax restrictions and drives into South Australia which might have strict restrictions that can cause some major problems.

Second one is our road design is completely different to America and Europe
Some of our freeways finish by connecting to completely random main roads with traffic lights or even have random roundabouts on them. Also we have very variable speed limits on our freeways where in America it pretty much stays the same throughout the entire freeway. Pretty much our road design is just a nightmare.

All this relies on up to date maps which Tesla just dont really have in Australia at the moment. These maps would also have to be updated constantly and Australia likes to changes it infrastructure very often.
Also half of Melbournes (and most of Australia) freeways are pretty much a construction site at the moment which would further hurt NoA and could possibly cause an incident.

I personally dont believe that NoA wont happen in Australia unless there are constantly updated maps available (which at the moment.. no) or the cars sensors is able to pick up street signs and random roundabouts popping out of nowhere. Which at the moment is... no, but soon, probably.

People keep talking about Australian regulations. No one I have seen have actually specified which regulations are being talk about as an impediment to implementation here. What are they?
The president of TOCA investigated, and there are precisely zero regulations that preclude any of the current autopilot features available in the USA. It's not at all about regulation, that's a good excuse that Tesla can use. It's just their time to validate their software works in AU.

Well this is opinionated but I think it has to do with blame laws.
At the moment if you crash your vehicle its considered to always be the driver at fault.. but what if the driver isnt well, driving. It could be blamed on Tesla which isn't exactly great for the company. Some states have changed this (Victoria is one I know of) and we should be getting Australia wide shortly.

You can read more about 'automated vehicle' laws here this is from Victoria though.
Parliament of Victoria - Automated Vehicles

Australia wide laws are either already here or coming soon, apparently by around 2020. But thats in political time so its 3020.
Automated Vehicles in Australia
Preparing for Automated Vehicles

Atleast they are laying down the groundwork for automated vehicles and are actually taking them seriously, I was pretty worried they would have just locked down everything but they havent

In Victoria it seems pretty damn good, I think its just road design and maps then. But lets also consider the fact they we are a pretty niche market too, we have zero incentives for EV's infact a disincentive with our luxury car tax. Its not exactly a priority in Australia at the moment.

I'm not saying that its regulations entirely but its definitely playing a part.

At least there is acknowledgement and talk/debate.
The laws are as they have always been. When there is a change in legislation, there will be wide public dissemination.
As a driver, you have to be in effective control of your vehicle - as per levels 0 - 3 autonomy. When mobile phones came in you could talk without penalty if you could show you were in effective control. Now, it is an offence to use whilst driving as it has been deemed at law to be unsafe and not being in effective control whilst using/handling.
Is hands off wheel being in effective control? Yes, if you can prove you were; no, if the police can prove you were not. Not enough accidents/deaths to warrant legislation on that point. Legislation is usually reactive to events, not proactive for perceived future events.

At the moment if you crash your vehicle its considered to always be the driver at fault.. but what if the driver isnt well, driving. It could be blamed on Tesla which isn't exactly great for the company. Some states have changed this (Victoria is one I know of) and we should be getting Australia wide shortly.

You can read more about 'automated vehicle' laws here this is from Victoria though.
Parliament of Victoria - Automated Vehicles

Australia wide laws are either already here or coming soon, apparently by around 2020. But thats in political time so its 3020.
Automated Vehicles in Australia
Preparing for Automated Vehicles

Atleast they are laying down the groundwork for automated vehicles and are actually taking them seriously, I was pretty worried they would have just locked down everything but they havent

In Victoria it seems pretty damn good, I think its just road design and maps then. But lets also consider the fact they we are a pretty niche market too, we have zero incentives for EV's infact a disincentive with our luxury car tax. Its not exactly a priority in Australia at the moment.

I'm not saying that its regulations entirely but its definitely playing a part.
But autopilot as a full hands on feature - which navigate on autopilot is - doesn't fall into any of those categories. Yes, if we were talking about Partial or Full Self Driving, but that's not what is even available, let alone what I'm complaining is lacking here.

Reactions: corndog
My frustration with this lead me to cancel my 3 orders. I had an S for 3 years and got a little bored with the lack of keeping up with the US features. Basically, the 3 now has no more features than my S, 3 years ago.

Frustrating. I've tried to get a response out of Elon (having had a few responses) but none on this topic.