Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot feature removed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove a MS for the first time on Monday, and I really enjoyed the 3-point turn AP feature to reverse into a parking spot. The sales guy said it's supposed to be used for charging at a super charger, but it obviously can be used in any parking lot where there is an empty spot between two cars.

Two days later, I went with my brother-in-law to test drive a MX and the feature was not in the car and the different sales guy said they were having trouble with it and it was removed. I was surprised and I'm not sure if the guy knew exactly what he was talking about and he wasn't as knowledgeable as the first sales guy.

Was this feature removed?

Do you have this feature currently if you own a MS or MX?

Uhm! Hold on for a second! The "perpendicular park" feature is part of autopilot convenience features. It works only sometimes :) .. but .. it is part of the car, and it is not removed certainly. The reason it works only sometimes is because it's a bit picky on finding the right spot. If you pull next to a spot between two cars, a "P" shows up and you hit a button and it does park in the way you describe.

Sounds like the sales guy was misquoting the details there to you! Usually Tesla sales people are quite well informed, so kinda surprising. .. unless I totally misunderstood you!

Sounds like a typical car salesman tactic which is disappointing to see at Tesla...

No the feature hasn't been removed but it is a bit finicky as to when you can use the perpendicular auto-park so instead of making the feature look bad trying to find a good demo case, it's just easier to say Tesla removed it because of X reason.

At least that's what it sounds like to me...

Jeff

Sounds like a typical car salesman tactic which is disappointing to see at Tesla...

No the feature hasn't been removed but it is a bit finicky as to when you can use the perpendicular auto-park so instead of making the feature look bad trying to find a good demo case, it's just easier to say Tesla removed it because of X reason.

Jeff
Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that angle. I just assumed the guy was clueless not that he lacked integrity. :)

Uhm! Hold on for a second! The "perpendicular park" feature is part of autopilot convenience features. It works only sometimes :) .. but .. it is part of the car, and it is not removed certainly. The reason it works only sometimes is because it's a bit picky on finding the right spot. If you pull next to a spot between two cars, a "P" shows up and you hit a button and it does park in the way you describe.

Sounds like the sales guy was misquoting the details there to you! Usually Tesla sales people are quite well informed, so kinda surprising. .. unless I totally misunderstood you!

You understood correctly! Seems like he just didn't know what he was talking about and decided to say the feature wasn't available.

My guess is that Sales guy meant that the management of this showroom decided that since this feature is hard to demo consistently, they should turn that feature off in the demo vehicle (or say that it has been disabled). Local decision.

I test drove a MS for the first time on Monday, and I really enjoyed the 3-point turn AP feature to reverse into a parking spot. The sales guy said it's supposed to be used for charging at a super charger, but it obviously can be used in any parking lot where there is an empty spot between two cars.

Was this feature removed?

Do you have this feature currently if you own a MS or MX?

I was out parallel/perpendiular parking for grins and "wowed" some locals (only Tesla in town) yesterday (6/30) definitely there and working, though as many have mentioned, it is particular about finding suitable spots. Otherwise, it does one helluva job!

Jeff
Back up a sec. Tesla employees are just people. So are car salesmen at dealerships. So are government officials. It's all just us, like it or not. The only thing that differs is policy. Tesla has a different kind of policy from traditional dealerships, but that won't stop an employee from occasionally saying something dumb that isn't true or failing to properly communicate something.

@Op -- Feel free to go back and try to clear things up for the both of you; just be polite about it -- treat it as a friendly discussion, and not as though you think they are an idiot and are setting them straight -- as pissing someone off never accomplishes anything unless the goal was just to piss them off.

The one time I used this feature in public, it took so long I had a stack of cars waiting and honking at me lol. They really need to make it more fluid instead of unnecessary 3 point turns. Also given the fact that some Fords (et al) can do this, it's not overly impressive to people anymore. I'd rather use my awesome rear camera and monitor to do it myself in a quick and easy fashion.